Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can Material Emission connected too occupation or syndrome?  (Read 388 times)

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can Material Emission connected too occupation or syndrome?
« on: August 15, 2018, 08:46:00 am »

Waiting for the magic release to continue to play DF is proving too hard a task and I can feel my body twitch from DF withdrawal. But I would love too make the world feel a little more magical even if it is basic. So I was wondering is there a way to make i.e "Sage" occupation be able to cast material emission such as fireballs and such? I don't want all my dwarves too go around throwing fireballs as too much of awesome makes it mundanematt. If not occupation is it possible too at least makes vampire syndrome gain this ability or necromancers?

want this so much

[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
      [CDI:ADV_NAME:Hurl fireball]
      [CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
      [CDI:FLOW:FIREBALL]
      [CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
      [CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:15]
      [CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:2]
      [CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:30]
   [CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
      [CDI:ADV_NAME:Spray jet of fire]
      [CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
      [CDI:FLOW:FIREJET]
      [CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
      [CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:5]
      [CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
      [CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:30]
   [FIREIMMUNE]

Thanks

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: Can Material Emission connected too occupation or syndrome?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 02:09:18 pm »

As far as I know, there's no way to link interactions to a profession or labor.  You can certainly give them to vampires, necromancers, or new secrets; I've got a 'fire sorcerer' in one of my mods, although I haven't encountered them often enough to be sure how well it works.  Be aware that if the secret can be recorded in books, and you get one of them in your library, it's likely that all of your dwarves will eventually read it and you'll end up with a fort full of wizards.  Also, I don't think FIREIMMUNE actually protects creatures from heat damage, so a wizard can still get into trouble by setting everything on fire.  It might work better to give them a battle transformation that makes them heatproof and gives them fire attacks.  I haven't tested it, but I think they'll use a transform interaction with no usage hint as soon as they enter combat.

If you want magic to be moderately uncommon at a fairly reliable level, your best option might be to give dwarves a rare 'gifted' caste that has innate magical powers.  They won't need training, but you can set the POP_RATIO tags to make them turn up about as often as you want.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.