Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: An LCS Remake  (Read 96256 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: An LCS Remake
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2019, 03:54:13 am »

Can you post a copy of the output_log.txt and your save from the folder C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\LocalLow\Lazy Dog Software\LCS from after a crash? Also is it an actual hard crash to desktop?
I used the old workaround where I sent someone over to surrender to the cops, and then it ran properly.  It was a freeze, not a crash to desktop.

...Its strange how the game might use a different engine, but I swear the bugs are the same, lol.  Specifically, in this case the game seemed to have trouble processing the dead bodies, which tended to happen in the original LCS from time to time.

I'll remember to look that up in the future and post.

The Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2019, 12:52:23 am »

To be honest the way I'm handling base inventories (which includes dead bodies and hostages) isn't great and is prone to a lot of synchronization issues. I've done a re-write of the system to handle it better, but I haven't tested it much yet so I probably won't post a new build yet. I'm working on some general refactoring to try to simplify the game logic overall, although most of this isn't going to be visible from a player's perspective.
LCS Graphical Remake:

https://the-cheshire-cat.itch.io/lcs
Current progress: ~100%

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2019, 01:37:58 am »

Interesting. Are you eventually going to implement the features from the unofficial LCS 4.07.0 version?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2019, 02:57:12 pm »

To be honest the way I'm handling base inventories (which includes dead bodies and hostages) isn't great and is prone to a lot of synchronization issues. I've done a re-write of the system to handle it better, but I haven't tested it much yet so I probably won't post a new build yet. I'm working on some general refactoring to try to simplify the game logic overall, although most of this isn't going to be visible from a player's perspective.

Well, the original LCS had the same problems in several versions, so you're in good company.  It's obviously a tough area.

The Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2019, 11:21:42 pm »

Interesting. Are you eventually going to implement the features from the unofficial LCS 4.07.0 version?

I'd actually used 4.07.4 as my base for mechanics when building this version, so most of the complete features from that are in this version - I emphasize "complete" there because part of the nature of an open source project is there's a lot of half-finished cruft in there that people added over the years but ended up being abandoned, so it's technically accessible but doesn't actually work. So things like the Stalinist Crime Squad or the white house site aren't things I'm planning on adding to my version - although ideally I'd be able to get it into a state where someone could mod that stuff in if they wanted it.
LCS Graphical Remake:

The Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2019, 11:59:05 pm »

I just published a new build which should address some of the issues people have been having - I tracked an earlier save corruption issue to a bad item being placed in base inventories when you had sleepers snooping around and they send evidence to the homeless shelter. I've also changed up how base inventories work in general so there should be less problems related to them going forwards - these changes also apply to hostages and dead bodies.

Actually new in this build is sneak attacks, which I had stubs for ages but never actually got around to implementing. They work the same way they did in 4.07, where knife type items can be used to make a special high damage attack against enemy wisdom instead of dodge, and if it kills them, you won't trigger an alarm.
LCS Graphical Remake:

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2019, 12:16:38 am »

After looking through your code in more detail, I have come to appreciate the monumental task that it must have taken to make this. You basically rebuilt LCS from the ground up. Well done, Cheshire!

I am going to make a suggestion, though, and that is for more/better documentation. You'll notice in the original LCS the includes.h file not only lists all of the functions needed for the compiler, but also comments what they do, and which of the game's many .c files each one is contained in. Adding a similar file to your source would greatly aid any future coders seeking to update, improve, or otherwise modify this awesome piece of work that you've done.  :)

Bidyhackier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2019, 06:57:35 pm »

Not sure if a bug or intended, but it seems Liberal Teaching cant teach skills past the user Natural Stat
https://imgur.com/gallery/TILKQ7m

At this example, i got an Agent to train my liberals in urban warfare. then i checked the LCS Wiki(that i am aware is outdaded). it said you had to train the Teacher in Teaching till his level was at least 2 levels inferior to the skill you want trained. the guy had dodge at 9, so i trained him to teaching 7 via college courses. then i set him off to teach, money was being spent at the classes... then it stopped. the training stopped at level 5 and i was wondering why. then i noticed it was because my founder actual stat for agility, without factoring in his boosts from liberal rank, was 5.
lol why is patience the key characteristic to defeating an elephant? I can just imagine years of psychological torture and mind games until one of you just takes their own life.

The Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2019, 08:13:14 pm »

That sounds like it's a bug - I found a few other spots where I was accidentally using the base value of the stat when I'd meant to use the modified value as well. The wiki info might not always 100% match the way it works in my version since it's based on the original release, but for the most part I tried to match mechanics 1:1.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 08:17:11 pm by The Cheshire Cat »
LCS Graphical Remake:

Bidyhackier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2019, 10:38:34 pm »

i am also having a serious problem with the Supreme court. its already blue, with 6 chairs occupied by liberals(blue) and 3 by arch conservatives, yet they usually approve conservative laws 8-1, and tend to not approve liberal laws, i have no idea of why. i would have won the game already if they did'nt set back the agenda all the time
lol why is patience the key characteristic to defeating an elephant? I can just imagine years of psychological torture and mind games until one of you just takes their own life.

The Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2019, 10:44:14 pm »

Generally the way that the supreme court works is that they will vote to move laws towards their preferred alignment. This means that moderate liberals will actually vote with the conservatives if a law is at L+. For a supreme court that pushes all laws to elite liberal, they need to be majority elite liberal themselves.
LCS Graphical Remake:

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2019, 07:17:45 pm »

I'm getting an error trying to build the game, as follows:

Code: [Select]
/Users/[my home directory]/Documents/LCS material/Cheshire Cat's LCS remake/LCS.CSharp.csproj(11,11): Error MSB4226: The imported project "/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.18.1/lib/mono/xbuild/SyntaxTree/UnityVS/2015/UnityVS.CSharp.targets" was not found. Also, tried to find "SyntaxTree/UnityVS/2015/UnityVS.CSharp.targets" in the fallback search path(s) for $(MSBuildExtensionsPath) - "/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/" and "/Applications/Visual Studio.app/Contents/Resources/lib/monodevelop/AddIns/docker/MonoDevelop.Docker/MSbuild" . These search paths are defined in "/Users/[my home directory]/Library/Caches/VisualStudio/8.0/MSBuild/1426_1/MonoDevelop.MSBuildBuilder.exe.config". Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk in one of the search paths. (MSB4226) (LCS.CSharp)

(Note: I have replaced the name of my home directory)

The Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2019, 07:32:12 pm »

It looks like you might be missing the Unity libraries for visual studio (or you have them but they aren't enabled) - you have to set it up to work with it: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/cross-platform/getting-started-with-visual-studio-tools-for-unity?view=vs-2019
LCS Graphical Remake:

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2019, 11:57:54 am »

I installed Unity and I still get the same error. I am trying to compile from within Visual Studio, however. How do I open up the project in Unity?

The Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2019, 03:14:50 pm »

Ah, yeah, just trying to open up the project in VS won't work because it needs to hook in to the editor. The way Unity is set up is kind of weird - VS is used to WRITE the code but doesn't actually build it, the editor will do that. What you want to do is unzip all the project files into their own folder, then through the launcher, choose "open" or "add" (depends on what version of the launcher you have) and go to that folder. It will import the project into the editor and then from the editor you can edit the code via the Assets/Open C# Project menu.
LCS Graphical Remake:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8