Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baystation 12 And Its Connection With Bay 12 Games (Space Station 13)  (Read 3101 times)

oannes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

So recently I’ve discovered Space Station 13, and I am enjoying it. I was looking for a more heavily RP server, and I found Baystation 12. I didn’t think anything of the name, but then when I went into the canteen and heard the DF opening song playing on the jukebox it all clicked and I wondered, are these connected? So sure enough, That server came from here! I was pretty intrigued, but I can’t find a bunch of information on what went on and why Bay 12 isn’t connected with the server anymore. I also found a thread where (supposedly) Bay 12 was going to make their own game in something other than the BYond engine. Can anyone here shed any kind of light on these rumors and give a quick rundown of this history? It’s a bit hard trying to piece together everything from scattered and inaccurate forum posts. Thanks!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Baystation 12 And Its Connection With Bay 12 Games (Space Station 13)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:27:36 am »

It was originally designed with the goal of "DF in Space!", as far as I can tell. As time went on, it became staffed by less and less Bay12ers, and things started to get more and more bizarrely strict until it was a laughing stock in the entire SS13 community and even here. A few threads were locked essentially from the staff of Baystation 12 seemingly trying to start shit. So this community distanced its self from that community.

Things have pretty drastically improved from what it once was, but it has very little to no relationship with Bay12, as most of the staff as far as I can tell don't even visit the site.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 09:28:37 am »

Presumably, the same way /tg/station and Goonstation aren't really connected with /tg/ or SA. People NOT from Bay12 came there, and the people from Bay12 left or were drowned out. That happens when a server isn't really advertised on its forum too much. Most Bay12ers play /tg/station now.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

oannes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 09:42:31 am »

Presumably, the same way /tg/station and Goonstation aren't really connected with /tg/ or SA. People NOT from Bay12 came there, and the people from Bay12 left or were drowned out. That happens when a server isn't really advertised on its forum too much. Most Bay12ers play /tg/station now.

Doesn't Bay12 have their own server up atm? I found a post saying it was called Urist McStation.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 09:50:24 am »

Doesn't Bay12 have their own server up atm? I found a post saying it was called Urist McStation.
It's not very active. Or so I heard. Most have moved to /tg/.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

oannes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 10:03:43 am »

Tg's actually the first server I played on. it's kind of odd, though, since /tg/ isn't very RP centric. Thats the whole reason I moved to Baystation lol.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 07:06:40 am »

That's pretty much it. The unfortunate fact is that Bay12 simply doesn't have enough interested players to sustain a full-time SS13 server. We had more enough people to have some really fun and interesting rounds on Urist McStation, mind you, but the key word here is sustain. After a couple months people started to move onto other things and nobody showed up to replace them. So Urist McStation just slowly ground to a halt.

This is why Baystation 12 is its own thing now. It managed to attract enough 'outsiders', for lack of a better term, to continue but that also meant that it drifted away from the forums. Can't blame anyone for this, honestly. That's just how things go sometimes.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 07:17:06 am »

Bay12 server to my understanding, is that unless you're sec, you cant really do anything.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

oannes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 10:37:17 am »

That's pretty much it. The unfortunate fact is that Bay12 simply doesn't have enough interested players to sustain a full-time SS13 server. We had more enough people to have some really fun and interesting rounds on Urist McStation, mind you, but the key word here is sustain. After a couple months people started to move onto other things and nobody showed up to replace them. So Urist McStation just slowly ground to a halt.

This is why Baystation 12 is its own thing now. It managed to attract enough 'outsiders', for lack of a better term, to continue but that also meant that it drifted away from the forums. Can't blame anyone for this, honestly. That's just how things go sometimes.

Actually, the UristMcStation community is still going on, they don't have permanent servers, but it looks like they are going to host this weekend (I had to do some digging lol). Here's a link to their discord I found, they are even working on a new map! https://discord.gg/SqtD8mJ