Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Coin minter skill profession

(1/13) > >>

FantasticDorf:
This idea can comfortably wait for another 1-2 years for the relvant arc, so there's no enormous rush.

Initially it is to make a Minting sub profession for metalworkers, a metalworking profession specific to coins (and plate related metal artisan product) in the same way gemcutters are specific to minerals.

[*]Dwarves of high intelligence & kinesthetic skill will produce more detailed coins and the coins themselves are worth more individually a piece (rather than motary value) & are more exact to the specific details that matter.[/list]
[*]Poorly designed coins are worthless, and it may be the only profession where you may actuallly make a xxbrokenxx object initially on the first try due to uncreative & unskilled dwarves minting badly made coins. Which will give dwarves relevant bad thoughts until they become better at their craft, and the coins are automatically sorted to refuse where availible.[/list]

Minters are also responsible for medallions & commemorative coins which are special craft items

--- Quote ---> Medals & medallions may be awarded to a dwarf as a motivation booster with a particular feat, and these inherit a special status of a historical object once assigned and will follow the dwarf much like a family heirloom. Certain historical figures may also either already possess medals because of their position, or have medals bestowed upon them by hist-figs.

> Commemorative coins are abstract non-acceptable currency coins that are a craft object, usually detailing a event, dwarves like to aquire these. Multiples of these may be made out of one bar so they can easily fufill many dwarves needs if they have coffer/chest space
--- End quote ---

Dwarves with sufficient levels in minting coins will also be able to author books and study scholar topics about the economy, since they have a inner knowledge of the currency they produce, similar to mechanics.

Halnoth:
In my opinion a specific minting skill is not needed. Metalcrafting ought to suffice.

Egan_BW:
"More skills" seems to be the direction that DF is taking. Like with "fighter" vs "swordsdwarf" skills, I imagine that both will matter for the task at hand, and both will gain experience from crafting coins.
I don't see why knowledge of the specifics of creating coins would make one qualified to write about The Economy, though. Maybe a lifetime of minting would reflect or bolster an interest in money, and thus also economics, but the two skills aren't really related.

Bumber:
I don't see why minting coins would require any different skill from crafting a figurine. It's probably even simpler since you can mass produce them with a mold.

Miles_Umbrae:

--- Quote from: Bumber on August 07, 2018, 07:37:25 pm ---I don't see why minting coins would require any different skill from crafting a figurine. It's probably even simpler since you can mass produce them with a mold.

--- End quote ---
Coins aren't molded, they are punched, pressed or stamped(whichever you would call it).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version