Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

Fortress Mode with abandoned fortresses

(1/1)

ragincajun:
Is there a way to generate already abandoned fortresses that you can then go to in Fortress Mode?  I saw a DF YouTube series where it appears the YT'er has done that but I'm unaware of how to generate, let alone find this as an option or find the abandoned locale ingame.  Thanks in advance for any guidance.

To clarify, he did not build the fortress and then abandon it and restart to reclaim the fortress.  The fortress was "pre-abandoned" in his world gen. 

Telgin:
I'd guess it could happen randomly during worldgen.  I'm pretty certain that towns of various kinds can be abandoned for a few reasons, such as megabeast attacks that kill everyone, and I would assume that the same could happen to dwarf forts.

There's probably no way to influence the number of times this happens though, short of tweaking advanced worldgen parameters to make more monsters that could cause it.

Shonai_Dweller:
It's called a Reclaim.
Push R on the embark map, and you'll get a list of your civ's abandoned fortresses that you can choose to play.

Be aware that fortresses abandoned due to Forgotten Beast attacks may still be home to Forgotten Beasts.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Reclaim_fortress_mode

Dwarf Fortress generates a full history before you play. Wars, forgotten beast attacks, etc. Fortresses will be destroyed during this time as part of the natural course of history. I suggest looking through Legends sometime. You're missing out on a huge chunk of the game by ignoring it.

Destroyed sites will often be reclaimed by someone else by the time you get to play, but there's usually at least 5 or 6 still available that you can choose from if you generated a decent amount of history.

eerr:
You might have to switch dwarven Civs to find a good fortress.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version