Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: [44.12] Musket-Mod v0.5c: Experimental Wall Breaching  (Read 40817 times)

zaporozhets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[44.12] Musket-Mod v0.5c: Experimental Wall Breaching
« on: August 14, 2018, 08:29:07 pm »

Musket-Mod v0.5c

Adds a choice of muskets and pistols (and bayonetted versions), blunderbusses and blunderbuss "dragon" pistols, hand mortars, rocket launchers, cannons (with normal cannon balls, explosive shells and chemical cannisters), rapid-fire automuskets and lightning guns to the human civilization, which are all conveniently craftable at your fortress.
It's a WIP, so I'd appreciate it if you let me know what you think or if you find any bugs (I've not done too much testing, but everything seemed to work properly).

Each weapon category can be enabled or disabled ingame with a menu run from DFhack.

Muskets

Crafting
         To make a musket or a pistol at the gunsmith's workshop, you will need a steel bar, a log, any mechanism and fuel.
         Pistols aren't as good as muskets, but are one handed so can be used with a shield.
      Ammunition
         The bullets themselves are crafted at the gunsmith's workshop in lots of 50 using 1 potash and any type of metal bar.
         This means you must be careful about which stockpiles your ammunition forges take from, but allows you to experiment
         with different types of metal as ammunition or get rid of all that excess zinc and lead. REMEMBER TO SPECIFY THOSE STOCKPILES.
      Bayonets
         Bayonets simply require a steel bar and are both crafted and attached at the gunsmith's workshop. FIX BAYONETS!

Blunderbusses and Dragon Pistols

Crafting
         Blunderbusses and their miniature equivalents, dragon pistols, are produced in exactly the same manner as the normal musket and pistol.
      Ammunition
         Both of these weapons take ammunition referred to ingame as 'cartridges', with the reactions taking the same reagents as bullets,
         but producing only half as many rounds. The round will split into 4 pellets of shot upon firing, which will spread out in a haphazard manner.

Rocket Launchers

Rocket launchers now have WIP constructed wall and tree destruction:
f*ck nature!

Crafting
         Launchers are the same as muskets, but no wood and twice the steel and mechanisms, which must be made out of steel.
      Ammunition
         Rockets are much the same as bullets, but can only be made out of steel, need steel mechanism for the fuze and take 3 bars of potash
         to produce only 1 rocket (because they're stupidly OP). Using these will start fires if your map is grassy, be careful!

Hand Mortars

pic coming soon

Crafting
         Mortars are halfway between muskets and launchers in both effect and construction, requiring two steel bars, a log and any one mechanism.
         Credits to MottledPetrel for the idea.
      Ammunition
         Grenades use a steel bar and mechanism, along with 2 bars of potash, to produce 5 grenades. They're much less powerful than rockets, but
         will still start forest fires if used in a grassy area.

Cannons

They're not quite custom siege engines, but they do the job. Pulpy!
cannons have been much improved since this gif, they're now mostly instantly deadly

Crafting
         Cannons require blocks and a pipe section.
      Ammunition
         Cannons are workshops that can fire any trap components (spiked balls, serrated discs and so on), but have 3 new types of ammunition: solid cannon balls,
         exploding shells and gas cannisters. Whatever you fire out a cannon, you'll need a bar of potash to make it shoot.
         Cannon balls simply require metal bars of any type.
         Explosive shells require steel bars, a mechanism for the fuze and a bar of potash for the explosion. Will start forest fires!
         Gas cannisters have been temporarily removed due to native venoms not being inhalable, making them useless. Currently being reworked.

Automuskets

this kills the crab

Crafting
         Same as a musket, but twice the amount of steel and mechanisms.
      Ammunition
         Fires normal musket bullets, but will chew threw them very quickly and with less accuracy than a musket.

Lightning Guns

UNLIMITED POWER!

Crafting
         Lightning guns are experimental weapons that are extremely deadly but can sometimes injure the user with little chance of recovery.
         Made out of a blunderbuss, 2 mechanisms and a copper bar at the Alchemist's Laboratory.
      Ammunition
         Each lightning bolt consumes 1 voltaic cell, also produced at the Laboratory from a copper bar and a zinc bar in lots of 50.

