Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why are dark fortress trolls doing this?  (Read 1679 times)

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
Why are dark fortress trolls doing this?
« on: August 14, 2018, 12:30:20 pm »

I went to a dark fortress as a human vampire adventurer. The trolls acted normal for a while... but than they just started killing eachother (and also killing goblins). I'm not asking for how to stop them from doing this, it reduces lag and is funny. I just want to know why they're doing that.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are dark fortress trolls doing this?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 01:58:33 pm »

[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:PERSONAL_MATTER] at work, I guess.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 12:32:22 pm »

combined with them needing to show identification on a constant means members of the civ ends up being flag as neutral which provokes the member of the civ to attack.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 02:58:15 pm »

I think it has more to do with telling friend from foe than the whole "Murder is A-OK" thing. I say this because I've watched the following scenario play out time and again while sneaking around goblin sites.

My take is that we're witnessing a loyalty cascade caused by trolls failing to respond to friend-or-foe requests. It's understandably hard to declare allegiances when you can't speak, and that's sort of a big problem. I've started giving trolls the ability to speak and it seems to fix the problem, but it's hard to say for certain when you have to factor in legalized murder and foreign spies who may or may not be getting found out and killed in front of you, all while staying hidden in an entire city of green idiots who want you dead so as not to contaminate test results.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 01:19:59 am »

I think it has more to do with telling friend from foe than the whole "Murder is A-OK" thing. I say this because I've watched the following scenario play out time and again while sneaking around goblin sites.

My take is that we're witnessing a loyalty cascade caused by trolls failing to respond to friend-or-foe requests. It's understandably hard to declare allegiances when you can't speak, and that's sort of a big problem. I've started giving trolls the ability to speak and it seems to fix the problem, but it's hard to say for certain when you have to factor in legalized murder and foreign spies who may or may not be getting found out and killed in front of you, all while staying hidden in an entire city of green idiots who want you dead so as not to contaminate test results.

I mean to be fair it sounds like the goblin sites are still less violent and self destructive than the average dwarven fortress these days.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 02:03:58 pm »

I mean to be fair it sounds like the goblin sites are still less violent and self destructive than the average dwarven fortress these days.

And that's the problem. The fact the troll can't respond makes it a one-sided engagement which will never reach the scale of a dwarven dance party. The troll can't tell people what happened and thereby violently upset others, they must wait for another goblin to happen along and start a fight, and hope someone else sees it. I'm also offended by the lack of magma involved. I mean they could at least throw someone down one of their burial pits, come on.

I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.