Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Talatapushak - Orc Fortress 0.4 test & feedback fort  (Read 5862 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Talatapushak - Orc Fortress 0.4 test & feedback fort
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 10:52:34 am »

I'm lucky enough to have a "control" fort for this experiment, since my wife also has a fort also about 6 years in on the same build.  She has plenty of steel and even mithril locally, happens to have had fewer and smaller invasions, and treats her citizens better (big personal rooms, furniture is all decorated, train safely in the Training pits and Blood bowl for a while before they go to the front line).  Also she actually builds some effective defenses, whereas I... um... have been doing important weapons effect balance testing?  Even with such a perfect fort, she has over half of her orcs at neutral, but most of the rest are happy, with ~5 maxed out ecstatic.  So that's another data point.  So i have some tentative conclusions.

* Some of Tarn's DF personality features still need tweaking.  Away from good food, away from family, away from tradition, etc. just keep racking up even when you're surrounded by masterwork lavish meals and many new friends.

* Ologs being able to one-hit kill a resident elf bard or snaga in a bar fight, i classify as a feature, not a bug.  The player has enough tools to work with it, like keeping the ologs extra happy, using a special burrow for undercastes, etc.

* When it comes to unhappyness due to corpses and bodyparts on the battlefield, i will give the player some more tools (more to do with bones, crematoriums, etc.), but ultimately i think the player is going to have to spend some extra attention to clean-up, relative to older versions.  Garbage dumps and refuse piles actually put out of sight, many butcher shops if you're using fix-sentient-butcher, not weak-willed individuals at butchers, etc.

* I am sure there are ethics coming in to play:  [ETHIC:ASSAULT:PERSONAL_MATTER], [VALUE:FAMILY:30], [VALUE:SELF_CONTROL:-15], etc.  I might think about tuning some values or Willpower attribute a little bit.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 11:56:51 pm »

epilogue.

I spent a few seasons away, building a small Dwarf settlement in the same general corner of the world as Talatapushak, when I noticed that according to the Civilizations map, the old settlement was estimated to be home to over 400 orcs!  Well, that might be a sight to see, right?

Well, upon re-embarking, I see that in fact there's still just about 30 bloodied, axe wielding half crazed maniacs living knee deep in broken armor and severed limbs.  Just like I left it. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But, now most of the surviving population are nobility. So, thains and jarls and overlords exist.  Not sure why we have one of each, nor why they didn't get promoted until after I had retired the fort.

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 05:19:52 pm »

the only thing that feels weird for me is playing with orcs who actually care about seeing dead bodies and killing people. i miss the old orcs that felt joy from cutting down elves and butchering their bodies into fashionable clothing
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 12:41:27 am »

Indeed.  I wonder if there are some collection of personality traits that would help with being able to see (and butcher) dead bodies in particular, without messing too much with the morale mechanic in general.  SYMPATHY seems like a good candidate.

(edit:  They already have had pretty low sympathy -- [0:15:60], so the median is solidly in "is not affected by the suffering of others" territory, but it might be worth experimenting with a lower top end on that range)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:49:29 am by smakemupagus »

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 02:00:53 pm »

Talatapushak sounds pretty fun.  Thanks for posting your observations up.

fasquardon

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 02:12:38 pm »

Yeah this was a good read. Kinda sad that Masterwork at large is basically dead in the water for the time being (my humans ;_;) but glad that Orcs are still rolling

Zlorthishen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 08:32:04 am »

(my humans ;_;)

I just want to make a couple squads of fully trained human swordsman with full steel plate armor, bejeweled mithril swords and bull leather backpacks and waterskins, send them all out on 'excursions' to any nearby goblin pits and slowly but surely genocide pacify their settlements.

Blackworth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 12:11:13 am »

I love playing orks. keep this mod up!
Pages: 1 [2]