Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Mountain of Failiure: a succession game for "noobs"  (Read 8141 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: The Mountain of Failiure: a succession game for "noobs"
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2018, 08:23:31 am »

Ah, I saw yellow in screenshots, thought "aha, sand". Guess that shows me :P

(Could still plant few suspended construction farm plots in cavern corners to see if they yield anything different, but they shouldn't)

TBExtent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2018, 04:59:55 pm »

Summer

These performers just don't stop coming. I've started declining their petitions on sight.

Hopefully giving Edzul some glass will calm her down. I've sent Staalo down to the trade depot to get some.

A craftsdwarf has come running up to me. Wants me to see some figurine he has made.

Commemorating the death of an annoying kobald. Quite why he thought this was worth disturbing me for is anyones guess.

It seems that the glass didn't help. Edzul was completely incoherent when we let her out. Wouldn't speak, wouldn't eat.

The miners are making a bit of progress, but nothing impressive.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2018, 05:11:25 pm »

Hah, Jladastildus was literally the only excitement in the whole neighbourhood for the past few years, so naturally they'll be making lots and lots of figurines and engravings about her. Here's hoping for at least a little bit more FUN coming this way.

You do remember there's that Forgotten Beast still locked up in the first cavern, right?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 05:15:55 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

TBExtent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2018, 06:18:31 pm »

We've had a bit of fun! Unfortunately I forgot to take many screenshots.

Autumn

We are under attack from a giant. I've ordered everyone into the fort. Unfortunately, it caught Xvareon, a stonecrafter called Reg Netheral and a marksdwarf called Likot Adilmozib next to the stream. Xvareon and Reg were both killed, but Likot managed to knock the giant unconscious, before bludgeoning it to death with a crossbow.

I've had a tomb made for the dead. Nothing fancy.

The miners have finally finished digging. We now have a chamber for magma storage. Now we just need to get the magma up. I've ordered minecarts made and tunnels dug down.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2018, 01:18:03 am »

"Ask for FUN and ye shall receive FUN."

Too bad about losing Xvareon, but on the bright side your engravers now have something else to work on past Jladastildus. Since this is such a young world, we're basically making history from scratch here.

I'm interested to see your minecart contraption. This is one of the deepest maps I have ever played so they are going to have to do quite some distance up from magma.

EDIT: had to load the save again to check: it's whopping 152 Z's from magma to the main fort! Wow.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 01:25:50 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

TBExtent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2018, 10:32:04 am »

Never done minecarts before, so I hope it works. Took at least two hours to designate the tracks.

Winter

No-one seems to know what the Brown Society is or what being the lord of it means.

Tracks have been dug down to magma.

Stockpiles have been made to store all of the stone from mining.

A visiting human was caught in a cloud of infernal smoke and became a zombie.
I ordered our military out to deal with them.

The zombie was killed, but not before fatally wounding one of the soldiers, Sibrek Monangineth.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2018, 11:30:13 am »

Let's see... I took a Legends snapshot before I started playing. According to it, The Brown Society is the site government of Raspjungles, a human hamlet on the other side of the world. Something must have happened to the former lady Emoth Ivysprings. Nothing moves faster than nobility in times of death.

And... well, now we finally know what the infernal smoke does. Let's hope it's not contagious.

Uhhh... welcome?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2018, 01:54:49 pm »

Two hours to desi...Next time maybe use a macro.

If you've never done minecarts before, it probably doesn't work - not at first try, anyway. Minecarts 'fail' at track designation mistakes pretty easily, and it is human to err.

It's smoke, so not contagious. If it was dust or something I'd suggest leaving out bolts to shoot enemies with in area.

TBExtent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2018, 05:53:52 pm »

I did think about using a macro, but decided that it would be cheating. I'm not sure what was going through my head at the time. Things are also now not in 100% chronological order.

Spring

I found a paper by an old engineer on some of the strange behaviour of minecarts. It makes very little sense, talking about quantum and teleportation, but it seems to have some useable designs. I've ordered one of them to be built for propelling carts up ramps at high speeds.

A weaponsmith called Erib Zithisinod has claimed a forge as her own, fighting off anyone who tries to use it. She has started working feverishly.

Oh. Very shiny, but completely useless.

You idiot! You can't hunt wombats if you are dead! Get back inside!

The tracks were made with impressive speed, so the only thing left to do is clear them of boulders. Unfortunately, at least a quarter of the fort is spending the whole time listening to poetry.

puterking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2018, 01:23:13 am »

Hit me up for a turn.

TBExtent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2018, 05:42:29 pm »

These updates are getting shorter and shorter. Winter will end up being two words.

Summer

Summer was rather uneventful. Built a few mechanisms to make sure that minecarts didn't get stuck under lava.
Then this happened.

Dropped 5 layers into the magma chamber. Seems to be ok. Will probably get infected though.

A rather boring amulet dedicated to another group that I haven't heard of.

I'll try to get the minecarts running during autumn.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2018, 09:23:43 pm »

Uh, I'm not sure quantum tunneling works on magma[833], as it tends to be converted into 2/7 magma on wall hit that leaves all objects at dead stop and 2/7 isn't an object. Thus I'd test first.

Cool idea however.

As dead horse as sticking artifact weapons into traps is, that battle axe is probably going to hit harder in a weapon trap.

Most Constructs? Sounds like something got lost in translation.

TBExtent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2018, 06:03:27 pm »

Autumn

Setting up waterwheels to power rollers.

Turns out I don't know how pressure works.

These turned up.

The minecarts should be good to go, as soon as I can persuade the dwarves to stop hauling rocks up and down the tracks.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2018, 11:43:54 pm »

Uh oh. How many drowned?

If the militia has been training all this time, it should now be able to take on those FBs, I think.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4