Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19

Author Topic: Government Types  (Read 28751 times)

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Government Types
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2018, 06:06:16 am »

Thanks GoblinCookie. I think I finally understand where you are coming from in your opposition to any implementation of class systems in game. I think most people are more mature than that, but there are of course exceptions.

I have a somewhat different perspective. I feel modern media tends to (inadvertently) downplay past discriminatory behaviour by making protagonists have unusually modern values. It bothers me as it tends to portray this myth of racism etc being some unusual aberration, when in fact those sorts of things were quite ubiquitous. Ironically, I feel censoring those ideas makes overcoming these issues more difficult as people are never confronted with them.

For DF:

Without some framework for social hierarchy (beyond the limited roles of nobles now) the game will be quite limited in how societies are structured. I'd personally prefer governance and social structures to be as intricate as the geology. The concept of class can be interpreted quite broadly: You could have a "class" system based on seniority, for instance. It could be discriminatory in the sense that elders have more privileges than young dwarves, but everyone gets a chance to be an elder eventually. So, rule by a council of elders as a form of government.

What we would need is a "privilege" framework which defines certain prerequisites for a dwarf to gain certain rights (voting, eligibility for military service, noble title, right to make mandates, eight to own land and collect rents, etc). From there you could build up whatever system of government you like by defining whatever privilege structure you need. So, for a dictatorship you have a leader with the right to do anything, generals who can do almost anything but are obliged to demonstrate loyalty to the leader, and everyone else who must obey the laws but can otherwise do what they want. In a democracy, some citizens will be eligible to vote. Immigrants may only vote after being naturalized. Children cannot vote. All citizens are eligible to serve in parliament.

Please no arguments about semantics.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2018, 06:17:35 am »

The only difference between a Monarchy and a Dictatorship is as follows; the Line of Succession, the Title, and title of those legitimizing your power.
Other than that it is depending on your own acts if you are a benevolent or malevolent leader.
A dictator is pretty much a president for life with a bit more power.
In a Dictatorship you are either a military leader or the leader of a military coup, and those legitimizing your power are other military leaders.
In a Monarchy you are a noble that either inherited the thron from a parent or you and other nobles overthrew the previous monarch, and it is the nobles that legitimizes your power.
The citizens of either system has very little influence on the ruling of the nation other than reporting the progress of projects and the quality/quantity of taxable goods.
Hmm. Maybe we have different definitions. Also, Stalin has been described as a dictator, despite being the second Soviet leader (after Lenin) after the revolution, and therefore not coming to power via a military coup.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2018, 07:46:13 am »

Your idea seems pretty nice. Of course the levels of privileges should be broad and well defined.
With your picture i can envision a theocracy backed by military (god of war and swords). The generals are equal to low priests and may vote on bishops and the grand bishop/pope who is the de facto leader. A theocratic monarchy of a god of birth religion might install a king who's son will become the next by birthright.

To add to your suggestion: Maybe there could be certain jobs available to certain classes. A dwarf civ might consider smithing to be sacred and therefore only members of the chucrch are allowed to smith. Or the same civ might consider fishing as a low job so only immigrants and criminals may fish and this could create bad thoughts in them because the job is considered low.

I would also like to see symbolism within the government types. A new king HAS TO be crowned on Shimmerrock the Fall of Kings an artifact throne, and if the throne is stolen it creates a huge crisis because the country cant crown legitimately anymore.

Lastly, I would like privileged classes to partake in events that could shape the course of the civ as described earlier by me. In that theocracy of war, generals could come up with different plans of action and then wrestle over which course to take while in a democracy the same military issue might be voted on. It is fun when the leader of the religion of the god of games is decided by playing a sacred game... ( Urist McGamey has become Pope, as he won the sacred game of monopoly)

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2018, 08:53:22 am »

