Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Phoebus Tileset Assembler - Can it be remade for other sets?  (Read 4350 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Phoebus Tileset Assembler - Can it be remade for other sets?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 03:43:03 pm »

Did you have a look at the configuration files (they are not XML in the last version)?
Yep, I got all of that. I altered pretty much all txt and xml files (previews & tileset are xml files; in the main folder) and tried with the 32x tileset of mine, replacing most things.

Is the unicode-art okay for previews?
Mostly yes. With TWBT its harder, I will have to make different preview setups for different PNGs.

No idea how you best do creatures... load the png in its entirety? I've mostly been thinking about 2 options for the creatures:
 - Replace entire files (Meph, Vordak, Oab) for dwarves, domestic pets, megabeasts...
 - Replace military units within Vordaks set. He made... 10 or so soldier sprites for everything. People could pick one.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 04:34:35 pm »

I would do creatures the same as any other tileset. From the point of view of the assembler, it would be an override tileset but saved to raw/graphics instead of data/art and a special size. As I said before starting, I don't plan to edit raws, so your creature tilesets will have to use the same layouts: every variant should work with the same graphics_*.txt.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 05:21:30 pm »

That can be easily done. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 07:58:52 am »

new version

• You can configure multiple tilesets. The "tilesets" section in the ini is now an array, each tileset has its own output path. In previews, you can add a "tilesets" section for defining the source tileset of each tile, tilesets numbers start at 0.
  • You can set tile size in a preview with either "tilesizefrom:<tileset index>" or "tilesize:<width>:<height>". Default is to use the first tileset tile size.
  • TWBT transparent tileset are supported (with -bg and -top suffixes), add "mode = TWBT" in the tileset definition.
  • You can make previews with multiple layers to show transparent tiles on top of others. Add ":<layer index>" after "tiles", "foreground", "background" or "tilesets" to define a specific layer (default is layer 0).
  • Configuration items are grouped in tabs. Tabs are not used if there is only one group (and the name field is not needed in this case). Check the example for the syntax.
  • Creature tilesets can be added, you need to give the tileset size with tileset_width and tileset_height in the ini. "mode = Creature" can be used to prevent the coloring of creature tiles in previews (but is the same as Normal mode for the tileset creation).
  • You can use "enumtiles:<tileset index>" in preview files to create whole tileset previews without typing each tile.
  • I added an About dialog where you can add some information about your tileset (currently "author", "version", "licence", "url", tell me if you need more).
  • Scroll bars are added for long list of settings or big previews

Other notes:
  • The preview file format does not allow for tile numbers above 255, you cannot use the last tiles from big creature tilesets except with enumtiles.
  • I added a white square in your sword background for testing background rendering. It is not a bug if you see a red or green square next to them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 07:04:27 am »

Finally had some time to look at everything.

... I think that actually covers pretty much every feature tilesets, TWBT and creatures would need. Wow.

I'll have to sit down for a while and make some options, see how it works with the actual set, but I think this will turn out just great. :)

Vordak might be especially happy, since people will be able to pick any of his dwarf sprites now.

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 03:40:48 am »

Don't hesitate to make suggestions on the file formats. I am not happy with it (especially the preview part) but you are the one who has to write them. I don't see any way to support tiles above 255 without using tile numbers, that require adding separators (and optionally quotes for adding some tiles as an ASCII character, like in DF files):
Code: [Select]
tiles
 % â+++++║+`╔à•à
   ä╔╦╦╗+║+,║à╟à
  £à╚╩╩╝+║+.╚═╝à
would become
Code: [Select]
tiles
 32:'%': 32:131:'+':'+':'+':'+':'+':186:'+':'`':201:133:  7:133
 32: 32: 32:132:201:203:203:187:'+':186:'+':',':186:133:199:133
 32: 32:156:133:200:202:202:188:'+':186:'+':'.':200:205:188:133
It could also be possible to have both and choose the format with the preceding keyword.

Same goes for the source tileset part. It currently uses 0-9 then a-z, that let you use 36 tilesets. That is a lot, but with creature tilesets, the number can grow fast.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2018, 08:37:08 am »

I'm still on tour, currently in Czech Rep, but I'll be home in a couple of days and have more time to actually work with it. :)

Could you compile it as 64 bit exe for that? The 32 bit was just for the tablet while I'm on the way and I'm absolutely sure that most end users have a 64 bit OS.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 08:52:37 am »

Is performance enough of a concern to do that?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 08:54:30 am »

No idea.

Well, Clements, do what you think is best. ^^ But there is no real reason to make it 32bit, since it will be included in the Meph-Tileset pack, which requires 64bit anyway.

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 09:11:55 am »

It is only a program that writes a few image files, 64 bits is not needed. And it is not an issue for me to compile a 32 bits Windows application. But for Linux, I may provide a 64 bits executable as it is easier to build.
Pages: 1 [2]