Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RAIN Problem  (Read 617 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RAIN Problem
« on: August 09, 2018, 06:02:26 pm »

In my current game it's raining all the time... nonstop raining.  I found how to turn off the rain in the D_INIT file and turn off the rain in PyLNP settings, but is there any way to adjust the frequency of the rain so it's less often?  The game started feeling depressing hearing rain constantly nonstop... and I live in the dessert where in real life it rarely rains. 

Any advice would be great

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RAIN Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 06:52:26 pm »

In my current game it's raining all the time... nonstop raining.  I found how to turn off the rain in the D_INIT file and turn off the rain in PyLNP settings, but is there any way to adjust the frequency of the rain so it's less often?  The game started feeling depressing hearing rain constantly nonstop... and I live in the dessert where in real life it rarely rains. 

Any advice would be great
You can turn off the weather in d_init. Change "Weather: Yes" to "Weather: No".

If you don't do that you can't make your embark "rain less frequently". The weather is a complex system that effects the entire world. Some parts of the world get a lot of rain, like the real world. Best you can do is embark somewhere where it doesn't rain much. Like a desert.
Not sure why you're "hearing" rain. Must be some kind of sound mod you're using. You can find out how to turn that off by asking in the mod forum.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 08:46:40 pm »

I'd guess it is soundsense.

The raining might also be caused by a different (air) biome that is wetter than the desert. In that case, that's something you can fix with a hack.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 03:39:10 am »

I'd guess it is soundsense.

The raining might also be caused by a different (air) biome that is wetter than the desert. In that case, that's something you can fix with a hack.
I don't think it is, unless the rain never reaches the ground. When an evil air biome rains blood it doesn't reach the ground, but can stick on top of buildings, trees, etc. as well as for invisible puddles in the air. Conversely, I floored over a complete tile of evil biome to block the syndrome inducing rain, and it was easier that I'd expected because it never rained syndrome rain on the builders, 12 Z levels up in the air, which was in the air biome.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 04:00:15 am »

well three spectres crippled my new kingdom of 10 dwarves.

I adjusted the parameter settings so my next world creation has a maximum rainfall of 59 instead of 100.   

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 08:06:34 am »

Spectres? Not a vanilla thing as far as I know.

If you've embarked in a desert the rainfall isn't 100%, as the biome is largely determined by Rainfall, and deserts/badlands are the lowest rainfall biomes there are. A maximum rainfall of 59 will probably cut out all of the highest rainfall biomes (the wiki has a page that describes how parameters result in biomes).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 03:13:38 pm »

I think there's a misunderstanding that's been carried on for a while. OP never actually said they embarked in a desert...

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 03:35:10 pm »

You also could modify Soundsense to stop triggering the rain audio when it starts raining in your fort. I did that to stop the sparring combat sounds.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?