Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" hold up to the current version?  (Read 1132 times)

72b7eac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I started to play browsing the wiki but I think I'd prefer to have the game full screen while referring to something else.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile

It was outdated by the time the original version went to print, as it happens. I thought the paper edition it got updated once, but I can't find any reference to that (mine's first edition,) and he used to send out updates electronically if you bought it directly from the publisher, but I don't see that on the  O'Reilly sales page anymore, interestingly.

The Amazon page only promises:

"Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" is current to the April 2012 releases of Dwarf Fortress. It's full of art, and I'm told, humor and good guidance. I hope you enjoy it!"

It's pretty outdated, but I must admit it looks great on the shelf!
Team Bug Fix!

72b7eac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

It was outdated by the time the original version went to print, as it happens. I thought the paper edition it got updated once, but I can't find any reference to that (mine's first edition,) and he used to send out updates electronically if you bought it directly from the publisher, but I don't see that on the  O'Reilly sales page anymore, interestingly.

The Amazon page only promises:

"Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" is current to the April 2012 releases of Dwarf Fortress. It's full of art, and I'm told, humor and good guidance. I hope you enjoy it!"

It's pretty outdated, but I must admit it looks great on the shelf!

I guess I'll keep to the wiki then. Thanks  ;)

recneps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is pretty dated, but most of the information is pretty decent.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile

Just play full screen and tab to the wiki.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.