Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Search for the Gizmo of Ultimate Goodness  (Read 15773 times)

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
Re: Search for the Gizmo of Ultimate Goodness
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 10:42:34 pm »

PTW, may make a character later
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 10:54:48 pm »

I understand that the healing is equivalent to bandages. :p

Maybe even in non-divine mode, Saraket gets a -1 to stealth due to the feeling of the divine permeating the space he's in.

What are the second aspects for my spells and enhancement?
That's a workable, if very minor downside, so your ability won't be that powerful.

Here are your second aspect: SPELL (Fire & Reducing) SPELL (Sacred & Worry) ENRICHMENT (Fire & Low Quality)

PTW, may make a character later
Okay!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 11:01:20 pm »

I understand that the healing is equivalent to bandages. :p

Maybe even in non-divine mode, Saraket gets a -1 to stealth due to the feeling of the divine permeating the space he's in.

What are the second aspects for my spells and enhancement?
That's a workable, if very minor downside, so your ability won't be that powerful.

Here are your second aspect: SPELL (Fire & Reducing) SPELL (Sacred & Worry) ENRICHMENT (Fire & Low Quality)
:|

Hmn...

Spell 1 idea: A beam of fire, "reducing" to a point at about 5 meters away; the heat at each part of the beam is proportional to how densely it's been packed, with the point being nearly as hot as the sun itself.

Spell 2 idea: The target, faced with evidence of the divine, worries they have been insufficiently religious, and turns their prayer and worship to the most immediately available divine figure: Saraket.

Gun enrichment: The superheated bullets burn through enemies' equipment, leaving them as low-quality husks of their former selves, riddled with holes and areas weakened by heat.

EDIT: How about -3 to stealth? Or is it just perma-failure at that point?
I'm ok with perma-failure on stealth.
EDIT2: Ok, so it's d20. Missed that part.
-7 or so? -10? What's the insta-fail point for stealth penalties?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 11:06:03 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 11:15:33 pm »

:|

Hmn...

Spell 1 idea: A beam of fire, "reducing" to a point at about 5 meters away; the heat at each part of the beam is proportional to how densely it's been packed, with the point being nearly as hot as the sun itself.

Spell 2 idea: The target, faced with evidence of the divine, worries they have been insufficiently religious, and turns their prayer and worship to the most immediately available divine figure: Saraket.

Gun enrichment: The superheated bullets burn through enemies' equipment, leaving them as low-quality husks of their former selves, riddled with holes and areas weakened by heat.

EDIT: How about -3 to stealth? Or is it just perma-failure at that point?
I'm ok with perma-failure on stealth.
I like your spell and enrichment ideas. I'll definitely take them into account.

Perma-failure for stealth sounds great. I was thinking that it would be the perfect extent for a disadvantage.

Everyone: I changed a little bit of something in the rules. Instead of dodging getting a -5 penalty if you attack/cast a spell, it now gets a +5 if you take a defensive stance instead of attacking/casting a spell. Then, to even it out, attacks gets a +5 "Coordination bonus". That bonus is lost if you dual attack (instead of dual attacking giving you a -5 penalty) or if you use an improvised weapon. As you can see, this is mainly a semantics change, but it has small mechanical effects, although they're pretty insignificant. If you can find them, I'll give you a bonus point in Underwater Basket Weaving.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 11:24:46 pm »

I'm interested in this, PM me or what ever.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 06:42:31 am »

I'll drop out so one of the waitlisters can get in. I am having a serious case of character creation block. Sorry.  As fun as this looks, just put me on the back end of the waitlist.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 09:14:01 am »

Here are your second aspects: SPELL (Paralysis & Fantasy) SPELL (Tentacle & Splitting) ENRICHMENT (Tentacle & Air)
You don't have to make these yourself, though. I've got my own thoughts on what they could be. However, feel free to give your own interpretation.

Also, find a way to work "Consumable" into your character.

One more thing... how is your octopus shaped? Is it like like "octodad" style, where we'll just have it work like a normal humanoid, or are you going to be crawling along the ground in your full cephalopod glory? In the latter case, I think you should take an ability that restricts what you wear (no shoes, pants, shirt or gloves) but gives you some kind of upside (like being able to wield 8 things at once - with standard dual attack rules, of course). I dunno. Also, if your octopus isn't man-shaped, how big is it?

Spell 1 (Paralysis & Fantasy): No idea what fantasy could be for.  Please make this one.
Spell 2 (Tentacle & Splitting): Temporally transforms the user's tentacles into sharp and light metallic blades. Bladed tentacles count as light weapons and use magic skill for combat, but also makes the caster unable to hold anything or wield weapons during the transformation. Or something like that.
Enrichment (Tentacle & Air): Extra phantom tentacles made of air that attack enemies at random and can hold things? No idea either.

I'll have to think about the Consumable thing. Maybe Exul looks really tasty and attracts hungry monsters to his location.

Shaped like an octopus and crawls like one,  but "orc-sized" (Because he's larger than a normal octopus). Equipment restriction sounds good, maybe even forced to use only light stuff because of lack of bones and attracting monsters, in exchange of being able to equip things on his 8 tentacles and a bonus to dual attacks (Instead of a pair weapons, be able to use up to 4?). He lacks any combat skill, so this should make up for the lack of offensive power.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2018, 09:42:23 am »

Ok... Honestly I'm not feeling too inspired by the aspects I got. It'd be nice if you could roll some new ones, but otherwise I'll probably just let someone else take my spot.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 10:00:10 am »

Will join the waitlist
I didn't see you there. PM incoming.

