Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silly Book Titles  (Read 5077 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Silly Book Titles
« on: August 11, 2018, 01:00:16 pm »

This is just a very minor, non-serious mod. As the thread title says, it just adds several silly potential titles for the books in your worlds.
Me and three other users on the Discord - Hexa, Dante the Wikibot and Space Dwarf thought it was pretty hilarious on how the game seems to essentially play "mad libs" with these, so I figured I'd share them - they also helped come up with some of the titles.
As for what the titles themselves are, well, its mostly game/book/movie/song/anime titles and clickbait-esque stuff parsed through the tokens. Some of the titles are a bit vulgar, admittedly, and there's also a series of romance novels based off of the ones from WoW that can pop up with some...interesting metaphors.
Some examples:
Elven tabloids!
Relationship advice!
Overly long titles!
I don't know what this is, but it sounds metal!
Bestiality!
Cannibalism!
Advice on cannibalism!
A love story that ends in cannibalism!
Terrible culinary advice!
This looks familiar...
Malicious clickbait!
My new favourite word!
Scepticism!
Manifestos!
This!
Criminal worship!

Download link here
That's about it - hope you guys enjoy it and have a bit of a laugh, I know we did.
To install, simply carry over the files into the main DF directory (where the executable file is) - it should ask you to replace the vanilla book_art.txt and book_instruction.txt - do so.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 01:03:00 pm by ZM5 »

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: Silly Book Titles
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 02:18:52 pm »

I seriously hope you keep at this, most of those were simply great. I'm just waiting for "Reverse hair loss with this one neat trick and elven blood" or "Elven traders HATE him, find out how Urist made millions in only 5 minutes".

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 03:04:02 pm »

These are awesome :D Have DL'd to have a look.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 05:37:54 pm »

there is a duplication I think you need to be careful and fix (though since it is book titles, duping those like when you dup languages is probably harmelss and and may make it funnier).

it is the part that goes:

We've Made A Drink Out Of [NAME]
We've Made A Drink Out Of [NOUN]

Disregard this, I thought it said two lines with nouns, not a name and a noun, sorry. I only saw that after I copy-pasted an posted.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 06:55:57 pm »

Well a name is still, you know, a noun. Does that cause a problem?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 11:57:16 am »

Nah, it just means the former will use the subject matter of the book for the [NAME] part (i.e "We've Made A Drink Out Of The Dwarves") whereas the latter will pick a word from the game's dictionary for the [NOUN] part (i.e "We've Made A Drink Out Of Planks")

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 04:17:35 pm »

Added a few more titles - one based on Petrel's suggested "Reverse Hair Loss" idea, the rest based on some song titles.

carewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 08:38:52 am »

Some of the title patterns are way too specific, I would prefer more flexibility in the templates. That said:

[NAME] 2: [ADJ] Boogaloo