Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Mountain of Failiure: a succession game for "noobs"  (Read 8224 times)

Simon_science

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Mountain of Failiure: a succession game for "noobs"
« on: August 19, 2018, 08:23:14 pm »

Seeing as last update to the previous attempt at a "noob" freindly succession game has not seen an update in a few weeks, I have decided to go ahead and do one myself. Now, for a more nuanced description of what this is, this is a Dwarf Fortress succession game made for the people that would like to try a succession game but dont think they know the game enough to be on par with other "forumites" who do a lot of this kind of thing. I personally feel like "noob" is too harsh of a term, but its good for advertisement so i'll keep it in the title  ;D. This is officially for Novices. As a bare minimum, please be familiar with most of the *very basics* of DF, ergo what you learn when you read the wiki guide. Now we should get into world generation and such shall we?

Just because this is for novices dosent mean i'll go easy on world generation though! All about that !!FUN!!

World Settings:
Medium world size
Very short history
High amount of civilisations
High amount of sites
Very high amount of beast
High natural savagery
Frequent minerals

Sil Som, The Plane of Oracles

So beforehand I wanted to name the post after the generated name for the fort. but then something struck me as odd:
A single purple prick in the middle of the wilderness. I know Purple is DANGERZONE, but I decided to cursor over to it and I saw the name:
"The Mountain Of Failiure"

... This is too perfect of a name for this to pass up on. This is the site! I wont embark yet- i'll let the council of Overseers decide where when we get to that. Other then the fact that the mountains are haunted, the site looks pretty nice: most biomes have no aquifer and metal both deep and shallow.
Lastly, some ground rules:
1: Time per overseer is 2 in game years in one irl week. You can stop earlier if you want.
2: No atomsmashing enemies
3: No using Adamantine untill we breach HFS (and even if we do, will probably impose restrictions on its usage)

Overseer Turn order for round 1:
1: Xavreon
2: Simon_Science
3: Staalo
4: TBE
5: Edelveiss
6: Saladman

Overseer Update Posts!

Some of this is subject to change of course. Sign up though comments! otherwise, I dont think I got much else to say for now.
 ;D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:22:49 am by Simon_science »

TBExtent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Mountain of Failiure: a succession game for "noobs"
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 08:44:30 pm »

Sign me up!

Edelveiss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 09:41:11 pm »

I'm in!
Ok, i'm bad in fortress mode and even survive for 2 years in an evil biome will be a challenge, but i'll try to do my best!

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 10:17:49 pm »

Please sign me up, I would love to give this an earnest try. I've never played in an Evil biome, much less Evil Mountain, especially with that much savagery. I am dearly looking forward to this!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 12:05:03 am »

I'd really like to get my hands dirty with this succession game thing. Sign me up for a turn!
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 04:26:53 am »

There is already two not-noobs here, so i'll pass. PTW.  :P

Simon_science

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 05:05:50 am »

Sign me up!
Sure thing!

I'm in!
Ok, i'm bad in fortress mode and even survive for 2 years in an evil biome will be a challenge, but i'll try to do my best!
Welcome to the team Overseer!

Please sign me up, I would love to give this an earnest try. I've never played in an Evil biome, much less Evil Mountain, especially with that much savagery. I am dearly looking forward to this!
Youre' signed up mate!

I'd really like to get my hands dirty with this succession game thing. Sign me up for a turn!
You got it!  :D

:D, This is nice! A few notes btw:
- I wont be the first Overseer. I'm going second (if thats ok lol), I think the most expirienced of us should get us started lol. I'll try to get a group chat off the ground for the Overseers so we can decide an order of Succession.
- I suggest that the location of the fort is in the river valley between the two evil mountains
- I also suggest that, since this is noob themed, we could just use "embark now!"  ;D
- finally, I will limit this to 7 "slots" of overseers, and we will start when we have 4... oh we have 4! welp we will start when its organised lol :p

Basil ii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 05:09:29 am »

Well this will be !!FUN!!.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 12:10:10 am »

Just updating this to let you guys know the game's started, and I was chosen to head us up 'cause I have a bit of experience with starting forts (just not in evil biomes, so this will be !!fun!! ^_^). I wasn't able to make any kind of update 'cause Bay 12 was undergoing maintenance yesterday ("yesterday" being as of like 15 minutes ago from the time of this post, lol). I'll see about making a real post soon to tell you all how things are going at Fort Letmosber ("Cobaltearthen").

The_Saladman

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here to eat plant piss beer and shit out seeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 04:37:14 am »

I'd like to sign up, Hopefully I won't burn it down!

