Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War animals not always leaving on raids  (Read 1068 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War animals not always leaving on raids
« on: August 10, 2018, 08:18:54 pm »

I'm playing on 44.12 with current DFhack on mac.  Every time (3) I've send out raiding parties they take all but 1 war animal with them. Each of my squad has about 10 animals assigned to one member, 9 will go without a problem and 1 will continuously run to the edge of the map as if to leave, then wander back to the tavern or wherever, then run back to the edge of the map, over and over.  Checking out that animal in the [g] view shows them to be "Pet of Somebody" no name listed, but in the [z] animals screen it shows their real owner is a raiding dwarf.

Each time this has happened I've had to kill the animal in some overly complicated way because I can't get them to pasture and the dwarves won't take them anywhere.  Once I killed the first one my army who had been gone two years immediately came back. It's been the same every time.

I've recently found this script that turns them to smoke:
lua dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit().animal.vanish_countdown=2
which is very helpful, but I'd much rather not have to kill a war beast every time I send out a mission.

I also found a script on reddit called freepet.lua that is supposed to remove assigned pets and war animals, but it hasn't worked for me:
u = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit(true)

if (u == nil) then
        prints "ERROR: No unit selected."
    return
end

u.relations.following = nil
u.relations.pet_owner_id = -1

I couldn't find anyone else talking about this, but has anyone experienced war animals consistantly failing to go on raids? Any solutions or ways to unassign those animals?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War animals not always leaving on raids
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 08:39:55 pm »

Are they assigned to a pasture too?
That's the only time I've seen pets fail to leave on raids. Even cats tag along for the journey.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War animals not always leaving on raids
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 12:12:31 am »

No, they aren't pastured. I tried pasturing and unpasturing them to see if it would sort it out, but the animal never really seemed to respond to it.  Just randomly running to any part of the map then stopping at the exit and turning around, even down to Z-level 4 caverns.