Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

Author Topic: Government Types  (Read 28645 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Government Types
« Reply #270 on: September 27, 2018, 07:55:44 am »

Jesus fucking Christ. Anyone know how to unsub from threads so they stop popping up in the unread list? I'd rather this stop popping up in my list if its just gonna be consistent thread-derailing bickering yet again.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #271 on: September 27, 2018, 09:00:56 am »

Profile > Notification and the option should be there (if you asked for a notification that is, else a thread will be unread until you read it I fear). But ey, there is an ignore list I just noticed. This will prove extremely useful for keeping threads from getting sidetracked while preventing heads from exploding.

Also sorry for partaking into the constant derailing. As far as I'm concerned I'll stop here
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 09:39:49 am by Cathar »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #272 on: September 27, 2018, 09:45:19 am »

Ah, damn, since it was just the "auto-notify upon replying to thread" thing going on here and I didn't mark this thread I can't seem to disable notifications for it - oh well, thanks anyway, should prove handy in the future!

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 30, 2018, 05:47:01 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIuNMM4Atmk

I have no idea why you're asking me for evidences since we all witnessed before you can't be arsed to check them once provided. But if you discovered yourself some sudden interest for learning stuff, here you go. It's an excellent series who clears a lot of confusion about medieval society.

The rest is not worth responding to.

And once again you throw down the book and leave.  That was interesting while it lasted.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 05:48:50 am by GoblinCookie »

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 02, 2018, 07:06:18 pm »

I'm curious how Dwarf Fortress could be made to simulate a Technocratic government in Fortress mode...
A Technocratic system is one where the best suited or most knowledgeable on the subject are given the position to make decisions about that area; i.e. the best farmer would be making decisions about agriculture, the best military leader would handle militaristic affairs, and so on...

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 04, 2018, 06:38:08 am »

I'm curious how Dwarf Fortress could be made to simulate a Technocratic government in Fortress mode...
A Technocratic system is one where the best suited or most knowledgeable on the subject are given the position to make decisions about that area; i.e. the best farmer would be making decisions about agriculture, the best military leader would handle militaristic affairs, and so on...

We actually already have a technocratic government if we don't have any hereditary monarchs or nobles. 

The game already selects the most skilled candidate for the job.  The person with the best social skills becomes Mayor because this role involves [MEET_WORKERS] responsibility.  Once I added in an elected medical position into my mod and behold, they elected the best doctor I had on embark to be medic. 

crazy4bricks

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 26, 2023, 10:45:45 pm »

Well, considering the almost unlimited variations on governments that can exist, why not break it down into its components? From what I see, the fundamental piece of a government is an Official, which I am using as a blanket term that can be modified with relevant tags. Officials can have tags relating to how someone can become one (election, inheritance, delegation by a superior), qualifications (skills, relative power, nepotism, social class, prestige), responsibilities (external diplomacy, military command, finances management, providing military aid to superior, providing taxes to superior, law making/enforcement, voting). There could also be values such as rank or authority, a list of subordinate positions, and such.

This system can feasibly be used for all sorts of government structures, from monarchies, to democracies, to republics, and every other government in between and beyond, as long as they include an Official in its structure. Heck, this might even be expanded into any organization, including religious groups, guilds, and the like. This might actually not be as complex it might be in an official release, knowing the nature of DF.
Just a thought. I have been thinking about it for a while now and I wanted to share this idea.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 26, 2023, 10:54:13 pm »

Oh, a necromancer!

Officials can have tags relating to how someone can become one (election, inheritance, delegation by a superior), qualifications (skills, relative power, nepotism, social class, prestige), responsibilities (external diplomacy, military command, finances management, providing military aid to superior, providing taxes to superior, law making/enforcement, voting). There could also be values such as rank or authority, a list of subordinate positions, and such.

Much of this already exists in DF.

See: Entity position tokens

crazy4bricks

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 26, 2023, 11:01:02 pm »

Much of this already exists in DF.

See: Entity position tokens
Wow! You learn something new every day with this game. Glad to know I am not the first to think of this.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]