Simon_science

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 05:13:34 am »

I'd like to sign up, Hopefully I won't burn it down!

Welcome to the team Saladman!

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 09:13:46 pm »

Journal of Xvareon

1st Slate, 5, Mid-Spring

We have arrived. I wish I had the preceding pages of this account, but unfortunately, those got lost from my quire en route to this point. That is the price of trekking through evil, slug-infested swamps just to get this far, I suppose; some sedge-dwelling critter must have taken my sheets to build its nest from. Thankfully, it was not a total loss, as I still have plenty of blank pages left. It's only fitting, I suppose, for the situation we find ourselves in.

I'll explain. As best I can, at any rate. We are a long-distance exploration crew that was tapped to survey a spot to build a new outpost. Standard fare, really; but plenty of room for excitement along the way. Ours was built in from the start; because we're encamped right on the outskirts of what is rumored to be Goblin territory. Every dwarf worth his beard knows these kinds of places are cursed. Some of my friends have come back from truly terrifying lands, telling stories about 'grass' in the shape of eyestalks, and many strange and evil creatures who are friend only to our vilest enemies. So, we are striking deep into the heart of enemy territory. This should serve as plentiful explanation if you come to wonder why, if indeed, this account suddenly cuts off. Unless another gremlin finally stole the rest of my vellum to chew on.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Much to our (pleasant) surprise, though, the area we chose to put ourselves up in seems... rather tame. Normal, even. We saw a few ravens casting about, though... some truly gigantic ones. The ominous shadows they cast on the ground at our feet send shivers down our spines. Still, we have a good, solid mountain here; good rock, and good ore, as reported by our team's miner. Limonite -- always a good sign, for any proper Dwarven hold needs proper metal -- sticking out of the earth in bright clumps. We put the wagon, and our animals under a clump of dense-boughed trees, in the hopes it might offer some protection, if not from the claws then at least the eyes of those menacing black birds. I do not trust this place yet, no matter how much my comrades may think we are blessed to find it.

It didn't take long for my fears to be proven right.

Dark, blood-red clouds of soot and smoke are coming up over the mountain, even as I write this. They cast everything within them in an eerie black shadow, obscuring what might be happening in their depths. Mercifully, the first cloud we witnessed came nowhere near our location; it was as if the rocks sapped its strength, taking it apart even as it tried to roll down the slopes. I remember hearing about things like this from our scouts, though they didn't always take the form of smoke; this just seems to be our particular locale's brand of curse. Still, we must live with it. And to do that, we need shelter.

16th Slate, Mid-Spring

Scarce are the times I can find to write, with how busy we've been taking apart the wagon and moving all of our supplies. We are a mess. I will admit that. While we were able to dig out a serviceable... yet extremely dirty... hole for us to take refuge in, I fear the reality of our situation is beginning to settle in for some of my fellows. Going on a long-range patrol into the wilderness is one thing, but here, our duty is to start an outpost, and that means we have to put down very deep, very sturdy roots.*

(* - May Armok forgive me for such an Elvish term; they were the only friendly faces we've seen for the past week, after coming onto this forsaken peninsula and moving straight into the Goblins' lands)

This means that many of us have had to take up different professions. I am secure enough with my architectural expertise and talent for masonry; but Reg Netheral, our craftsdwarf and jeweler, needed a crash course in carpentry on the spot. Thankfully, we have expertise among us in that regard. Good woman that she is, Ber Dorenamug happily set up a second work area for her, and soon the two of them were hard at work getting a log blockhouse ready to at least hide the fact that we were living in a literal hole in the ground.

Ber can be a ruthless taskmaster when she sets her mind to it. Because we all wound up pitching in to lay the logs and set up the roof. But I can hardly complain, since we need that kind of determination in the face of those foreboding clouds of red smoke. I will continue my account when I can; it's getting very dark in here now that the roof is almost finished, and I'll need to find a source of light for inside our humble cave home in any case. Hopefully, we won't have to sleep in communal beds surrounded by silt and clay for long.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 09:51:07 pm »

The Journal of Xvareon

The roof is finally over our heads! The wooden one, anyhow; I'm almost certain I heard Reg and Ber trading jabs in the general southeasterly direction of the Elvish haven we passed on the way here, standing atop the solid mass of chopped-up almond, cherry, and pear wood logs. Clearly they'd had one too many mugs of the good stuff. We all called them back inside to share some of our cook Erush's inspired dishes, fresh from the local woods.

Seems our dinner came not a moment too soon. One of those infernal clouds billowed out over the hills; from the northeast, this time. And it came close.

