Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stacking armor...still works?  (Read 1813 times)

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stacking armor...still works?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 05:00:35 pm »

I think they probably mean can you wear 5 shields, etc.  I believe you can not any more.
Spoiler:  Checkmate Atheists (click to show/hide)

And while I'm sharing images...

Spoiler: Fashion Show (click to show/hide)

Personally, I've been using the How a Man shall be Armed series(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ofqIc1g1nI) as a reference for equipping armor on adventurers and to a lesser extent fortress squads. It may not transfer perfectly to DF, and following it to the letter leaves you much better protected than most NPCs, but it's a decent guide to the basics: thick clothing on the bottom, mail armor in the middle, shaped armor on the top. Throw a cloak on top of it all for style and you're about as safe as you can get.

Currently the greatest weak points in a given(armored) creature are the neck and upper arms. Only mail shirts and leather armor cover these areas. Leather armor is, well, leather, and chain mail doesn't hold up well against piercing or blunt force. The neck is especially vulnerable: Even if the helmet and whatever clothing is underneath holds up against an assault on the head, the force of the blows will twist the neck, which can lead to a lethal case of whiplash.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 07:31:00 pm »

Text-based fashion shows are awesome.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 12:25:17 pm »

I doubt that stacking really works. I use it mostly in adventurer, but every item slows you down, and when you are hit, only one seems to work for a location, the rest is ignored (the item either mitigates the blow or does nothing, and the other items apparently don't count for this particular blow).

There is one advantage however. Once the one item is destroyed (which often happens very quickly), then the next one starts to being damaged.

Also regarding the leggings and greaves - they weigh exactly the same if from the same material.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 03:53:21 pm »

Lower quality material such as bronze and especially copper is going to fall apart quickly if it takes a hit. Leather armor may as be civilian clothing for the good it's done me, as it crumbles as fast as a coat or robe under the punishment I usually put it through. Using lower quality armor as an outer ablative layer to extend the life of your good stuff does sound like a good idea.
However, In my experience armor skill appears to reduce the wear taken by armor and clothing in combat.

Here's an excerpt from a scuffle I had with a night troll about a week ago. The adventurer was at skilled armor user, and full plate is just leather armor that is actually acceptable armor made from metal.
Code: [Select]
The bleak freak gores you in the left upper leg, bruising the muscle through the Xfull iron plateX!
The bleak freak charges at you!
You are surprised by the ferocity of The bleak freak's onslaught!
The bleak freak collides with you!
You are knocked over!

After pulling a Sir Robin, replacing the armor, and getting that adventurer's armor skill up to talented, the rematch went a little better for me.
Code: [Select]
The bleak freak gores you in the left upper leg, bruising the muscle through the full iron plate!
The bleak freak attacks you but You jump away!
You attack the bleak freak but He jumps away!
You strike the bleak freak in the throat with your iron shield and the injured part is crushed!
The force bends the neck, tearing apart the skin and bruising the fat!

Never use the same move twice.
It makes sense taht someone experienced with wearing armor would be able to mitigate damage inflicted on their equipment, as much to keep themselves alive as to extend the service life of their equipment. If this is the case, then it would be a good idea to stick to lower quality armor until you've got a higher armor user skill. There's no point shelling out for steel armor right out of the gate it you're just going to dent it up while training on wildlife.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.
Pages: 1 [2]