Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can i change raws in an active save?  (Read 3271 times)

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
can i change raws in an active save?
« on: July 26, 2018, 07:36:25 pm »

sorry if this question has been asked before, but i had trouble finding it, i am trying to change some raws, adding the child tag to some of my current cavern and other creatures that are being caught in my cages, my question is can i change the raws on a current save, basically look at what i have caught and if they dont have child can i go in and make it so they have children? i save my game and log out completely of df then i change the raw settings, so far nothing seems different. do i need to change all the raws and actually gen a new world?

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: can i change raws in an active save?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 10:38:58 pm »

The save folder for that save has a copy of the raws inside of it. So if you want to change the files for just that world without actually changing every world after that, edit the raws inside that save file and then leave the current embark. Though i doubt this works with stuff like ore gen

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 01:59:24 am »

so if you mean leave the current embark that means i must abandon the current map? i know i can reclaim the fortress, but with undread galore it would take alot of cleaning up to do. i am assuming this means that the edited raws only work with a new embark or a new reclaim fortress?

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 12:51:23 pm »

Within the raws included in a savefile, you may edit an existing entity (an entity is a civilized race, creature, reaction, substance, tool, et cetera).

I do not know if you can create entities.

You may also use DFHack to make a great many changes.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 02:59:16 pm »

If you edit any information that the game uses at world generation time -- this includes much if not all of what goes on in the entity files -- you have to generate a new world for it to take effect. 

For example, you can change things like the specific details of reactions, but you can't add new allowed reactions to an entity.

You original question was about changing the details of creatures -- i think this will work (but I'm not sure).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 03:02:26 pm by smakemupagus »