Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Splint's Prehistoric Creature Pack  (Read 15297 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Splint's Prehistoric Creature Pack
« on: August 08, 2018, 10:28:45 pm »

SPLINT'S PREHISTORIC CRITTER PACK
A module for an upcoming mod
TIMES BEFORE TIME
An Anachronistic Copper Age Mod

Hello there! Once again I have come, with a half-assed mod in tow. This time around it's just a pack of creatures, with nothing really fancy.

Contained herein is a selection of random critters, some of them from Far Cry Primal (my first and favorite entry personally,) others from general prehistory, and still more simply made up but meant to fill a niche of non-vanilla giant bugs. Most of the predators are war and hunting trainable, and everything can be tamed, as well as come in a variety of flavors. The names are fairly simplified, as they're meant to be reflective of the human tribals you play as in the main mod.

Simply drop the raw folder into your game's folder and you're good to go! Special thanks to ZM5 and Hugo for checking for fuck-ups in my raws and getting the trilobites to be millable properly, and MottledPetrel for many of the suggested inclusions.

More ideas and additions are welcome.

Spoiler: GROUND BIRDS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: MAMMALS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: SYNAPSIDS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: INVERTEBRATES (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: TROLLS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GREMLINS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: MISC ADDITIONS (click to show/hide)

And here's the Download link.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Splint's Prehistoric Creature Pack
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 07:13:58 pm »

Welcome to the club!
EDIT: Welcome to our cluuuub, welcome to our cluuub, Welcome Splint, Welcome Splint! (spongebob references are great)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 12:49:39 am »

Welcome to the club!
EDIT: Welcome to our cluuuub, welcome to our cluuub, Welcome Splint, Welcome Splint! (spongebob references are great)

I wasn't aware there was a club I was joining :v

Besides, I've released one mod before. I just haven't updated it in forever and should probably just rebuild it from the ground up with vanilla as a foundation as opposed to Stal's Armory...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 01:50:17 am »

Yeah, got the first download. Will have a look at setting up some sprites. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 03:35:05 am »

Yeah, got the first download. Will have a look at setting up some sprites. ;)

The fact you got the first download is both neat and depressing, but hey. Can't win'em all. Not like the elf war mod did particularly well either.  :P

Any ideas for more animals anyone? These things are all gonna show up in regular biomes for the most part. Besides Dire Wolves. I already planned those and forgot to include them. (they'll be almost as large as a dwarf and include white and striped versions that are worth more, as well as fearless to encourage you to fight them to remove them as a threat or try to capture them for your army or hunters.)

I'm willing to give anything a try, as long as it stays on the ground and remains some kind of mammal, bird, or bug, and they needn't be real life animals so long as they feel like a fit to a prehistoric age.  No fliers though. Because fuck fliers.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 08:37:09 am »

Welcome to the club!

Besides, I've released one mod before. I just haven't updated it in forever and should probably just rebuild it from the ground up with vanilla as a foundation as opposed to Stal's Armory...
The club is the club of people who've made extinct creature packs

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 09:11:06 am »

Welcome to the club!

The club is the club of people who've made extinct creature packs

Ahhhhh, okay. Well, I figured I may as well release the critters head of a broken and soon-to-be-overhauled stone/copper age mod, for anyone who would prefer just the wildlife over all the other mod shit; plus this gives me a place to trawl for ideas of other things to add, and doesn't just include real life animals.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 10:57:32 am »

Dinosaurs. I know, not stone age in most cases, but FUN.

PS: if you want more interest, try the df subreddit too. :-)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 06:43:28 pm »

How far back in geological time are you willing to go? Because Anomalocaris is one of my favorite extinct genuses, but it's WAY far back in the evolutionary timeline.

Doedicurus might be more in the area you're going for, extinct as of a mere 11,000 years ago.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 06:47:16 pm by MottledPetrel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 07:35:21 pm »

Dinosaurs. I know, not stone age in most cases, but FUN.

PS: if you want more interest, try the df subreddit too. :-)

How far back in geological time are you willing to go? Because Anomalocaris is one of my favorite extinct genuses, but it's WAY far back in the evolutionary timeline.

Doedicurus might be more in the area you're going for, extinct as of a mere 11,000 years ago.

I'm willing to go as far back as people are willing to suggest, as long as it's not a dinosaur or anything flight-capable (as I hate Fliers, and Enemy Post more or less covered straight dinosaurs in his own pack of goodies.) Land animals are preferred, or at least things that could feasibly be amphibious, because I'd rather this be stuff players can actively hunt and fight against, which the first thing doesn't really fall under, though I'm not against it (hell, might include it as an amphibious bitey thing and trilobites as a fishable thing that gives shells.)

EDIT: Added an additional spoiler box for suggestions and unimplemented animals.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 08:57:29 pm »

Well if that's the case, I've got a LOT of prehistoric amphibians that I would like to suggest. It's going to probably take a bit for me to find and compile all of their names, but the diplocaulus is definitely one of my favorites.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 11:01:01 pm »

Alright, added to the list. What do you guys think of making semi-megabeast grade critters as common dangers? Cause at least one I had for that in mind is a smaller relative of the roc, the Thunderbird, as a mountain predator.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 03:08:37 am »

Got a little present for you. Not sure if they all fit perfectly to what you imagined, but here you go:
Adult/Hunting/War/Child/Undead

You have a lot of bright greens, jades, etc in the raws; maybe I made a few things too green.

The brown/leather saddled creatures are the hunting trained, the grey/metal saddled are the war trained. I kept the same color theme for the spider and scorpion. I also made trainable versions for most of the untrainable creatures, till I noticed. :D

The green/grey/white lion through me off a bit I have to admit. ^^

For more creatures I'd suggest sabretooth tiger, giant cave sloths and those big extinct rhinos. Mammoths fit well too.

PS:  No need for a hotel, did those in the tent yesterday and uploaded from a cafe with wifi just now. :D

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 08:23:13 am »

Quite frankly the fact I can use these creatures with your tileset without them sticking out like a sore thumb is already more than I (and possibly anyone else) was expecting, and even if not 100% accurate honestly? They're close enough, that's all that really matters in this situation.

Any quibbles I have are more to do with more minor details than anything.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 12:15:59 pm »

smaller relative of the roc, the Thunderbird, as a mountain predator.
I thought this was a prehistoric creature pack?
Pages: [1] 2 3