Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

What are short and long-term memory categories?

(1/1)

Fleeting Frames:
Toady mentioned in devlog some time ago that he was comperemantalizing memory slots into categories.

Asking here, before I ask in fotf or something: What are those categories?

Tinnucorch:
Emotions are already grouped by colours according to the general nature of the emotion. Maybe memories also group this way based on the colour of the emotion they recall? Just pure speculation, though, but it seems coherent with the example Toady gave on the devlog in which dwarves will now only remember "the worst violent happening in a given stretch of time" (most violence related thoughts, if not all, are red coloured).

Fleeting Frames:
Hm. That would put pleasure near a fine trap and lust speaking with spouse in the same category, and also I only count 6 (pleasure, interest, disgust, confused, satisfied, afraid), plus would allow give same table to give thoughts of different categories to different dorfs.

I guess I'll have to ask.

Tinnucorch:
The eight slot thing seems to be previous to the changes implemented in 44.11 (if I'm not missing something). From the entry I already mentioned and regarding those changes:

"[...] and all memories have been grouped into categories now, so that memories from one category can't snatch up all the brain real estate (so they'll only remember the worst violent happening in a given stretch of time, rather than eight of them; this isn't ideal, but I'll save better memory clustering for when I have more time.)"

So as I understand it, now there isn't necessarily eight categories.

Fleeting Frames:
Hm, you're right that there aren't necessarily eight - I was thinking each slot would have memory category associated with it, but that need not be true. Six (colours) still can't work, as that'd leave two memory slots completely empty, but there can be more than eight.

Anyway, already made the post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version