Credits (in alphabetical order, let me know if I've missed you out):
 expwnent
 Fleeting Frames
 Lethosor
 Michael_Almeida
 MottledPetrel
 PeridexisErrant
 Putnam
 Roses
 sponge
 squamous
 thefriendlyhacker
 Warmist
whose works and/or guidance served as a valuable reference.

big thanks to:
 Grimlocke
for many brilliant improvements and suggestions
 Jake
this mod is based on his excellent (and far more realistic) mod BPFA
 John Acar of juniorgeneral.org
 meph
 Vordak
for the use of their sprites.

special thanks to:
 toady
for creating DF

Link:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13964
This mod is heavily WIP, test at your own peril.

Changelog:
0.5c fixed blunderbuss errors and added WIP rocket launcher wall breaching
0.5b fixed some raw errors (thanks to DWARFFRAWD and Sver)
0.5  updated for Meph tileset V4.2
     added Alchemist's Laboratory and reimplemented chemical weapons
     added lightning gun
     added new ammo sprites and retouched weapon sprites
     improved cannon reactions (firer will now wait for target and fire at will), fixed targetting distance error and made rotation compatible with other mods with much assistance from Grimlocke
     merged weapon scripts preventing them tripping up over each other
     tweaked automusket to use regular bullets, lowered smoke amount and slightly increased accuracy
     increased number of blunderbuss pellets from 4 to 6
     slightly increased rocket explosion size and made flight path become unpredictable after 30 tiles of flight
0.4i updated for Meph tileset V.4
0.4h made cannonball more effective (thanks to Grimlocke)
     fixed automusket listener name error
0.4g tweaked cannon pathing algorithm to be more accurate
     rolled back settings manager changes due to arena mode scripts not firing
0.4f added automusket
     tweaked settings manager to try and lower overhead whilst retaining arena mode functionality
0.4d added cannon rotation, separate fire and load reactions at Grimlocke's suggestion, also native-like announcements
     added Vordak's cannon sprites
     added cave-in dust concussion effect to hand mortar grenades
     fixed blunderbuss ammo name error
     attempted to make normal cannonballs more deadly by increasing velocity & velocity multiplier
0.4c added blunderbuss and dragon pistol
0.4b moved reactions into appropriate workshop categories
0.4  added ingame customization menu letting users select which weapons appear in fortress mode
     added Vordak's weapon sprites
     added Gunsmith's workshop (sprite by Meph) so as to not gum up the metalsmith's menu with reactions.
     added flintlock pistols and bayonets
     added notification when cannon user cannot find valid target
     added new reaction to cannon to allow targetting of helpless domestic animals for test-firing
0.3c added gun carriage to cannon sprites and changed skill used by firearms to blowgun, as per Vordak's advice
0.3b added hand mortars at the request of MottledPetrel
0.3  initial release
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:46:30 pm by zaporozhets »

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: Musket-Mod v0.3
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 10:04:35 pm »

Please, make a hand mortar, it's my favorite black powder fire arm.

zaporozhets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Musket-Mod v0.3
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 04:32:35 am »

Please, make a hand mortar, it's my favorite black powder fire arm.

Added it.
This is the best I could do for the graphic, I'm no pixel artist by any means:

I'll update the OP with a gif and info at some point in the near future, I've made it a sort of intermediate between the musket and the launcher.
It has the muzzle smoke of the musket and a smaller impact explosion than the launcher, but grenades can be produced faster and with less cost than rockets. Still causes fires though.
Let me know what you think, I'm guessing there may be bugs due to me rushing it out because of a mistake in the readme I wanted gone.

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Musket-Mod v0.3b
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 06:07:29 am »

I think that for gunpowder and any new ranged weapons need to use the skill BLOWGUN - this will allow to draw graphics for rifledwarves, it will allow a clear distinction between different types of ranged military. Besides, dwarves (players) do not use blowguns.

Upd.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:54:22 am by Vordak »

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 09:51:38 am »

This is ridiculously cool. I am especially impressed by the rocket launcher and the smoke effects.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud: Hello Ago. Life is, in a word, death.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud stabs you in the lower body with his iron scimitar, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left kidney!
The iron scimitar has lodged firmly in the wound!

Battle Royale Mode: A DFHack Script

zaporozhets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 12:10:07 pm »

I think that for gunpowder and any new ranged weapons need to use the skill BLOWGUN - this will allow to draw graphics for rifledwarves, it will allow a clear distinction between different types of ranged military. Besides, dwarves (players) do not use blowguns.
Upd.

You make a good point, changed the skill used by handheld weapons to blowgun.
Your rifledwarf sprite is impressive, I don't suppose you have any musket item sprites you don't mind me using?
I'd be sure to credit you. Would be much better looking than me just mashing together stuff from metal slug.

