Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION_CAP]

(1/1)

Bob69Joe:
Hi. So I changed the cap before generating a world, to 8228 and the site cap to 777. I also doubled megabeasts and all "villain" types, werewolves, night creatures, etcetera. Though I did remove bogeymen and evil rain, and all the "disturbances" I doubled from 52 to 104. As for titans, I increased it from 33 to 321. The populations for my worlds are always really low for the "nice" civs, in fact there is one elf, 7 humans, and 109 dwarves in this recent world. And the goblins are 50,000! Even more than that, I just rounded. Why are goblins allowed to break the population cap?
_____
OK. I think I chose the right numbers. The pop cap this time was 11111 and the site cap was 1111. I find the original values pretty extreme, as the sites clutter literally entire rivers and mountains. This left alone plenty of nice natural areas and all civ populations are averaged around 8000 - though elves are a bit lower than the others - instead of one making all the others extinct, poor kobolds.

The numbers for goblins can rise massively from the standard disturbances and villains. Halving the numbers puts goblin numbers at equal generally, with other civs, whereas even doubling them, will multiply the goblins six-fold! So, I've put all "interaction" and "villains" to 13, which is either half or a quarter of the original numbers, removed bogeymen and evil rain, and kept my megabeasts at double the original and titans at 321. I really like pairs of dragons and cyclops, and such.

Tinnucorch:

--- Quote from: Bob69Joe on August 14, 2018, 06:54:29 pm ---Why are goblins allowed to break the population cap?
--- End quote ---

They are supposed to be a threat to the world and to the player, although in the latter they fail miserably. But it's not that the goblin civs break the population cap but that dark fortress break the site population cap -most goblin civs have almost all his population concentrated in one of those. Also note that [TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION_CAP] actually only affects historical figures.

And the only one setting related to creatures or interactions which should affect the number of goblins is the number of demons because ofSpoiler (click to show/hide) demons being goblin leaders, so more different types of demons allows for more globlin civs (I read somewhere that the ratio was around 1 goblin civ every 4 demon types). Types of evil rain and other interactions shouldn't affect at all to goblin (or any civ, really) prevalence/expansion since that doesn't make automatically more evil lands (avaible just for goblins to settle) but only the existing ones more diverse.

Bob69Joe:
Okey dokey. That's very helpful, thanks! So, just curious about two things now. Are goblins counted in the worldgen "total civilizations" or does that only produce elves, humans, and dwarves?

Also, without asking for too much spoiler content, how do all the "interactions," regional, disturbances, and secrets, affect civilizations placement or survivability?

Tinnucorch:
Goblin civs are counted. The thing is that raising total civilizations alone (without raising demon types) will not make more goblin civs.

I don't think interactions affect in any way except for the fact that most civs requiere neutral land. I think the exceptions are goblins settling in evil biomes and elves, who are also capable of settling in good biomes. How many of this biomes you get is handled by the good/evil desired square count setting and not the interactions ones, though. Also, I don't think the game keeps track of people dying to evil weather or anything like that that could hinder civilization survavility (but I could be wrong).

Finally, raise secret number high enough and you will start seeing a lot of towers spawning during worldgen. (see below)

Fleeting Frames:
Secret number is more of a cap, much like demon number. You also need mortals afraid of dying a violent death (i.e. with wars) and death gods; first you can boost the first by raising civ number and second by modding (forcing gods of death and making elves and goblins be mortal).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version