Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question Regarding Bridges and Cave Adaptation  (Read 133 times)

Ariosto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Question Regarding Bridges and Cave Adaptation
« on: August 10, 2018, 09:30:13 am »

Knowing how serious Cave Adaptation can adversely affect a military force, I was curious if there was a way where I could set up barracks and archery ranges with direct access to sunlight, but where in the case of an attack or siege I could still close up the fort, especially in the case of aerial foes. The concept I happened upon was the idea of retractable bridges that would act as roofs, which would be raised most times. Before planning this out and running with it however, I wanted to know if anyone experimented with anything similar and if it actually works; will a raised bridge actually allow light through, or will the squares that it normally covers still count as being indoor light?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Question Regarding Bridges and Cave Adaptation
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 11:00:18 am »

You should read the post or article about the method, and to exactly as advised, because it is quirky. But yes, it works.

One way to do it:
1. Reserve place for barracks deep enough so the bridge (retractable) can be built 2 z-levels or more above it (this is to prevent some bugs). Alternatively build walls so high. Dig what's needed, but don't build the archery targets or floors yet.

2. Build the bridge above, as said. Link it to the lever, and open. The space below (future barracks) will be still inside.

3. Build all over the barracks what you want - archery targets, weapon racks, pumps, whatever. Build either floors or dirt roads over unused space. The space will turn to outside (assuming the bridge is still open, i.e. retracted, before constructions are finished), which will heal cave adaptation after some months (but you will have to clean the vomit yourself).

4. Close the bridge if you want. Usually the space will remain outside, but after some time it may turn to inside. It will also turn to inside in tiles you build/rebuild. In such case you need to open the bridge first and then rebuild the affected tiles, for instance by building a dirt road.

Because of point 4, it is best to keep the bridge open, and close it only if there is a danger (flying foes or climbers, though there are protection methods against climbers).

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 12:43:15 pm »

You can use Therapist to check cave adaptation. Go to Windows->Docks->Grid Views to create a custom view, and you can add cave adaptation as a column.

Ariosto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 01:36:32 pm »

You should read the post or article about the method, and to exactly as advised, because it is quirky. But yes, it works.

One way to do it:
1. Reserve place for barracks deep enough so the bridge (retractable) can be built 2 z-levels or more above it (this is to prevent some bugs). Alternatively build walls so high. Dig what's needed, but don't build the archery targets or floors yet.

2. Build the bridge above, as said. Link it to the lever, and open. The space below (future barracks) will be still inside.

3. Build all over the barracks what you want - archery targets, weapon racks, pumps, whatever. Build either floors or dirt roads over unused space. The space will turn to outside (assuming the bridge is still open, i.e. retracted, before constructions are finished), which will heal cave adaptation after some months (but you will have to clean the vomit yourself).

4. Close the bridge if you want. Usually the space will remain outside, but after some time it may turn to inside. It will also turn to inside in tiles you build/rebuild. In such case you need to open the bridge first and then rebuild the affected tiles, for instance by building a dirt road.

Because of point 4, it is best to keep the bridge open, and close it only if there is a danger (flying foes or climbers, though there are protection methods against climbers).
If that is the case, I'm not sure if I want to bother with the bridges then as I'm liable to forget if the tiles have switched and need to be reconstructed, and then will send my Hammerers out, wondering why they're vomiting.

Should it ever be fixed though, I'll definitely take advantage of this. Thanks.