Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: True max number of civilizations?  (Read 542 times)

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
True max number of civilizations?
« on: August 29, 2018, 10:54:15 am »

So I've been tinkering a little bit so far with some world gen stuff. Tried making a world with the max of 300 civilizations but I kept getting crashed when trying to place civs. So I allowed that error to happen and proceed with world gen with that error, but then its just frozen a couple of times after reaching the end year and doing some step with the civs.

So I wonder, whats really the max number of civilizations you could generate a world with?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: True max number of civilizations?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 11:50:07 am »

Depends on available suitable biomes, I think. I've generated pocket worlds with over 200.

There at least used to be something odd going on with placement in larger worlds, though, i.e. where some squares are unsuitable for i.e. dwarves despite having calm mountains on them.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 12:26:55 pm »

I was generating a large region because I thought it would be easier to place 300 civs in it.  You've done 200 in pocket?

I keep getting stuck on "finalizing sites"
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:02:34 pm by Xyon »

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 03:22:36 pm »

Well yeah, seems like tweaking the # of civs and civ sites, pop cap for civs, etc, world gen is freezing up when finalizing sites, usually gets through almost all of the sites, and freezes at the last 20 or so.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 07:39:12 pm »

Are you using any mods? If so, check the raw files for errors like duplicated CASTE tags (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10548#c38712).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 12:11:40 am »

Yeah, I've done 200+ in a pocket, i.e. 206 here.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 04:06:48 am »

Are you using any mods? If so, check the raw files for errors like duplicated CASTE tags (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10548#c38712).

No mods, fresh install of .12, I did bump up the number of... evil things in world gen though. 1000 vampire curses, evil clouds, etc