Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Search for the Gizmo of Ultimate Goodness  (Read 15959 times)

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
Re: Search for the Gizmo of Ultimate Goodness
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2018, 08:14:55 pm »

I like how I suggested a weapon in my first post in this thread for op if he ever got writers block when looking for weapons and it ended up giving almost everyone what are essentially galil assault rifles with advanced combine technology scopes that was just because I wanted to make a weapon model in Garry's Mod.
it's over

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2018, 10:49:01 pm »

Waitlist.
Waitlist.

I don't think it's possible for me to work with either set you gave me. Can I get a reroll?

I wan't quite sure what to make of "Brooding Surreal Vegetable" either...
The new aspects are on their way!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No complaints here. The backstory works in your Consumable aspect, so you're done for now.

Spoiler: Earth Drunken Criminal (click to show/hide)
Nice character. This is bay 12, I should have expected at least one dwarf to make its way into the party.

Anyway, here are your second aspects, in case you have suggestions: SPELL (Earth & Box) SPELL (Drunken & Desert) ENRICH (Criminal & Sun)

Nice character. SPELL (Worship & Owl) ENRICH (Shell & Parents)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2018, 11:06:52 pm »

SPELL (Earth & Box)
Something involving burying things alive or entrapment them in Large Stone Boxes perhaps?
SPELL (Drunken & Desert)
...Nothing comes to mind, I don't envy your thinking something up for this one.
ENRICH (Criminal & Sun)
Something relating to Prometheus, the guy who STOLE fire from the SUN?
Or perhaps its A bonus to all things Criminal while in the Light of day?
Infinite light Stolen from everyone else?

Quote from: That thing no one could think of anything for
Brooding Surreal Vegetable
Cartoonish Emo Mini-Ent.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 11:09:13 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2018, 11:10:26 pm »

Waitlist I guess. Is Cat in the aspects list?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2018, 07:01:22 am »

Magical Mania Siren

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 07:34:13 am »

I made a few small corrections to my sheet. Removed boots because of a lack of legs to use them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 08:36:03 am by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 08:18:06 am »

Pavellius: Thanks for the offer for new aspects, but that's okay. I should be able to create an interesting character out of most any set of three aspects. I'm just a little disjointed at teh moment, and you have lots of interest in the game, so I don't mind stepping back for now. I'll PM you if I get a new wind and would like to be re-added, or you can pm me when my waitlist turn comes up :D

thanks!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2018, 10:00:20 am »

Everyone: I changed a little bit of something in the rules. Instead of dodging getting a -5 penalty if you attack/cast a spell, it now gets a +5 if you take a defensive stance instead of attacking/casting a spell. Then, to even it out, attacks gets a +5 "Coordination bonus". That bonus is lost if you dual attack (instead of dual attacking giving you a -5 penalty) or if you use an improvised weapon. As you can see, this is mainly a semantics change, but it has small mechanical effects, although they're pretty insignificant. If you can find them, I'll give you a bonus point in Underwater Basket Weaving.
Ok, so:
Essentially, it just means that an enemy that could be hit with a roll of 10 in the original rules needs to have their defence bumped up to get hit on a 15, and for dodging attacks, something that would have been dodged on a roll of 10 would now be dodged on a roll of 5 (assuming that players are doing as expected, that is, attacking with a single weapon).

Personally, I would suggest having where the bonuses and maluses go be based on what the players are expected to do "normally": most players will be attacking or casting every turn, so having the defensive stance be a bonus makes sense, but most players won't be dual-attacking (with exception of our octobro) or using improvised weapons, so it would make more sense to leave those ones as penalties off of the baseline "attacking with one weapon". I think it'll be easier to calculate and remember everything that way.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 11:50:26 am »

Nice character. SPELL (Worship & Owl) ENRICH (Shell & Parents)

Spell idea: The affected person immediately abandons whatever they're doing and starts praying to some miscellaneous owl god.
Enrich idea: The leather is made from human skin and there are human bones in the shape of seashells as pauldrons. Upon seeing it, must fail a knowledge check in order to avoid SAN damage.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2018, 06:42:50 pm »

Alright, I still can't think of something to make from my sets.
it's over

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2018, 11:43:08 pm »

I'll try to work on this over the weekend, and finish the spells/enrichments by Monday.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2018, 09:48:25 am »

Did I get a UBW point?

