Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19

Author Topic: Government Types  (Read 28745 times)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Government Types
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2018, 10:28:15 am »

Of we add republics, no matter what specific type, I would like to be able to vote on important issues as if were going to war, if we want to create a new settlement for the civ, who becomes a leader, where to settle, etc. Before the actual voting happened there would be a discussion phase where each voting member could try to persuade others to join their side. So maybe the civ discusses the possible change of law to forbid slavery and I as a player could potentially sway the humans to do just that. Nobles in noble republics would have to travel to the capital to vote and on the way fun stuff happens. Maybe there is a violent group that wants to assassinate a certain individual who votes against said group.

In a absolutist monarchy there wouldn't be any votes, but in a feudal monarchy the dukes would get to vote on some manners...

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 10:35:02 am »

The player is pretty much a representation of the current fort's ruler (or the collective will of the dwarves).
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

PlatinumSun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2018, 10:47:05 am »

The player is pretty much a representation of the current fort's ruler (or the collective will of the dwarves).

I hope what ever Toady does theres always a toggle for the player to not have to deal with elections and dwarves uprising. Im fine if all other civs have all that but I dont want to be forced to deal with it. So as long as it can be toggled I dont mind.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:03:57 am by PlatinumSun »
It will probably take you 10 seconds to read this digital text on your monitor. And then ponder its metaphorical meaning.

Slaves To Kek God Of Creation
Chapter II: Meme Magic

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2018, 11:01:24 am »

I hope what ever toady does theres always a toggle for the player to not have to deal with elections and dwarves uprising. Im fine if all other civs have all that but I dont want to be forced to deal with it. So as long as it can be toggled I dont mind.
I'm not sure that it could be toggled. Go ask in FOTF.

PlatinumSun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2018, 11:02:41 am »

Also, the plan is (I think) to NOT have the overseer as an omnipotent god. Toady has the final say  everywhere. If a suggestion goes against the plan, it won't be implemented. And yes, he reads all suggestion threads that aren't obvious trolls (like your battle royale thing).

Well I should have been more specific. Toady reading the thread who cares. I want him to comment on it.
It will probably take you 10 seconds to read this digital text on your monitor. And then ponder its metaphorical meaning.

PlatinumSun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2018, 11:03:23 am »

I hope what ever toady does theres always a toggle for the player to not have to deal with elections and dwarves uprising. Im fine if all other civs have all that but I dont want to be forced to deal with it. So as long as it can be toggled I dont mind.
I'm not sure that it could be toggled. Go ask in FOTF.

You might be correct.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2018, 11:04:37 am »

Also, the plan is (I think) to NOT have the overseer as an omnipotent god. Toady has the final say  everywhere. If a suggestion goes against the plan, it won't be implemented. And yes, he reads all suggestion threads that aren't obvious trolls (like your battle royale thing).

Well I should have been more specific. Toady reading the thread who cares. I want him to comment on it.
Toady never comments on suggestion threads. Just silently takes notes. That's it.

PlatinumSun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2018, 11:10:03 am »

Toady never comments on suggestion threads. Just silently takes notes. That's it.

Thats a little disappointing to be honest.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:14:18 am by PlatinumSun »

PlatinumSun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2018, 11:13:33 am »

Of we add republics, no matter what specific type, I would like to be able to vote on important issues as if were going to war, if we want to create a new settlement for the civ, who becomes a leader, where to settle, etc. Before the actual voting happened there would be a discussion phase where each voting member could try to persuade others to join their side. So maybe the civ discusses the possible change of law to forbid slavery and I as a player could potentially sway the humans to do just that. Nobles in noble republics would have to travel to the capital to vote and on the way fun stuff happens. Maybe there is a violent group that wants to assassinate a certain individual who votes against said group.

In a absolutist monarchy there wouldn't be any votes, but in a feudal monarchy the dukes would get to vote on some manners...

No thats not how rebublics work. Your confusing republics with democracy. Democracy is when everyone votes not just leaders no country at the moment exists that is a democracy. Republics is just when the people vote in leaders and the leaders vote on issues and what not, which is the system most countries currently use.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:35:20 am by PlatinumSun »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2018, 11:17:55 am »

Lol ok thanks for the info. Does that nullify the argument wntirely though?

PlatinumSun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2018, 11:37:00 am »

Lol ok thanks for the info. Does that nullify the argument wntirely though?

'entirely' not "wntirely".

Is Donald Trump king of America? Is Justin Trudeau SUPREME LEADER OF CANADA AND WEALD UNLIMITED POWAHR! No neither of them are. And as such this doesnt nullify the argument at all. Becuase the USA and Canada is a Republic.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:49:33 am by PlatinumSun »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2018, 12:36:45 pm »

Okay. May I point out that it's supposed to say world and power...
Your earlier post doesn't even conflict with what I said, as nobles voted on different matters in the examples I used. It seems that you are confused about republics and democracy. Freek democracies didn't include every person, yet they made decisions in a democratic manner.

PlatinumSun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2018, 12:43:57 pm »

Well even then its not a proper republic. Becuase the nobles and barons are not voted in by the people.
And in DF the nobles reign over what they reign over and then the king reigns iver the whole civ. It hasnt been programmed in yet so the king can overule any mandates of the barons.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 12:47:17 pm by PlatinumSun »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2018, 01:01:00 pm »

Indeed, and this is why we discuss these things in the suggestion forum. It seems to me that you get hanged up on a word.
[url]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Liberty
This explains what I meant earlier.

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2018, 03:46:17 pm »

Wait...
Is this a discussion about what defines different types of governance?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19