The only difference between a Monarchy and a Dictatorship is as follows; the Line of Succession, the Title, and title of those legitimizing your power.
Other than that it is depending on your own acts if you are a benevolent or malevolent leader.
A dictator is pretty much a president for life with a bit more power.
In a Dictatorship you are either a military leader or the leader of a military coup, and those legitimizing your power are other military leaders.
In a Monarchy you are a noble that either inherited the thron from a parent or you and other nobles overthrew the previous monarch, and it is the nobles that legitimizes your power.
The citizens of either system has very little influence on the ruling of the nation other than reporting the progress of projects and the quality/quantity of taxable goods.
Hmm. Maybe we have different definitions. Also, Stalin has been described as a dictator, despite being the second Soviet leader (after Lenin) after the revolution, and therefore not coming to power via a military coup.
Just because there's a military coup it does not necessarily mean it is a bloody coup.
The ones being overthrown might simply throw down their arms or they could even join the insurrection.
A military coup might also consist of the military imprisoning the party leaders, as was the case in Soviet.

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2018, 10:21:03 am »

A Republic is a type of governance where a collection of representatives(usually elected) form the government body, and either they elect a primary representative to lead the entire Republic, or they rule together cooperatively.
The representatives are either elected among themselves in the local governance group, or they are elected by all their constituents.
The constituency is either members of a group such as which economic bracket they belong to, or the inhabitants of a geographic region within the larger nation.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2018, 12:06:58 pm »

So I skimmed the thread, and felt I should say I'm actually proud of everyone involved, because this has been way less of a shitshow than I was expecting.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2018, 12:26:21 pm »

A Republic is a type of governance where a collection of representatives(usually elected) form the government body, and either they elect a primary representative to lead the entire Republic, or they rule together cooperatively.
The representatives are either elected among themselves in the local governance group, or they are elected by all their constituents.
The constituency is either members of a group such as which economic bracket they belong to, or the inhabitants of a geographic region within the larger nation.
This is quite helpful. The game should give some civs constituency based on nobility while some covs should allow all people to partake in votes. Maybe to keep it simple the votes decide on the people who actually make decisions be it one or more people who need to hold discussions before deciding.

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2018, 02:14:45 pm »

An actual true Democracy(a.k.a. Direct Democracy) is more along the lines of the Netherlands - or maybe even more extreme - meaning that the governing body handles the day-to-day business of running a nation, but the more important decisions are voted on by the voting body in regular referendums.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2018, 09:20:39 pm »

So I skimmed the thread, and felt I should say I'm actually proud of everyone involved, because this has been way less of a shitshow than I was expecting.
Mostly because GC has learned to back out when an argument is clearly lost instead of trying to save it.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2018, 06:35:30 am »

Recent studies have shown that violent video games don't make people violent (unless they're really mentally immature, but if you're playing DF you're probably mentally mature), so your argument is flawed, GoblinCookie.

You're wrong but we weren't talking about that.

Thanks GoblinCookie. I think I finally understand where you are coming from in your opposition to any implementation of class systems in game. I think most people are more mature than that, but there are of course exceptions.

I have a somewhat different perspective. I feel modern media tends to (inadvertently) downplay past discriminatory behaviour by making protagonists have unusually modern values. It bothers me as it tends to portray this myth of racism etc being some unusual aberration, when in fact those sorts of things were quite ubiquitous. Ironically, I feel censoring those ideas makes overcoming these issues more difficult as people are never confronted with them.

Racism is either nonexistent or very weak in the medieval times.  Someone failing to depict racism in the medieval era then is pretty much historically accurate.  Other things however that are unacceptable in modern times, sexism, homophobia and general religious bigotry are very much rife.  The rise of racism is actually an interesting inversion of the normal story of societal progress towards the better.

The key problem with what you are saying however is that history is not some set of historical eras magically transforming into the next era.  The next era has to fight against the present era in order to be born, but the present era has the majority of people on it's side, which is why historical progress takes centuries and millennia rather than happening in a single human lifetime.  A story is also not something static, a story has a protagonist who fights against powerful enemies ultimately to bring about a desired outcome. Historical development is generally like that, a line of hero-protagonists overcoming the evil of their society, though in the case of racism it is a villain-protagonist making their society more evil. 

