Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Playing as existing historical characters.

<< < (2/30) > >>

KittyTac:
Maybe there could be multiple settings for the points system?

GoblinCookie:

--- Quote from: KittyTac on August 03, 2018, 08:06:47 am ---Good idea. But can we add a switch in the settings to disable this if someone wants to bring ruin to the world without repercussions? Like, in the advanced worldgen settings. That way, everyone is satisfied, both those who want to mess around and those who want to play fairly. If you want a points system, just disable that setting.

Either way, GoblinCookie, I am soon going on a train, and the response to your counterargument (if any) will be likely written tomorrow.

--- End quote ---

We don't need the switch.  The fact it is all raws based, means you can just mod all entities positions point requirements to be 0.  That has the advantage that you cannot modify entity raws for actual entities, so you only get to cheat if that is what you deliberately set up to start with.

--- Quote from: KittyTac on August 03, 2018, 09:24:51 am ---I guess that ends the argument before it started. It's planned, just pretty far away. There is no need to think that it shouldn't exist. A per-world setting, just what I wanted.

--- End quote ---

Let's see if any of you can spot the major flaw with my idea, before I edit it in a solution for it in tomorrow.   :)

--- Quote from: Manveru Taurënér on August 03, 2018, 09:13:15 am ---There's loads on the subject throughout the dftalks, quoting the major bits in case it's helpful to anyone ^^

--- End quote ---

:) :) You are being very helpful Manveru. 

GoblinCookie:
The major flaw is this: I did not consider the pricing of heirs to positions.

As my OP stands, at the moment a prince that stands to inherit the throne will likely cost nothing to play.  However if he arranges for his dad to have an 'accident' then the throne will be his, not only will the player now be able to cause problems for the civ they don't like but they also get 10000 extra points they did not have before since they rose to a higher position.  They can cause a ton of trouble for the civilization they rule and the play can simply retire as soon as their civilization takes revenge on them, meaning he can store those points indefinitely to create mayhem in future. 

KittyTac:

--- Quote from: GoblinCookie on August 04, 2018, 05:44:47 am ---The major flaw is this: I did not consider the pricing of heirs to positions.

As my OP stands, at the moment a prince that stands to inherit the throne will likely cost nothing to play.  However if he arranges for his dad to have an 'accident' then the throne will be his, not only will the player now be able to cause problems for the civ they don't like but they also get 10000 extra points they did not have before since they rose to a higher position.  They can cause a ton of trouble for the civilization they rule and the play can simply retire as soon as their civilization takes revenge on them, meaning he can store those points indefinitely to create mayhem in future.

--- End quote ---
What about placing a cost on any member of the royal family? Maybe half of the cost of playing the king.

IndigoFenix:
I was thinking something similar, but instead of being tied to noble positions it is tied to how loyal another character is to you (where "loyalty" works in the sense of both subjects of a ruler and close friends or partners).  The system could use the currently unused "worship" variable when relating to mortal relationships.

In practice this would be similar to your suggestion, while also solving the issue of "pricing": it's not the rank that's important, but how the historical figure in question sees that rank.  If you're playing a newly ascended king, you can't switch to a member of a group who opposes your rule (depending on how strict you wany to be, maybe only those who actively support your rule would be playable) .  You need to put in some investment before you can take command of any random civ member.

Also, even without playing as a noble, this would allow you to switch to any of your long time adventuring partners, or anyone who respects you enough to follow your commands or fight for your cause.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version