Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Proof of clearing bandit camps  (Read 10642 times)

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Proof of clearing bandit camps
« on: August 17, 2018, 06:25:25 pm »

I've an adventuring man named Ulco Raneirum Injitasseg, a hearthperson of The Matched Fellowship, citizen of The Confederacy of Caves. Immediately starting out I snagged two companions and later travelling, one told me of Browncreams, a bandit camp. I've slew the bandits and returned to The Ochre Channels in Lighttrails where The Matched Fellowship is based. I spoke to the lord there but couldn't find where to relate my victory for the cause of The Matched Fellowship. Instead the lord is requesting another expedition to Browncreams to stop bandits. Are there simply more bandits that were wandering around when I cleared the place out?
_____
Actually, I may have completed that quest. It doesn't bring up specific responses, but I did the "give report" interaction, and now the bandits are clear from the "inquire of troubles" interaction.

How do I see the translation of my character's name? I don't see it on 'z' but I've seen it on another screen that I can't find. ***** Well, I found the cyclops my group wants me to murder, and I gentlemanly introduced myself beforehand. You:"My name is Ulco Knightwave the Undignified Dye. Praise be to Kamloc(god of lust in the form of man)." High-cheekbones cyclops: You are a dangerous animal. You are a pleasure to speak with, but now this stands between us." It's on!
_____
Yeah, bandits of Browncream coming up again. Those raskals need to stop being so brigandy.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:34:51 pm by Bob69Joe »

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
Re: Proof of clearing bandit camps
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 11:38:45 pm »

Once you deal with a quest, people still bring it up after it's been done, even if you turn in the quest and tell people about it.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 02:58:18 pm »

Once you deal with a quest, people still bring it up after it's been done, even if you turn in the quest and tell people about it.

Is it possible that there are people doing crimes in the name of the bandit group, and only after several weeks of no reports, because I thouroughly killed all of them that claim to be of that group, they'll stop coming up in topics? Should I claim their camp for myself?

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 04:39:05 pm »

As far as Im aware of, they will still be mentioned, but if you have mentioned to people that u've killed their leader, ect. they will bring it up, but when you ask about their location, they will say that their group was killed off by you.

Claiming it won't change much.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 05:19:10 pm »

As far as Im aware of, they will still be mentioned, but if you have mentioned to people that u've killed their leader, ect. they will bring it up, but when you ask about their location, they will say that their group was killed off by you.

What menu lets me claim to kill the leader? I've only seen the "performance - tell story of site" to recite the story of the murder of the bandits by me, but no-one realizes that I'm the guy who killed the bandits.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 06:59:19 pm »

You have to find the one where you killed the leader.  If you don't remember the leader's name, then you'll have to brag about all of them.  It's also possible that you killed the leader in a different location than the others.  So when telling a story, you might have told the story of  a site, but be cause the leader was two tiles outside of the site when you killed them, they are listed under the region.  Another way to communicate is to spread a rumour.  It's easiest to page backwards through the list.  When doing so, you will see some generic rumours that you had nothing to do with, and when they are finished, you will get your most recent encounters.  Just keep paging back until you notice it.

The other possible problem is that maybe you companion killed the leader.  In which case you can't take credit.

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 05:53:15 am »

What menu lets me claim to kill the leader? I've only seen the "performance - tell story of site" to recite the story of the murder of the bandits by me, but no-one realizes that I'm the guy who killed the bandits.
"bring up incident" - Toady really needs to do something with the UI on this one because it can be a grueling experience trying to find all the notable kills in your character's history - they're usually scattered in between ten million lines of "A BADGER ATTACKED YOU" (even though I think it means that a badger "entered combat" with you by fleeing immediately when it saw you)

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 05:13:49 pm »

I have dfhack so maybe that changes how it's organized but what I do is scroll from the bottom to the top and hold down the button until it gets past the "spread rumor about random crap" options and reaches "bring up thing that actually happened". Since it's listed from newest to oldest, the first incident you see when you scroll backwards like this should be your most recent kill. If you've done anything in the interim you'll have to scroll past that, but it should be quick to find if your prompt about reporting things. To make sure you're reporting the right kill, bring a trophy with you to check the name. End your foe with an axe strike to the head to behead them, or just butcher the corpse and take the skull. You can even store it on the pedestal in the mayor's room to remind you how much you've helped that site

Jack-22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 06:15:19 am »

I was a bit disappointed with the method that takes care of the quests. Nothing against who likes the way it is, but it seems to me as if something is missing. Thinking about it I created this utility:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=172544.0

And now I'm a happy adventure.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 09:58:39 pm »

I was a bit disappointed with the method that takes care of the quests. Nothing against who likes the way it is, but it seems to me as if something is missing. Thinking about it I created this utility:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=172544.0

And now I'm a happy adventure.

Thanks a ton! XD

Jack-22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 07:56:23 am »

Keep an eye on the updates. I'm always improving the utility and fixing bugs.

Casimirrush

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 06:29:18 pm »

My usual strategy for bandit leaders is to decapitate the leader and present his head to the questgiver. That usually ensures that my kill gets recognized. Be sure to kill him with the decapitation so keep an axe on you if you are do not primarily wield a cutting weapon.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 03:10:28 am »

My usual strategy for bandit leaders is to decapitate the leader and present his head to the questgiver. That usually ensures that my kill gets recognized. Be sure to kill him with the decapitation so keep an axe on you if you are do not primarily wield a cutting weapon.

Oh, that's the actual bug? They need to see a piece of the physical corpse to know that it happened and therefore register to themselves that you undertook the mission? That's kind of brutal but perfectly understandable to the AI, share this on the tracker immediately.

While this makes sense, the group should just collapse immediately without the leader and disband, when that entity no longer exists after being 'routed' by you i think they'd understand that a as a "quest-win".

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 02:55:33 pm »

I don't think I would consider this a bug, just telling someone about something you did, the people might think you are lying.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 05:22:05 pm »

ok so uhh from my studies on how folks remember events, it goes:

they don't when they tell you troubles, they only remember so when you retell them the event, which then they get a fresh copy of said event and react to that.
so if you say rescue a child then bring up the fact that the kid got kidnap(even though technically you rescue them) they will bring up the event that the person was kidnapped again.
this goes for dead folks as no one knows if they are really dead or not and react based on the info given to them, or if they seen the body. this also goes for if they seen the person before or know their name, as you kinda hope the person you're talking to had bad history with the person you murdered.
which makes fame a game of talking up yourself and talking up the folks you went and slaughtered, and talking up all the Bad stuff so it seems like it was justified for their death.
also talking up what type of creature they are as the folks you are talking to have lil to no bestiary knowledge and just hearing 'unknown creature murdered another unknown creature.' 
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: [1] 2