In the short term, I think we're plenty safe from the giant ravens flocking about for now, as long as we're careful and go out in pairs so no one gets surprised and snatched up. Long term... these clouds are the real issue. A solid log wall and a bolted hatch in the roof should keep the bulk of it out -- despite the objections of a few of my comrades who prefer good rock to flimsy trees, bless them all -- but we still need an entrance, and just a door isn't going to cut it.

Pride. All I feel is... just pure, overwhelming pride. I haven't had many chances to really show off my masonry skills in this little hovel of ours, since we've built much of our furniture and constructions out of wood. Our carpenter's been getting much of the praise, so much so that I almost feel like we're divided into two teams; carpenters and woodcutters on one, masons and miners on the other. And now I've scored a point for the miner team. A big, bold, golden point.

Our miners didn't take long to discover that our location sits right on top of some natural gold deposits, left untouched until now. This naturally caused all of us to practically salivate with the thought that we might find even more of the stuff; but I was more concerned with what we had just found, and how to use it in a functional sense, rather than decorative. Well, the gold has so far come in very large boulders hauled up from below us, festooned with the stuff like glittering gems; that last gave our worthy jeweler some wonderful ideas, but I will get to that later.

I decided to take the boulders filled with gold, and, forgoing the long process of rendering them into metal bars, simply cut the rocks as they stood, gold and all, into blocks. Then I set them all together, and, in a feat of inspiration, fashioned a large, working drawbridge with a bit of bauxite for a lever to guard the entrance to our base. Yes, you did read that right; our main bridge is made out of raw gold.* It definitely made me feel like King of the Mountainhomes for a day!

Barely a few days after I finished up the bridge, we had a very pleasant surprise indeed:  Our first true visitor.

None of us had any idea there was a human settlement anywhere near our location. Seems they have evaded the notice of the goblins, for now; they're entrenched right along the seas to the northwest, in a cozy farming community. One of their number apparently got wind of our presence -- which I'm not surprised by, seeing how unused this land is to the grace of Dwarvish hands, making our very presence a true jewel among scrabble and rocks -- and came to see what the fuss was about. In true mountain hospitality, we shared what we had of our drink (she took a particular liking to proper Dwarven Ale, which she may very well be the first of her kind to try), and she told us what she knew of her people. They call themselves "The Nation of Exaltation"; we discerned the names of only two major settlements, "Speakdweller" and "Bridgehush", plus what little we could of their local governments. I am also given to understand that since she heard the rumors about us and, likely against wisdom, decided to investigate, others may soon do so as well!

Excavation deep into the rocky layer of the mountainside is continuing apace. I have even taken up a pick myself to assist, both because we have little stone to work with anyway (since we've mostly dug through soil, and I ran out of gold ore days ago), and because I just want to feel useful in ways other than keeping an account of our progress. Fikod Ogalath, our trusty miner, is quite excited by this, and never ceases talking my ear off about how he will carve out and design bedrooms, corridors, a suitable living area; and, of course, workshops. I try and keep up like the good soldier I am, of course.

Our extra work carving out living spaces came not a moment too soon. To our profound and utter amazement, a party of good hardy Dwarves came up the side of the mountain today. Five of them in total! I truly hadn't expected any additional help would make it before the year was out; I see this as a testament to how much our superiors are investing in this expedition. Urist Thizdegel, Ustuth Emenshem, Rigoth Kekimnil, Reg Enseboslan, and Logem Gembishatis; these names make up the infusion of fresh blood into our fledgling colony. We had a good laugh at their dumbstruck faces when they saw the golden bridge leading into our mine; especially since they sheepishly admitted scoffing at the primitive wooden facade we'd built up around it. It is a bit of a shame they did not bring a wagonload of supplies with them, but--

I apologize. I was interrupted. They tell me that there will indeed be a caravan coming from the Mountainhomes, and very likely before the year is out, as well! Metal, fresh picks, fresh food and fine cheeses, home-made libations; everything a good Dwarf could ask for. We make some of that here, of course, but we have so few hands to spare we can hardly afford many luxuries. Until now, at least. My fellows are already putting our new migrants hard to work, especially with regards to moving our communal beds into the fresh new bedrooms me and Fikod are digging out.

Yet... I can't help but wonder. We've been noticed by the humans, and by our fellow dwarves. Why not the goblins, yet? Have they written this place off for being on the outskirts of such an evil land? I can only speculate; and help prepare a meager defense in case of attack. There is also the constant, looming threat of those fell crimson clouds coming over the mountain on a weekly basis. None of them have reached us so far, but every dwarf who goes outside has been warned to stay sharp. There's no telling what this place might have in store for us.