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2018, 07:18:56 pm »

I finally finished the 4 main characters. I'm in such a good mood.

SPELL (Earth & Box)
Something involving burying things alive or entrapment them in Large Stone Boxes perhaps?
SPELL (Drunken & Desert)
...Nothing comes to mind, I don't envy your thinking something up for this one.
ENRICH (Criminal & Sun)
Something relating to Prometheus, the guy who STOLE fire from the SUN?
Or perhaps its A bonus to all things Criminal while in the Light of day?
Infinite light Stolen from everyone else?

Quote from: That thing no one could think of anything for
Brooding Surreal Vegetable
Cartoonish Emo Mini-Ent.
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have a nice spell idea for Drunken & Desert  :)

Nice Ent character you got there...

Waitlist I guess. Is Cat in the aspects list?
Okay. "Cat" isn't on the list, but "Feline" is.

Magical Mania Siren

Nice. I compiled the completed sheets below. I uhh... made your spell before reading your backstory, so it doesn't exactly fit. If you don't like it, I'll change it. If you think it's cool, then we'll keep it.

Pavellius: Thanks for the offer for new aspects, but that's okay. I should be able to create an interesting character out of most any set of three aspects. I'm just a little disjointed at teh moment, and you have lots of interest in the game, so I don't mind stepping back for now. I'll PM you if I get a new wind and would like to be re-added, or you can pm me when my waitlist turn comes up :D

thanks!
Alright. Thanks for telling me.

Ok, so:
Essentially, it just means that an enemy that could be hit with a roll of 10 in the original rules needs to have their defence bumped up to get hit on a 15, and for dodging attacks, something that would have been dodged on a roll of 10 would now be dodged on a roll of 5 (assuming that players are doing as expected, that is, attacking with a single weapon).

Personally, I would suggest having where the bonuses and maluses go be based on what the players are expected to do "normally": most players will be attacking or casting every turn, so having the defensive stance be a bonus makes sense, but most players won't be dual-attacking (with exception of our octobro) or using improvised weapons, so it would make more sense to leave those ones as penalties off of the baseline "attacking with one weapon". I think it'll be easier to calculate and remember everything that way.
Hmm... Good effort, but I'm not going to count that as point worthy, since an enemy wouldn't need its defense to be bumped up by 5, since a -5 malus when acting has been replaced with a +5 bonus when going defense mode. There's specific circumstances where things won't work out the same as in the previous system, and that was what I was referring to.

I think your suggestion is interesting, but I find my version to be easier for me.

Spell idea: The affected person immediately abandons whatever they're doing and starts praying to some miscellaneous owl god.
Enrich idea: The leather is made from human skin and there are human bones in the shape of seashells as pauldrons. Upon seeing it, must fail a knowledge check in order to avoid SAN damage.
Thanks for the suggestion. My ideas were a bit different, so I want to know if you like them.

The Sheets

By the way, I've renamed the "Spells" section to "Spells and Artefacts", so I can include enriched items there, too. Yes, it's spelled "Artefacts", with an 'e'.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:48:43 am by Pavellius »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2018, 09:07:21 pm »

...an enemy wouldn't need its defense to be bumped up by 5, since a -5 malus when acting has been replaced with a +5 bonus when going defense mode.
On the contrary, regarding the defence buff from defence mode, in order for them to get that defence buff to bring them to what would have been equivalent defence against attacks, they would have to refrain from attacking. As a result, unless you increased their defence by 5, they would never be able to attack if they wanted to have the same effective defence as under the original rules.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2018, 12:50:36 am »

...an enemy wouldn't need its defense to be bumped up by 5, since a -5 malus when acting has been replaced with a +5 bonus when going defense mode.
On the contrary, regarding the defence buff from defence mode, in order for them to get that defence buff to bring them to what would have been equivalent defence against attacks, they would have to refrain from attacking. As a result, unless you increased their defence by 5, they would never be able to attack if they wanted to have the same effective defence as under the original rules.
I'm too tired to think abut this right now. Will reply tomorrow.

Everyone: I think I'll be able to start the game tomorrow. Maybe not, depending on how long it takes for me to MS Paint it. Probably tomorrow, though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11