Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Circus in a bottle  (Read 2036 times)

Furious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Circus in a bottle
« on: August 15, 2018, 06:12:29 pm »

I went looking for magma and somehow ended up hitting semi-molten rock first.  Did some exploitative digging and found not only the magma sea, but sweet sweet candy as well.
Dug into candy and immediately breached the circus.
I managed to seal if off before I lost more than two dwarves, but now I have a hallway full of FUN! that I just work around.

Is there any way to use this?  Maybe sacrifice a noble to dig down from above giving my pets access to a small pill box on the surface?
Could I use bridges to seal up the FUN! in said pill box and lower a bridge when invaders appear to fight my battles for me?
Or would that just make my problem worse?

Anyone try anything similar?
Wait ? Your fort is not half green half red regardless of the stone it's built in ? I'm learning something new every day.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Circus in a bottle
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 09:52:30 pm »

Weaponizing the circus will definitely lead to very large amounts of !!FUN!!. Once they're out of their bottle you'll never get them all back in.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 05:23:29 am »

Let your visiting monster slayers to fight then. That's what they came for, right? Ah, I wish it would be that easy.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Furious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 09:18:47 am »

I tried to herd all the visitors looking to exterminate monsters into an adjacent room to the FUN!, but didn’t realize you can’t organize them into squads. That set me back a bit.
Seems like the visitors only like the caverns. So much so that when a troll got past them into my fortress smelter room, they all just ignored it and went back into the caverns.
My hastily assembled squad of unarmored, empty handed warriors did a yeoman’s job handling the troll until I could find an especially brave dwarf to smelt some iron and make a sword to finally put it down.
I’m starting to think I’ll need to set up some sort of pit/tavern to drop those mighty warriors into the circus’ lap. 
Wait ? Your fort is not half green half red regardless of the stone it's built in ? I'm learning something new every day.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 12:39:02 pm »

If some of them are fleshy, you could set up a meat industry, as they're at least twice as big as elephants and fully mature at birth (iirc).

For fighting invaders with them, you could compromise and set up pillboxes with the ranged ones. Clearcut trees before you set the world on fire, though.

I'd be bit concerned about fps, though, and seal off the other end of the tunnel with a cavein.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 09:34:59 am »

Can demons reproduce?  I was under the impression they couldn't, and if not, they're only incidentally useful for meat.

In any case, building a drop trap to dump invaders into the pit with them should be entertaining if you can arrange it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 09:44:58 am »

Depends on the demon; genderless ones can't. Though even if you had a genderless butcherable demon species, there's an infinite number of them waiting beyond map edge, so can slaughter them with abandon.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 11:10:02 am »

Also note that some clowns are sapient, and some are not. You can't butcher sapient ones, as per normal, though I wonder if you can if you make them undead and then re-kill them?
I've definitely had camping clowns reproduce, so I'm pretty sure they can...

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 04:30:24 pm »

Whoa, I've set up a variety of systems for exploding clowns into piles of body parts, but never thought about using the meat. (DUH!!) You'd want to automate capture and separation of clowns into edible and inedible categories, I guess. Some of them being webslinging trapavoid makes that a bit harder.

Neat idea.

Furious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 09:35:32 am »

The FUN! can reproduce.  I'm waiting for all my petitioners to become citizens so I can march them into the madness.
I thought about the pill box idea, but so far despite locating adjacent to a goblin hold, I haven't had any invaders just yet.

https://imgur.com/a/ihz4elT

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 02:31:31 pm »

PS: The triplets are all pregnant with triplets.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 07:51:41 pm »

I'd be bit concerned about fps, though, and seal off the other end of the tunnel with a cavein.
Locked hatch works, too, but can be melted if you let fiery clowns pass through them.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 08:21:37 pm »

Those seem to be pretty common, but more importantly it's hard to build the hatch and then the wall(s) to make it indestructible when the path to the build site is already full of clowns.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 11:10:20 pm »

Those seem to be pretty common, but more importantly it's hard to build the hatch and then the wall(s) to make it indestructible when the path to the build site is already full of clowns.
It's really something that's better set up before the the clown car opens. It can still be useful for dealing with the additional clowns that wander in later, if you can survive the opening performance.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:12:41 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?