Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Add multi z-level rendering to the native game

(1/3) > >>

Russell.s:
My suggestion is to add multi z-level rendering to the native game. Currently a mod by Myfki (Text Will Be Text) allows this, and other features. Seeing multiple z-levels (with a 'shading' effect on the z-levels lower than currently viewed to simulate depth) adds significantly to the aesthetics of the game, without moving away from ASCII. It improves the spatial awareness of the player, and can be suitably limited to just a few z-levels if game performance is an issue.           

Not everyone is aware of mods or is confident in installing them. I feel like multi z-level rendering is worth adding into the vanilla game for the sake of greater immersion :).

[edit] to add more details: the mod shows the current z-level in full colour, and any z-levels below obscured by a slight shading on the tiles. The number of z-levels displayed below the current, as well as the colour and opacity of the shading on lower tiles, is changeable in a text file. It looks very neat!

DG:
Relevant http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30114.msg401304#msg401304

MrWiggles:
Ah, man. Fotkercheif. Havent seen them forever.

crazyabe:
Completely unrelated- but according to the forum- Footkerchief was last on earlier This month, but their most recent post was in december of 2015. sorta interesting in my opinion, if simply from how often they come up in older threads...

KittyTac:

--- Quote from: crazyabe on August 16, 2018, 02:20:07 am ---Completely unrelated- but according to the forum- Footkerchief was last on earlier This month, but their most recent post was in december of 2015. sorta interesting in my opinion, if simply from how often they come up in older threads...

--- End quote ---
He lurks and waits to return. Maybe a bit like grisha5, actually.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version