Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ? bug in assigning jobs  (Read 437 times)

stamasd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
? bug in assigning jobs
« on: August 11, 2018, 07:33:19 am »

I'm not sure this is a bug or not, maybe it's something I did wrong (a little rusty with DF now, haven't played in a couple of years or so).

I downloaded the latest LNP with DF 0.44.12 and all the nifty utils that come with it. Not using any mods, just the basic LNP with dfhack and dwarf therapist in use.

Set up a new world, prepared carefully with my basic assignments from back then (2 miners etc). Embarked near a large pile of fire clay.

Immediately I set 3 jobs: a tree chopping job, a plant gathering job and a mining job in the side of the clay hill. The tree chopping and plant gathering jobs triggered correctly but the mining job didn't. The miners just sat idly by without anything to do. I checked in dwarf therapist, they were assigned to mining. I played with job priorities, still no go. I designated another mining job in the side of the hill nearby, that one didn't trigger either.

Eventually the only way I could get the initial mining job to trigger was to designate a down staircase in a random location on the map. Immediately the initial mining job triggered and my miners started working on it.

Like I said I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. Unfortunately I didn't think of saving the game in the bugged state, I only have a save after the mining job was triggered (and I removed the designation for the useless staircase too).

Was it something that I did wrong, or is it a real bug? I haven't seen anything similar reported recently. There were some reports from back in 2014 about something similar happening.

To sum up:
-designated mining job #1, miners assigned to mining but idle
-designated mining job #2, miners still idle
-designated down stairs, mining job #1 triggered and miners started working on it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 07:44:40 am by stamasd »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ? bug in assigning jobs
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 12:15:46 pm »

Probably not a bug, but it's hard to tell. I'm not aware of many bugs in this department.
Other jobs (including socializing etc.) can have higher priority than mining. Unlikely immediately after embark, though. An unlikely case would be that the mining site became available only after a tree had been cut down.

stamasd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ? bug in assigning jobs
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 12:32:21 pm »

Don't think it was an accessibility issue. The tree cutting area was well away from the mining area; the area in front of the designated mine was clear; and the mining started instantly when I designated the stairs. There was no social stuff and the miners were just standing idle next to the cart, not doing any jobs.