Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Playing as existing historical characters.  (Read 15977 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playing as existing historical characters.
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2018, 06:30:02 am »

Waiting for an actual answer. What if he changed his mind? DFTalks were a while ago.

God-powers by default is silly, so I rather hope that he has not changed his mind.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2018, 07:46:59 am »

Waiting for an actual answer. What if he changed his mind? DFTalks were a while ago.

God-powers by default is silly, so I rather hope that he has not changed his mind.
I'd like god-powers by default (I like causing chaos for fun), so I hope he has changed his mind.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2018, 09:17:47 am »

I'd like god-powers by default (I like causing chaos for fun), so I hope he has changed his mind.

Does your love of causing chaos extend to this forum by any chance?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2018, 09:28:48 am »

Does your love of causing chaos extend to this forum by any chance?
Sounds like a possible hobby for you rather than me. You start all of the shitstorms here. You are always at the receiving end of dogpiles. :)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2018, 03:48:23 pm »

Groan.  Can we try and keep the ad hominem to a minimum for once?  Let's just pretend the past two posts to have never happened.

Instead let's discuss some alternate possible models for how the limits on playing as historical characters could work, when and if such limits are implemented as a default or non-default option.

Personally, I'm in favor of a system that essentially treats a world as a single "story", building off of something like Lord of the Rings as an example.

You start by playing as generic peasant Frodo who goes wandering with his small party of travelers.  The Fellowship is formed.  Now there are nine main characters who are all loyal to the same "cause".  This means that all nine characters become playable.  When they stop traveling together, the story splits up; the player can choose to follow any character that was part of the Fellowship, which is what the books do.  One of the characters even rises up to become a king, which in this circumstance would give the player a great deal of control over this particular part of the world.

As the player explores the world and interacts with more people, "the player's story" expands to include more of the world.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2018, 09:14:33 pm »

What counts as "part of the story"? If you start playing as a little hobbit dude and then join a group, and then when the group splits up you decide to follow the human warrior and he dies a grisly death, what are now our options for playable characters?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2018, 10:36:56 pm »

There should be an ini setting that defaults to OFF. Players do not need nor want protection of the story.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2018, 12:22:31 am »

What counts as "part of the story"? If you start playing as a little hobbit dude and then join a group, and then when the group splits up you decide to follow the human warrior and he dies a grisly death, what are now our options for playable characters?

Presumably any member of the group you were once part of. In order to join a group with someone you must more or less have a positive relationship with them so this in itself could prevent abuse.

If there is a plan to give commands to group members, maybe only group members who are loyal enough to command can count.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2018, 06:38:37 pm »

I propose that we put this argument on hold until Toady says something about game balance. It's his game after all, he knows what he wants in it.

0.44.10 and 0.44.11's stress changes had the explicit goal of game balance, with personality changes and memories as sweet little bonuses. 0.31.11 and 0.31.09 were also balance patches, this time for combat.

in general toady cares about balance but only if it's really out of whack--the stress patches happened because 0.44.09 had everyone be constantly superhappy all the time and 0.44.10 had everyone be a stress pot completely unable to function if they saw a dead body, while 0.31.11 and 0.31.09 happened because combat was just absurdly broken in a variety of ways, some of which are still issues to this day

not to mention the danger room change...

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2018, 09:45:48 pm »

I propose that we put this argument on hold until Toady says something about game balance. It's his game after all, he knows what he wants in it.

0.44.10 and 0.44.11's stress changes had the explicit goal of game balance, with personality changes and memories as sweet little bonuses. 0.31.11 and 0.31.09 were also balance patches, this time for combat.

in general toady cares about balance but only if it's really out of whack--the stress patches happened because 0.44.09 had everyone be constantly superhappy all the time and 0.44.10 had everyone be a stress pot completely unable to function if they saw a dead body, while 0.31.11 and 0.31.09 happened because combat was just absurdly broken in a variety of ways, some of which are still issues to this day

not to mention the danger room change...
This won't actually break the game, though. So Toady won't implement the point system.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2018, 10:54:41 pm »

I agree that this particular suggestion isn't an issue of balance so much as verisimilitude. It'd be silly if Inira the Gilded Flame of Reaching the 500-year-old dragon decided to sprint off a cliff at random, but that's just as much a problem as if Bomrek the bard did so, by any account.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2018, 11:00:13 pm »

I agree that this particular suggestion isn't an issue of balance so much as verisimilitude. It'd be silly if Inira the Gilded Flame of Reaching the 500-year-old dragon decided to sprint off a cliff at random, but that's just as much a problem as if Bomrek the bard did so, by any account.
If you do not want for that to happen, well, don't do it. That's it. DF is a single-player game.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2018, 07:02:44 am »

There should be an ini setting that defaults to OFF. Players do not need nor want protection of the story.

*You* don't want protection of the story, not 'players'.  This whole idea does not work on an ini setting, so I don't see why you are demanding one, it works based upon the raws and the world-generation settings. 

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2018, 07:04:31 am »

*You* don't want protection of the story, not 'players'.  This whole idea does not work on an ini setting, so I don't see why you are demanding one, it works based upon the raws and the world-generation settings.
Most people who posted here did not, in fact, want protection of the story.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2018, 07:26:45 am »

this definitely is more worldgen setting territory than raws or init though
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10