Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Easy Vampire Identification  (Read 1977 times)

Quicunque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Easy Vampire Identification
« on: August 10, 2018, 07:13:52 am »

"Overall, Logem is somewhat focused with satisfied needs."

Except, her name is Sazir, at least that's what she is called elsewhere. So, by glancing at a dwarf's thoughts & preferences, if the last paragraph (on Needs) uses a different name, I suspect a vampire. This subject (Logem, alias Sazir) also has other evidences: a few former member affiliations, no claimed bedroom, many absent relatives, many skills. But if vampire identification is as easy as the different name in the Needs paragraph, why haven't I seen this bit of advice before? Shouldn't it be on the wiki for Vampires, the "Identification" section?

Or am I mistaken about this? Logem/Sazir hasn't yet drained anyone. Moreover, she is euphoric due to inebriation (though I do have a well stocked tavern with a diligent bar keep). Maybe the name change is a fluke. But why the different name, if not vampirism? What say ye?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Vampire Identification
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 07:31:26 am »

No claimed bedroom could be as simple as there not being any, or the dorm being more convenient than a free bed elsewhere. But if she hasn't slept at all? Vampire. 100%.

If nobody's been drained after a few months, or she's sleeping regularly, you can assume she's just someone who operated as a spy of some sort or had some other areason to live under an asusmed name for awhile in the past. It's a known bug.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 07:50:33 am »

"Overall, Logem is somewhat focused with satisfied needs."

Except, her name is Sazir, at least that's what she is called elsewhere. So, by glancing at a dwarf's thoughts & preferences, if the last paragraph (on Needs) uses a different name, I suspect a vampire. This subject (Logem, alias Sazir) also has other evidences: a few former member affiliations, no claimed bedroom, many absent relatives, many skills. But if vampire identification is as easy as the different name in the Needs paragraph, why haven't I seen this bit of advice before? Shouldn't it be on the wiki for Vampires, the "Identification" section?

Or am I mistaken about this? Logem/Sazir hasn't yet drained anyone. Moreover, she is euphoric due to inebriation (though I do have a well stocked tavern with a diligent bar keep). Maybe the name change is a fluke. But why the different name, if not vampirism? What say ye?

Identifying a vamp by his real name is a bug. There are already multiple places known where it happens (for example in reports from missions, or in artefact description, or when elected as a mayor). This is yet another place - but also a bug:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9595

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 08:16:08 am »

As mentioned, there are bugs where fake identities are revealed unintentionally, and fake identities have come into use for others than vampires fairly recently (including spies for your own civ that migrate to your fortress while still using their cover name). Vampires drink booze when served, but won't drink on their own accord, so if you have two vampires locked up together (to protect the rest of the fortress) they can satisfy each others booze need by serving each other as bar keepers. Since they don't need to breathe they won't suffocate to death on vomit either...

If you want to identify vampires easily DFHack provides multiple means to do so...