Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Petitioners should remember they're not welcome (for some time, at least)  (Read 1425 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have the issue that it's largely the same set of visitors who petition, again and again, seemingly returning more or less immediately after being turned away (I looked at the thoughts of one with DFHack for some other reason, and that bugger was still angry about having been rejected from the last time, and it wasn't a remembered thought (and I hadn't rejected the petition yet again yet, at that point).
It doesn't help that the buggers break down mentally when rejected from time to time, and then break down again remembering being rejected...

Visitors who have been turned away (including performance troupes, dammit!), should have some cool down during with they don't return, and then some during they don't petition. A ballpark suggestion would be something like 1+1 year.

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Petitioners should remember they're not welcome (for some time, at least)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 05:21:05 pm »

*insert Trump-wall joke here*  :P

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 10:26:33 pm »

*insert Trump-wall joke here*  :P
*Goblinite pays for it*
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 04:57:09 am »

Please keep your politics out of the forum. I have my opinion about Trump (and others), but this is not the place for it.

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 05:41:14 am »

That why I left it open to the reader to make the joke.
Besides, the post was about the meme, not the man. ;)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 08:05:52 am »

Accept him then expel him or offload them on another site on the latest 44.12 typically to get rid of dead weight.

Yeah, given your description it does sound like it could do with a little altering, doesn't the visitor have better places to be, family to visit? Maybe they're a insistent artifact theif?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 08:43:26 am »

I can't sent them to other sites as that's not working for dead civs (there's no way to get any sites, as raiding doesn't work, and there's no civ to seed hillocks). I've never tried expelling anyone yet, but accepting 50 or so constantly returning petitioners and then kicking them out would be rather tedious, not to mention accepting and kicking out the dozen or so constantly petitioning performance troupes, as I'd first have to find which buggers that black box purchase contained.

I'm currently using DFHack to name the ones I don't want (which requires effort, of course) so I can recognize them immediately when they come back.

<rant>
I'm probably going to try expelling the 3 monster hunters I hired to hunt monsters. Having left caverns open for months, they've spent their time reading, drinking, socializing, and praying, rather than tackle the monsters I actually wanted attacked. In the mean time my cage traps have filled up with various cavern critters trying to enter the fortress. Hmpf! </end of rant>

Edit: It turned out I could actually order the monster slayers to be sent away to a cave that linked itself to my site economically.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 08:52:43 am by PatrikLundell »

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 10:06:28 am »

You could always set up a "Party Room" for unwanted petitioners and performers... O:)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 04:13:30 pm »

Patrick, sending away is always an option regardless of how many sites you have. The only barrier is the "child not present" bug which I imagine isn't an issue in your dead civs.

Incidentally this whole problem is mainly due to you playing a dead civ. Bards often travel to other related sites in rotation in normal worlds. Getting more practice, coming back with a higher rep and petitioning again is perfectly normal. That's what adventurers do.

The game just isn't balanced for dead civ play.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 04:48:19 pm »

@Shonai_Dweller: I doubt my issue has anything to do with my civ being dead. There are plenty of other civs and sites, including dwarven ones, so it's not as if there aren't anywhere else to go (and if there weren't, I wouldn't get any visitors, as I've seen in pocket worlds, even when there ought to have been enough people around). Obviously, they're not from my civ but mostly from the human ones and dwarven ones (and far too few from the elven ones).

I don't see why the "child not present" bug wouldn't affect dead civs when accepting unwanted petitioners to send them away (which is what was suggested).

My issue isn't with petitioners returning eventually, but with them returning far too quickly, and the petitioners seemingly not getting any new blood (with the old ones dying off in my tavern at the beginning of each year at the rate of about one per year, with a visitor cap of 50). And I doubt they actually get any new skills either, although I haven't checked.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 04:58:31 pm »

@Shonai_Dweller: I doubt my issue has anything to do with my civ being dead. There are plenty of other civs and sites, including dwarven ones, so it's not as if there aren't anywhere else to go (and if there weren't, I wouldn't get any visitors, as I've seen in pocket worlds, even when there ought to have been enough people around). Obviously, they're not from my civ but mostly from the human ones and dwarven ones (and far too few from the elven ones).

I don't see why the "child not present" bug wouldn't affect dead civs when accepting unwanted petitioners to send them away (which is what was suggested).

My issue isn't with petitioners returning eventually, but with them returning far too quickly, and the petitioners seemingly not getting any new blood (with the old ones dying off in my tavern at the beginning of each year at the rate of about one per year, with a visitor cap of 50). And I doubt they actually get any new skills either, although I haven't checked.
Bards have a tendency to set up cyclic routes within a civ for some reason. Seems like they're trying to do this but coming straight back to your site each time as its the only one instead of just moving on to other civs.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 02:15:08 am »

They're not coming straight back. Legends info shows they're visiting other sites, but they have a tendency to cycle through only a small number of sites, rather than wander "randomly" or go on bigger tours.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 07:20:33 am »

mfw (my face when) your site is just some backwater dump all the bards offload on to dispense their drivel because the local sizable human towns wont host amatuers.  :P

Lets hope organisations (like guilds) in towns for bards in this particular example could give them a bit more training, mentoring and direction towards both expanding their horizons & touring much more effectively.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 10:29:55 am »

Yes, the same old losers get old. And I tried the "hire and offload" method, and it failed miserably: the first one I tried it on refused to move due to absent kids... Fortunately I was prepared and save scummed to the quicksave made just in case of that happening.

I'm using an alternative, much costlier version: hire them, train them to legendary status, and send them to raid something or chase an artifact. When/if the bug gets fixed so they come back I should have an army to start doing some serious harm to the gobbos (although half of the buggers will probably have died of old age by then).

And I think the reason all the losers come to me is that the NPCs have got a working bouncer system ;)

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 06:56:06 pm »

I love how poets are the zit on society in DF.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]