EDIT2: Ok, so it's d20. Missed that part.
-7 or so? -10? What's the insta-fail point for stealth penalties?
Ummm... it depends on the situation. Usually the target number for actions won't be lower than 10, though.

I'm interested in this, PM me or what ever.
Will do.

I'll drop out so one of the waitlisters can get in. I am having a serious case of character creation block. Sorry.  As fun as this looks, just put me on the back end of the waitlist.
Alright. I hope you manage to get into the game, later!
FAKEDIT: See below

Spell 1 (Paralysis & Fantasy): No idea what fantasy could be for.  Please make this one.
Spell 2 (Tentacle & Splitting): Temporally transforms the user's tentacles into sharp and light metallic blades. Bladed tentacles count as light weapons and use magic skill for combat, but also makes the caster unable to hold anything or wield weapons during the transformation. Or something like that.
Enrichment (Tentacle & Air): Extra phantom tentacles made of air that attack enemies at random and can hold things? No idea either.

I'll have to think about the Consumable thing. Maybe Exul looks really tasty and attracts hungry monsters to his location.

Shaped like an octopus and crawls like one,  but "orc-sized" (Because he's larger than a normal octopus). Equipment restriction sounds good, maybe even forced to use only light stuff because of lack of bones and attracting monsters, in exchange of being able to equip things on his 8 tentacles and a bonus to dual attacks (Instead of a pair weapons, be able to use up to 4?). He lacks any combat skill, so this should make up for the lack of offensive power.
Your spells/enrichment look pretty tough. I'll come up with something.

You don't really have to make Consumable be part of a power, if you don't want to. You could just say in your backstory that he was going to be turned into sushi, but escaped. In order to save his brethren, he decided to go and find the Gizmo.

Okay, I think this would be a balanced form of your ability, and one that has some internal synergy, too:
 -Can wield up to 8 things, excluding Medicine/Lockpicking tools (since those are automatically wielded).
 -Can attack 4 times when "dual attacking".
 -Can't wear armor/clothes, including gloves & shoes, but excluding most headgear.
 -Can't carry things that aren't equipped or wielded.

Ok... Honestly I'm not feeling too inspired by the aspects I got. It'd be nice if you could roll some new ones, but otherwise I'll probably just let someone else take my spot.
If you want some new ones, then sure. New aspects coming up.

Ozarck: Do you want some new ones, instead?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:18:20 am by Pavellius »

Secheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 11:25:22 am »

Waitlist.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2018, 12:02:08 pm »

I don't think it's possible for me to work with either set you gave me. Can I get a reroll?
it's over

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2018, 01:25:04 pm »

Consumable Tentacle Paralysis

Name: Exul Bracchium

Appearance: Exul is a large and intelligent octopus. His skin is most of the time orange and his eyes are yellow.

Description: He's a smart and large octopus sorcerer that came from another world made of oceans. He used to be part of the royalty, but after his evil brother devoured the rest of the members of the bloodline and seized the kingdom he was forced to escape the underwater world as a fugitive.
-Can wield up to 8 things, excluding Medicine/Lockpicking tools (since those are automatically wielded).
 -Can attack 4 times when "dual attacking".
 -Can't wear armor/clothes, including gloves & shoes, but excluding most headgear.
 -Can't carry things that aren't equipped or wielded.

Backstory: Exul was the youngest and weakest of six brothers, all descendants of an old but wise octopus known as the Octopus King, leader of the underwater Enteroctopus kingdom. While they all looked like normal and healthy children, there was something wrong with the fifth brother. He had tasted the flesh of his own kind and soon became addicted to octopus meat. The cannibal, envious of his brothers, devoured them alive to become the next heir of the kingdom. But when the old king tried to stop him, the fifth brother also devoured him and seized the throne. Because Exul was the sixth brother, the new king decided to let him live until the day he devoured his father. After the event, he decided that he should not leave any loose ends and demanded his head on a silver plate. Exul then escaped from the kingdom, seeking refuge in the neighbour lands that belonged to the Architeuthis kingdom. There, he learned magic to compensate for his lack of physical strength just like his brother was huge and not very smart. Despite that there was peace between both underwater kingdoms, the new Octopus King was a brute and decided to wage war against the Architeuthis to reach his brother and consume him. The Architeuthis kingdom crumbled and they were almost exterminated by the octopus armies, but the Architeuthis magicians managed to create a portal to this world for Exul to escape. Now, Exul seeks the Gizmo to use it's power to return to his world, slay his insane brother, free the kingdom from his rule, and avenge his lost family.

Skills:
-Magic: 5
-Evade: 1
-Stealth: 1
-Athletics: 1
-Will: 1
-Underwater Basket-Weaving: 1

Spells:
-Spell 1 (Paralysis & Fantasy): No idea what fantasy could be for.  Please make this one.
-Spell 2 (Tentacle & Splitting): Temporally transforms the user's tentacles into sharp and light metallic blades. Bladed tentacles count as light weapons and use magic skill for combat, but also makes the caster unable to hold anything or wield weapons during the transformation. Or something like that.

Equipment:
-A Lack of Self Preservation (Enrichment (Tentacle & Air): Extra phantom tentacles made of air that attack enemies at random and can hold things? No idea either.)
-Dagger
-Blaster Pistol
-Dagger
-Bandages
-Electric Headlamp
-Cape with Custom Design (Navy blue with a wave pattern.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 07:33:34 am by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2018, 02:02:47 pm »

Spoiler: Earth Drunken Criminal (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 02:37:02 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2018, 02:12:42 pm »

...Abe, getting two spells costs you 8 skill points. You can have melee 5, magic 5, and two spells, but not all the other stats.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2018, 04:42:58 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11