Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where are the dwarf fortress online communities?  (Read 1414 times)

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where are the dwarf fortress online communities?
« on: August 14, 2018, 08:13:21 pm »

I'm looking to soak up as much dwarf fortress as I can, and I'm wondering where online I can find other players. Obviously there are these forums, and I also know of the subreddit, but is that the extent of the community or are there any other places?
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud: Hello Ago. Life is, in a word, death.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud stabs you in the lower body with his iron scimitar, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left kidney!
The iron scimitar has lodged firmly in the wound!

Battle Royale Mode: A DFHack Script

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the dwarf fortress online communities?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:57:22 pm »

Freenode #dwarffortress is about the only one other than Bay12 and Reddit. It's really inactive, though. So get cozy with Bay12.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 07:13:40 am »

Well, there's also the /vg/ thread, but that's not for everyone of course.  ;)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 08:29:15 am »

Well, there's also the /vg/ thread, but that's not for everyone of course.  ;)
Yeah, stay away from 4chan unless you can stomach dangerous amounts of cancer.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 11:45:03 am »

There's also a few Discord servers, I think this one is the largest.

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 03:14:06 pm »

Heh, I'm already in that server. Thanks though, it seems this is the full extent of the community.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud: Hello Ago. Life is, in a word, death.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud stabs you in the lower body with his iron scimitar, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left kidney!
The iron scimitar has lodged firmly in the wound!

Battle Royale Mode: A DFHack Script

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 04:32:42 pm »

Query: would the obligatory Facebook group also count?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 04:53:18 pm »

(Written, but not posted, before mention of the Facebook place. I believe there are people here who might use Facebook, but I've not succumbed to that fad yet.)

It's the logical place for one to be. We have a ToadyOne actively posting here and while other places might well act as a "come and look at this, %randomonlineperson%, there's a thing called Dwarf Fortress, and there's maybe even a few of us here on %randomonlineforum% who can chat about it, get you interested, informed and eventually hooked" but like I wouldn't expect there to be too much technical/IC Nationstates chatter outside of the official Nationstates board, etc, the natural place for the core community of DF is here, everything else is just aforementioned gossip/bait/nerdgasming with an eye to putting it out there to various different other communities. It'd make no sense (whilst bay12forums in still existence) to make a full community hub on a Minecraft forum, or on usenet:comp.text.tex, or on Weibo.

Which is not to say that there aren't some subfora on places dedicated to Foo within which Fans Of Foo And Dorfs chat away, and if you're significantly a Fan Of Foo yourself then that's a community you can appreciate. And some massive-appeal games without an 'official' hub (or with lack of fan-friendliness, for one reason or another) might have one or more off-shoot communities spring up. And as some people seem to like a facetimey/IRCy social network which bay12 doesn't give, then maybe facetimey/IRCy Fans of DF have been set up (sounds like they have), whether or not they have attracted The Creator to their fold, etc.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 03:36:43 am »

(Written, but not posted, before mention of the Facebook place. I believe there are people here who might use Facebook, but I've not succumbed to that fad yet.)

It's the logical place for one to be. We have a ToadyOne actively posting here and while other places might well act as a "come and look at this, %randomonlineperson%, there's a thing called Dwarf Fortress, and there's maybe even a few of us here on %randomonlineforum% who can chat about it, get you interested, informed and eventually hooked" but like I wouldn't expect there to be too much technical/IC Nationstates chatter outside of the official Nationstates board, etc, the natural place for the core community of DF is here, everything else is just aforementioned gossip/bait/nerdgasming with an eye to putting it out there to various different other communities. It'd make no sense (whilst bay12forums in still existence) to make a full community hub on a Minecraft forum, or on usenet:comp.text.tex, or on Weibo.

Which is not to say that there aren't some subfora on places dedicated to Foo within which Fans Of Foo And Dorfs chat away, and if you're significantly a Fan Of Foo yourself then that's a community you can appreciate. And some massive-appeal games without an 'official' hub (or with lack of fan-friendliness, for one reason or another) might have one or more off-shoot communities spring up. And as some people seem to like a facetimey/IRCy social network which bay12 doesn't give, then maybe facetimey/IRCy Fans of DF have been set up (sounds like they have), whether or not they have attracted The Creator to their fold, etc.
Actually, that was more rhetorically directed at SpeardwarfErith's notion about 'the full extent of the community' which they did, after all, ask about. 

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 10:03:21 am »

As was mine. I was going by 'demographics' rather than 'territory'. I would consider various places other than here (like Facebook, but I hadn't read that mention at the time, and then the post stewed away awaiting due to having my hands full with other business) to be exclaves/oversees territories.

(I am biased by being primarily here (in DF terms) myself, of course, so maybe there's some great unknown land colonised by those disaffected/disappointed by Bay12's governance, or lack of it. I've seen it happen for other places.)

What might be a better question than "where else are DF people?" (to which the answer is liable to be closer to "everywhere!" than "nowhere else", but that's not useful) is "I'm on platform Foo, and I wonder if anybody else is" (assuming you can't just start up your own thread/subredit/group on there, instead). But I was probably reading it wrong anyway.

Michigan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 10:17:56 pm »