It makes sense for the author to choose as a hero-protagonists in a medieval story someone who has a closer resemblance to the modern ideals than the average person of that era.  The danger however is that in order to be realistic we cannot expect a person to hold such values in their entirety, but there is a considerable moral danger in this not being so.  The reason for his is that the audience empathises with the hero-protagonist, that is fine if the hero protagonist is as good as or better than the audience but what happens when the hero-protagonist is only good because the villain-antagonist is worse than him?

That is one reason why historical fiction generally makes me uneasy.  You don't want to identify, empathise with and hence think like people who are quite realistically worse than you are simply because they are more like you than villain-antagonists.  That results in a kind of reactionary hybridisation, by which we in the modern world instead of moving forward end up resurrecting elements of the past which we left behind for a good reason. 

For DF:

Without some framework for social hierarchy (beyond the limited roles of nobles now) the game will be quite limited in how societies are structured. I'd personally prefer governance and social structures to be as intricate as the geology. The concept of class can be interpreted quite broadly: You could have a "class" system based on seniority, for instance. It could be discriminatory in the sense that elders have more privileges than young dwarves, but everyone gets a chance to be an elder eventually. So, rule by a council of elders as a form of government.

What we would need is a "privilege" framework which defines certain prerequisites for a dwarf to gain certain rights (voting, eligibility for military service, noble title, right to make mandates, eight to own land and collect rents, etc). From there you could build up whatever system of government you like by defining whatever privilege structure you need. So, for a dictatorship you have a leader with the right to do anything, generals who can do almost anything but are obliged to demonstrate loyalty to the leader, and everyone else who must obey the laws but can otherwise do what they want. In a democracy, some citizens will be eligible to vote. Immigrants may only vote after being naturalized. Children cannot vote. All citizens are eligible to serve in parliament.

Please no arguments about semantics.

A more limited number of social structures does mean less work for Toady One.   :)

As I have explained already to the OP, class divisions are not divisions in political decision-making within a class, those are more akin to the division between carpenter and fisher-dwarf than class divisions which are more akin to the difference between master and slave.  The latter kind of divisions I am uneasy about because you will never be playing the slave but instead one of the masters, since only the masters have stories that we would actually wish to play. 

One idea that contributes to your suggestion is the idea that in election campaigns, some individuals have more personal clout than others, which allows them to influence other voters and decide the election for the candidate they support. 

That is basically similar to what we would have in kings and nobles were elected.  I could see that happening if the central government got strong enough that it's undemocratic nature offended against the traditional democracy of the sites which were previously mostly autonomous. 

Mostly because GC has learned to back out when an argument is clearly lost instead of trying to save it.

I just have a policy of only posting every few days in order to give other people the time to comment so the thread does not become dominated by me and some other person.  Backing out of arguments is still not my style.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2018, 06:56:14 am »

Recent studies have shown that violent video games don't make people violent (unless they're really mentally immature, but if you're playing DF you're probably mentally mature), so your argument is flawed, GoblinCookie.

You're wrong but we weren't talking about that.
What source are you using?

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2018, 07:24:24 am »

I understand your reasoning against racost depiction in the game , though I think many people would actually play the slave. I would lve to play the dwarf fortress version of spartacus killing his master and leading a revolution against the slaver empire. Without adding this kind of discrimination we won't see such a story where the oppressed overcomes the oppressor.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2018, 07:27:12 am »

I understand your reasoning against racost depiction in the game , though I think many people would actually play the slave. I would lve to play the dwarf fortress version of spartacus killing his master and leading a revolution against the slaver empire. Without adding this kind of discrimination we won't see such a story where the oppressed overcomes the oppressor.
This. DF is a plot generator. If it makes for a good plot, it should go in.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2018, 07:40:17 am »

Thats how I feel but the points raised by gc are understandable, and one has to wonder what kind of atrocities actually need to enter a game to be fun. I for one wouldn't mind if things like torture wouldn't make it in the game, though it would be enough for me if it only wasn't available to the player.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2018, 07:42:09 am »

Thats how I feel but the points raised by gc are understandable, and one has to wonder what kind of atrocities actually need to enter a game to be fun. I for one wouldn't mind if things like torture wouldn't make it in the game, though it would be enough for me if it only wasn't available to the player.
They're letters on a screen. If erasing letters is a bad thing, then the backspace key is a crime against humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19