This is ridiculously cool. I am especially impressed by the rocket launcher and the smoke effects.

I'm glad you like it! The handheld weapons use very simple scripts, I was surprised I hadn't seen anyone do it before.
The cannon was much more difficult for me to make, but everyone seems to like the rocket launcher the most. Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 12:53:22 pm »

I'm glad you like it! The handheld weapons use very simple scripts, I was surprised I hadn't seen anyone do it before.
The cannon was much more difficult for me to make, but everyone seems to like the rocket launcher the most. Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Heh, I just haven't had a chance to try the cannon out yet. I think the reason people haven't done this sort of thing before is because using a script adds more overhead to the mod, though imo the extra possibilities are definitely worth the complexity.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud stabs you in the lower body with his iron scimitar, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left kidney!

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Musket-Mod v0.3c
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 01:12:30 pm »

Your rifledwarf sprite is impressive, I don't suppose you have any musket item sprites you don't mind me using?
I'd be sure to credit you. Would be much better looking than me just mashing together stuff from metal slug.

It's just the sprite of your gun rotated by 45 degrees. Use if necessary, credit do not need.

I think portable rocket launchers are too much - in my opinion it is better to make it as a siege weapon - it's just a wish. Better it would be something like mortars.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:09:30 pm by Vordak »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 01:22:25 pm »

Why not a flamethrower?  Adding firebreath to the wielder shouldn't be too hard.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 03:15:34 pm »

Why not a flamethrower?  Adding firebreath to the wielder shouldn't be too hard.

The rocket launcher is everything you could ever hope for in a flamethrower, and more.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 07:21:59 pm »

Oooh, interesting. Especially like how you added smoke. I might try and adapt these scripts to my own mod in the future.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

zaporozhets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 05:53:34 am »

It's just the sprite of your gun rotated by 45 degrees. Use if necessary, credit do not need.

I think portable rocket launchers are too much - in my opinion it is better to make it as a siege weapon - it's just a wish. Better it would be something like mortars.

They're wonderful! Thank you.

You're right about the rocket launchers, I thought many times about making them fixed like the cannons. They were initially just made as an experiment, but when I expressed apprehension to the people I showed it to they were citing Congreve rockets and Chinese fire arrow launchers as to why they should stay in.

I couldn't show people that gif and then deny it to them, when I myself have been annoyed at other mod makers teasing and then never delivering.
If it makes people happy, I can ignore my feelings of wanting to maintain balance, plus the expense of each rocket, forest fires, melted goblinite and occasional friendly fire are at least some downsides to using it.

Eventually, I plan on making an installer with Rubble or mod-manager or something to let users choose what gets put ingame.

I did consider adding a flammenwerfer as a ranged weapon, but thought it would be impossible to ensure they get in range before firing it and scrapped the idea. I hadn't even considered using firebreath, I'll have a mess around and see. Thanks for the idea.

Oooh, interesting. Especially like how you added smoke. I might try and adapt these scripts to my own mod in the future.

I look forward to seeing what you get up to with them if you do. If you plan on using the cannon and have any difficulties with ripping chemical and explosive rounds out of the code, or whatever really, don't hesitate to ask. I didn't add many comments, you see.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 06:16:15 am »

You could make the distinctions i made in MasterworkDF: pistol, one handed, musket, two handed. Both in normal and in a bayonetted version.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zaporozhets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 11:34:40 am »

You could make the distinctions i made in MasterworkDF: pistol, one handed, musket, two handed. Both in normal and in a bayonetted version.

Yeah, I really like playing as the human civ in Masterwork, that's part of what made me want muzzle smoke in the first place.

The only reason I haven't added stuff like that yet is that the mod just adds all the reactions to the root of the metalsmith's forge menu for now (owing to my inability to make a satisfactory custom gunsmith workshop) and I was worried about cluttering it up with too many different-but-similar weapons. Same reason the musket reaction insists on steel rather than having separate reactions for each capable metal like in Masterwork.

I eventually hope to make it so barrels are made at the forge, stocks made at either the carpenter's or bowyer's and assembly done at the gunsmith's, where I'll have lots of room for different weapons (maybe in different categories if it's possible) and affixing bayonets and stuff. Make them much more labour-intensive to produce than crossbows.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 02:35:00 pm »

Well, well, a custom gunsmith you say?  8)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12