Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Sound cues

(1/1)

eerr:
I propose Toady start implementing sound-cues.

Aka the ability to play a short sound bit when certain events happen.
If you, Toady, don't want to find or buy stock sound files I'm sure someone can fill them in for you.

*humanoid fights
*hooved animal fights
*scream
*grass/sand rustle
*humanoid gasp

*traders talking
*on artifact creation

These cues can be filled-in by players, adding audio files
scream1
scream2

ect

Dwarf Fortress really lacks in the sound department! Your game are incredibly compelling while silent.

Shonai_Dweller:
Have you tried Soundsense? It plays sounds (which players can customize as they like) in response to events in the Dwarf Fortress gamelog. Think it's windows only though.

Like with graphics, I imagine any sound improvements implemented by Toady will be along the lines of 'improvements to make life easier for sound modders' as opposed to actually creating sound effects for the game.

A native system which players can plug their own sounds into, like the current graphics system, would be a great addition.

Bumber:

--- Quote from: Shonai_Dweller on August 18, 2018, 08:20:34 pm ---Have you tried Soundsense? It plays sounds (which players can customize as they like) in response to events in the Dwarf Fortress gamelog. Think it's windows only though.

--- End quote ---
SoundCenSe, at least, is multi-platform.

Shonai_Dweller:

--- Quote from: Bumber on August 18, 2018, 09:31:53 pm ---
--- Quote from: Shonai_Dweller on August 18, 2018, 08:20:34 pm ---Have you tried Soundsense? It plays sounds (which players can customize as they like) in response to events in the Dwarf Fortress gamelog. Think it's windows only though.

--- End quote ---
SoundCenSe, at least, is multi-platform.

--- End quote ---
Oh, yes, forgot about that one.
Still the suggestion is good. Some native support for sound effects would be nice.

lethosor:
Soundsense is written in Java and has always been cross-platform. SoundCenSe, on the other hand, is written in C# and was Windows-only for a while - I think people have managed to get it running on other platforms, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version