Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eternal CCG  (Read 1788 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Eternal CCG
« on: August 03, 2018, 05:17:47 pm »

Let me be preacher for this game, free on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/531640/Eternal_Card_Game/

I've been enjoying this game for the better part of 8 or 9 months now. It's probably the best free CCG on the market, that's including MTG:A. Aside from being very generous, it has a deep lore that is getting expanded each month, a large number of cool events, and a wealth of cool aesthetic touches that just add to the feel of the game enormously.

The game is still in "Early Access" but that's hogwash, it's a finished game with several expansions, and the developers (Dire Wolf Digital) are just being reluctant to give it a full release as they put on the finishing touches. It's basically up to the fans to advertise through word of mouth, so here I am: go try it out if you ever liked Hearthstone or MTG, because it stands eye-to-eye with them, if not over them completely.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Eternal CCG
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 07:27:16 pm »

I... I tried. Got through three of the faintly mind-numbing tutorial story things (so nine, ten matches in) and couldn't keep going. Dunno if it's eternal's fault, per se*, though. Something about the general hearthstone-esq design just rubs me real wrong. I like card games of the general ilk, by and large, but for whatever reason just the raw aesthetics of it alone are a pretty serious turnoff. Didn't see anything that drew me in enough to offset that before that plus the please-let-me-stab-the-devs-for-this intro sequence ran me off :-\

* Though those tutorial story things mentioned are borderline cancer -- one or two handhold rounds to familiarize I can accept, fif-fucking-teen (plus, counting the very first) is a bit gorram much.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 08:13:04 pm »

There's also a pretty convincing negative review up about the combined issue of massive minimum deck size, land flood/drought, and the difficulty of getting 3+ copies of the legendary you want for a deck.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 09:28:09 pm »

I... I tried. Got through three of the faintly mind-numbing tutorial story things (so nine, ten matches in) and couldn't keep going. Dunno if it's eternal's fault, per se*, though. Something about the general hearthstone-esq design just rubs me real wrong. I like card games of the general ilk, by and large, but for whatever reason just the raw aesthetics of it alone are a pretty serious turnoff. Didn't see anything that drew me in enough to offset that before that plus the please-let-me-stab-the-devs-for-this intro sequence ran me off :-\

* Though those tutorial story things mentioned are borderline cancer -- one or two handhold rounds to familiarize I can accept, fif-fucking-teen (plus, counting the very first) is a bit gorram much.

Okay, yeah, the tutorial is a bit much, and I imagine they're reluctant to cut down on it because it doubles as the introduction to some major characters and their bit in the story. There's a weirdly large and detailed story attached to the game; it's not grade A writing, but the effort is there.

There's also a pretty convincing negative review up about the combined issue of massive minimum deck size, land flood/drought, and the difficulty of getting 3+ copies of the legendary you want for a deck.

I'd argue the first two are simply matters of deckbuilding skill. Getting any given card is a matter of crafting. It's a collectible card game, so not everything is available from the get-go, but the game's F2P economy is the most generous of any game I can think of. Any card you might need, provided you have enough Shiftstone (the game's crafting currency) you can just craft any card you need. There's a lot of legendaries, but they're not necessary, you can build good decks without them.

EDIT: Actually, I should add, the game got a lot more economical recently. They added a new mechanic with Merchants, that allow you to pull cards from a five card sideboard. This lets you vastly improve the consistency of your decks, with being able to exchange excess lands for gas, exchange excess gas to grab lands you need, you can keep a singleton legendary in your Market sideboard (so you don't need 3+ legends, you just need 4 merchants to grab your 1 legend), which are much cheaper and more versatile). Just so much going on in this game.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:01:36 pm by JoshuaFH »

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 05:44:27 pm »

I've tried to get into this game two or three times now but I just... I can't... The tutorial sucks, but the MINIMUM 75 card deck is just excessive and, honestly, kinda intimidating. How can, even remotely, be expected to be able to fully build out a 75 card deck without opening stupid-large numbers of boosters?
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 06:07:20 pm »

I've tried to get into this game two or three times now but I just... I can't... The tutorial sucks, but the MINIMUM 75 card deck is just excessive and, honestly, kinda intimidating. How can, even remotely, be expected to be able to fully build out a 75 card deck without opening stupid-large numbers of boosters?

The game is absurdly generous. You get a free pack every day for winning one match. You get rewards for every win. You get daily quests. Every reward you get has a chance to upgrade to a better reward randomly. Right now there is a special going on where if you connect your account to your Twitch account that has Amazon Prime, you get a free 33 packs, one of which has a guaranteed legendary. You get free decks to start out with, and free unique promo cards every month. There's a Sealed League every month that gives you 18 packs minimum for 12,500 gold (gold is the free currency you get just for playing the game) which is honestly a great deal. And as I said, if you need to fill out a playset, you can always craft the cards you need.

The game is just the most Free2Play friendly game on the market, it doesn't leave you wanting. The 75 card deck size is not a problem at all, if anything, trimming your deck to fit inside the 75 limit is tougher.

I will concede that the tutorial is very overbearing, there should be a way to skip it, but if you can power through it and get to the main game, you won't regret it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:16:07 pm by JoshuaFH »