Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Splint's Prehistoric Creature Pack  (Read 15332 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Splint's Prehistoric Creature Pack
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 01:52:14 pm »

smaller relative of the roc, the Thunderbird, as a mountain predator.
I thought this was a prehistoric creature pack?

It is, I never said this was strictly a real life one. (just look at the green stalker and blue devourer.) Hence why I asked what you guys thought. I'm casting a net in a direction of what would both be good additions, be plausible, and fit into a prehistoric DF.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 04:54:19 am »

I for one would recommended stickig to real-life prehistoric creatures.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 05:24:10 pm »

Since you're the only one who said anything, we'll keep it there then outside the realm of bugs (cause I gotta fill that role with stuff that'd be fun to have, not necessarily realistic stuff.)

If nobody else has any recommendations, I'll go ahead and do a quick hack job on the stuff currently in the unimplemented section sometime this week.

Abyzou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 07:46:19 pm »

Since you're the only one who said anything, we'll keep it there then outside the realm of bugs (cause I gotta fill that role with stuff that'd be fun to have, not necessarily realistic stuff.)

If nobody else has any recommendations, I'll go ahead and do a quick hack job on the stuff currently in the unimplemented section sometime this week.

Gigantopithecus: Extinct giant ape. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigantopithecus

Megatherium: Elephant-sized ground sloth. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megatherium

Procoptodon: Giant kangaroo (ok, some of these species were small - Procoptodon goliah is the one you want). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procoptodon

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 08:58:16 pm »

Work that's been done.

- Dire Wolves are now in, with both striped and white wolf castes as worth more. They can be found in the same places as wolves and are significantly larger.

- Trilobites come in two flavors - a cat-sized creature, and a significantly smaller fishable version. The larger ones can be tamed and used as a source of eggs. May or may not include the ability to mill thier chitin into cheap black dye or oil. Unlike most animals, they are going to be named properly so people know what they are. They'll essentially be commonplace in lakes and oceans.

- Argentavis Magnificens, in spite of my hatred for fliers, is in. I've chosen to interpret their name as "Magnificent Silver Bird" rather than "Magnificent Argentine Bird." As such, they will be under the name of "Silver eagles" and can be trained for fighting. They can be found in mountains and a few temperate biomes. They're the size of the pre-34.11 giant eagles. I chose to take the dive hunt tag from peregrines and put it on them as well for shiggles.

- Diplocaulus is in as the "hammerhead salamander" an oceanic and wetland animal in two flavors, one the size of a cat (found in oceans as the lesser hammerhead salamander) and one about twice that, in wetland biomes (as the greater hammerhead salamander.)

Gigantopithecus: Extinct giant ape. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigantopithecus

Megatherium: Elephant-sized ground sloth. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megatherium

Procoptodon: Giant kangaroo (ok, some of these species were small - Procoptodon goliah is the one you want). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procoptodon

I'll add'em to the list.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 09:10:17 pm »

This is quickly becoming an ARK: Survival Evolved mod, almost all of the creatures suggested so far are in it. Honestly, at this point you should probably just look at that game for some ideas.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 09:20:03 pm »

The only things really meant to act as a full shout out to that game are the argentavis and the use for trilobite chitin in oil making. Everything else is from documentaries, far cry primal (the dire wolves for example, are too small to make good mounts, being based on Primal's version of them,) or stumbled into on wikipedia/suggested by you guys, nor is everything usable as a mount like the majority of ARK's wildlife.

I mean, I could just straight go down the list from the wiki there, but I'd prefer it be stuff you guys actually might want or from other sources, since ARK is kind of too easy to reach for (hence why the pack is so small right now.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 08:47:02 am »

Bump to inform: v2 update is out, implementing everything currently on the OP. Remember, everything can be found outside savage biomes.

Big thanks to ZM5 for helping with the flat shrimp.

Currently trilobite shells cannot be milled to oil paste or dye yet.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 11:14:23 am »

I wouldn't say go down the list of things in their game anyways, I just thought I'd point it out, turns out you were already aware.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 11:31:01 am »

To be honest I agree with this, I just didn't post earlier. Naming this a "prehistoric creatures pack" sounds like a pretty clear definition of what this mod is about, and having features that don't fit into that can be offputting.

IMO people tend to mentally categorize the mods they like. Kind of like the arguments in the modest mod thread about how this change or that change isn't "in scope". I specifically renamed my Modest Mod fork to Revised to try to get away from promises of it being a "bugfixing mod" and I still get users commenting sometimes that this change or that change isn't part of what (they think) Revised is about. I find that helpful, because while I don't always agree with them it helps keep my ambition in check and it helps me avoid feature bloat.

It's your mod Splint, I'm just sharing my thoughts. It's interesting to me because some of the criticism I've had for both my tileset work and my mod have been from people expecting one thing but getting another. Kind of like how my tilesets at some point became more "ASCII-like". They didn't used to be, but changes over time slowly brought my tilesets closer to the vanilla tilesets and before I knew it users were suggesting changes purely to make things "more like pure ASCII". I'm often tempted to make some of the tiles more graphical, but that's just going to be offputting for people that expect something close to vanilla.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:59:45 am by Taffer »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2018, 11:54:29 am »

I noticed exactly that behaviour early on while modding, which is why I made the mod-launcher/editor for my mod and thus MasterworkDF was born.

There will always be people that disagree with some kind of your mod. You must learn to decide which Feedback to accept and which to ignore.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2018, 12:50:11 pm »

Just think about it, isn't that the reason for modding in the first place? Someone makes something that you either don't want or doesn't include what you want, be it base game or another mod, and then you make your own content just the way you like it to fix that?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 04:05:08 pm »

If you mod foryourself, yes. If you mod for thousands of user, no. ;-)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2018, 04:34:27 pm »

I noticed exactly that behaviour early on while modding, which is why I made the mod-launcher/editor for my mod and thus MasterworkDF was born.

There will always be people that disagree with some kind of your mod. You must learn to decide which Feedback to accept and which to ignore.

Unfortunately I don't have the skills to include such a thing.

To be honest I agree with this, I just didn't post earlier. Naming this a "prehistoric creatures pack" sounds like a pretty clear definition of what this mod is about, and having features that don't fit into that can be offputting.

Hence why I asked, even though the mod isn't 100% about IRL prehistory (see the bugs and troll variants in the pack.) It's spelled out it's part of a larger scope mod centered on an anachronistic version of dwarf fortress and it's "time before time." But I figure if the few people actually bothering to comment don't think something else from the mod should be included, then I'll defer to those few people since they're actually probably using the mod.

also @ MottledPetrel - That shrimp thing is fuckin' weird looking. I needed ZM5's help to figure out something sensible for its body, but it was a good learning experience.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 05:21:01 pm »

So I was thinking, what would you guys think of having neanderthals and homo erectus as optional entities? While it'd be super unrealistic, so is the pack in general in terms of the current random grab-bag mix of wildlife, and they as species fall under the purview of the pack.

Neanderthals would come in both friendly and hostile flavors, using pack animals to trade with you in the former case; size wise they'd be between dwarves and humans, with higher than average strength. Homo erectus would count as a skulker civ, though they'd be braver than kobolds (that is, lack fleequick, which may make some stand and fight if caught, since they'd be right around dwarf size I imagine.)

Their weapon choice would be limited, similar to elves, relying on spears, clubs, and bows (or blowguns in Homo Erectus' case.) Both would have a custom material to make weapons from - fire-hardened wood (de facto copper by another name, but it suits them better thematically,) as well as possibly a "bone" material based on bronze for its values.

Once again just trawling the waters, since nobody's made any suggestions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3