* - Funnily enough, I didn't even ask the mason to do this; he just took the native gold because we didn't have much other stone, and cut that into blocks on the spot.

NOTE: After discussion with the GM, I've decided to end my turn early, since I fear that I might be too good for this game. It's meant "for noobs/novices", after all. Since I'm only up to the first migrant wave and we are getting visitors, and are reasonably secure, I figure it's a good time. First trade caravan hasn't even shown up yet. Thus, I'm handing this off to the next guy in line. Good luck to them!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 09:57:06 pm by Xvareon »

Simon_science

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 07:35:41 am »

In the very far future, just a few generations before the reforging of the world by Armok, a dwarven historian discovers, deep within the catacombs of the mountainhomes a peculiar set of stone tablets.
+A fine set of stone tablets arranged as though it were a book. The title reads: Diary of "SimonScience" the Stonecrafter, during his time in office in Cobaltearthen.+

It took me awhile, but I finally convinced my brethren that we should all get a turn to run this place. The expedition leader gave in to our "Proposal" pretty quickly. The last thing you want in your colony is a group of angry revolutionaries.

Being the "leader" of this "uprising", I became the new de-facto Overseer. To prevent the establishement of certralised power, and start a republican tradition, I will not stay in office for too long. I will not waste this time in the seat of power though! Ever since I had arrived I had been planning a building project that I codenamed "W.H.I.P.V.I.N.E." (Acronym Pending). I sent the woodcutter to clear the trees in the area, Not before doing a quick engraving of the land before we built on it:

To make my intentions clear, I did not do that engraving to preserve the site's "Natural beauty", that would be elvish of me! I simply want to revel in my - and my fellow dwarve's - accomplishement when it is done. To see just how much the land will change after the external structure of project WHIPVINE is done.

I ordered the mason begin construction on dolomite blocks and decided to finish my quota of rock pots I was given by the previous Overseer. I sent the miners to make the slopes of the outcropping of WHIPVINE too steep to walk up, and started some of its construction with the dolomite blocks. It is at this time that the Outpost Liaison arrived:

It was a relief to see some sign of Home, though I usually find this kind of formality too more annoying then anything. I let the previous overseer talk to them, and from what I could gather not much had happened in the world since we left. Otherwise, I decided we didint need to trade with them. We have plenty of food and booze, and we could craft anything we needed in a few hours.

I ordered the digging of a tunnel to the now-isolated outcropping. To ensure security though a roof walls and doors were installed at the exit of the stairs. More construction of Dolomite Block walls and fortifications were being done, when I was suddenly alerted that a cloud of infernal smoke had dirfted nearby! Panicking, I tried to find its location, but I had lost its trace.

It is at this point that I start worrying that we might run out of dolomite blocks. I had assumed the previous overseer had not dug down, but I was wrong, though the minimal amount of exploration done was...

Somewhat crude. I was used to building huge staircases into the rock with perpendicular lines, this method looked alien to me. Alas I am not here to judge, and from the brief survey I did, the digging there might have been slowed by aquifer, devil's kith and kin...

I knew from the area report done beforehand that the mountain itself should have no aquifer, so we dug in its direction before starting to go down. as I was doing the measurments I realised the door to the outside in our fortress was a bit Narrow. I allways preferred to make them twice as big and match up its width and the stairs, Though I now feel like I have some sort of obsession with geometric perfection. I am a stonecrafter after all. Finally, I told myself "Go big or go Mountainhome!" and made the staircase three times as wide as the door in both width and length.

PRAISE THE MINERS, RAW GOLD!

Construction continiued on WHIPVINE. Then, more migrants! .... Being chased by a cloud of INFERNAL SMOKE OH ARMOK MIGRANTS RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

The migrants thankfully did not get cought in that infernal smoke. It seems that the cloud dosent like this place somehow, and refuses to come too close... I think I have discerned a pattern though. I think the cloud is staying in the evil, and when it drifts into a regular place it turns back or dissolves into thin air.... How dose this smoke know if its in evil or not? Is it... alive? Regardless, even if they dont tend to venture to the fort they are terryfying:

Eventually, the outpost liaison left, and I held off managing the new arrivals untill the structure of Project WHIPVINE was complete. Soon after it was done:

I am proud of what we have accomplished, but there is still work to be done: this structure will need some utilities before it can fill its role. I just hope we dont get attacked before we have a military, though that should be fixed soon...

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 10:08:50 pm »

Preludes about stone records being found centuries later, acronyms and named projects? That makes me feel nostalgic (reminds me of the great early community fortresses like Boatmurdered and that rock mug obsessed place, as well as Battlefailed).
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4