Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brass Knuckles  (Read 3298 times)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Brass Knuckles
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:47:39 pm »

If I were to create a brass knuckle style weapon, would it just be like a smaller mace with punching as the skill?

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: Brass Knuckles
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 08:52:54 pm »

It would only be a smaller mace if you willed it to be so?

I could whip up a quick brass knuckle for you if you want, but the only way it could end up being a smaller mace is if you took the values off of a mace and reduced them.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 08:58:18 pm »

There are two 'sizes' -- the SIZE (mass) of the weapon and the contact area associated with a particular attack.  Maybe, both are smaller, but if you reduce the contact area be sure to test. Blunt weapons with very small contact area can be very deadly because all the force gets applied in tiny spot.

You probably also reduce the velocity multiplier, which on a mace is sort of high (2000 iirc?) to simulate the leverage you get from the shaft.  You might want yours to be more like a dagger/sword thrust (1000 - 1250)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:02:53 pm »

Made the brass knuckles:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the reaction to obtain them, in adventurer mode:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 07:59:51 am »

remember only normal weapon skills will allow the AI to actually bring them for combat. Unless this is for adv. mode or want to arm your own militia/wrestlers. But offsite AI will never use GRASP_STRIKE weapons you could get away with using the PIKE skill, and renaming pikemen

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 09:41:36 pm »

I'm not sure the striking surface size is right, I think you want it to be 10, like the warhammer.  And obviously, your brass knuckle should not be bigger than a warhammer. 

I made knuckle dusters for Furry Fortress, and they were pretty bad.  They would make an interesting side weapon, maybe in Adventure Mode, but nearly useless in Fortress Mode.  However, ant-people with chitin fists would sometimes do amazing acts of violence on a lucky hit, caving in skulls with their bare hands, so maybe some sort of interaction that turns your hands to metal would be more realistic or more useful. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 10:24:13 pm »

I'm not sure the striking surface size is right, I think you want it to be 10, like the warhammer.  And obviously, your brass knuckle should not be bigger than a warhammer.
Highly debatable - historical warhammers had heads quite a bit smaller than a fist. Example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lucas_Cranach_the_Younger_-_Prince_Elector_Moritz_of_Saxony_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 12:13:11 am »

Pretty epic necro post, Hugo :)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 12:21:09 am »

Actually, it got necro'd by a spammer but that post got deleted.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 12:29:36 am »

That explains why it was {new} when I replied lol. OOPs necro by proxy I guess

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 06:45:45 pm »

Highly debatable - historical warhammers had heads quite a bit smaller than a fist. Example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lucas_Cranach_the_Younger_-_Prince_Elector_Moritz_of_Saxony_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Yeah, but an actual brass knuckle is very thin, and you don't strike with the entire surface, to my knowledge:  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1d/Brass_knuckles.jpg
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 06:56:14 pm »

technically if you punch someone you're not using your whole hand (contact wise, it's normally your index and middle knuckle, so that'd be like 20% of your hand?)

So you're right that you'd not use the whole duster when punching, and dusters are already like 30% the size of a hand (probably less, rough guessing) and likewise you'd probably only hit with about 10-15% of the duster however weapon SIZE is a funky thing as it's SIZE / 10 in reality, and the CONTACT_SIZE for attacks are not in perc but in cm2 (and since they are blunt, pen_size is moot)

so you'd have to figure what the largest area a real duster could cover in cm2 and tack that into the contact. Giving them decent prep and recovery time and already having a low contact should make them fairly reliable

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 07:53:16 pm »

Exactly, I think a strike surface of 40 is more like a cartoon boxing glove.  I think giving a knuckle duster the same contact surface as Lucas Cranach's warhammer is probably fine, which I think is 10.  If you wanted to simulate the type of knuckle dusters with points instead of blunt edges, you could just make the contact surface 1 like a whip. 

I'm actually not sure if the speed between swinging a sword and punching with your knuckle duster would be all that different.  Like, a knuckle duster could probably make quick jab attacks faster than a sword could, but you wouldn't do much damage with that kind of attack.  For a full power punch, I think you'd be exerting as much energy as you would for a sword swing.  (more or less the same with hammers and axes too, I've seen HEMA youtubers express that historically accurate hafted weapons aren't very clumsy)  But if you prefer more of a video game balance instead of reality, then I could see knuckle dusters having less damage but more speed. 

Also fun fact from the wikipedia page, US Civil War soldiers were concerned about fighting hand-to-hand, so they either bought brass or iron knuckle dusters or they made their own by melting bullets.  Wouldnae that be cool for a dwarf? 

I'm glad you necro'd this topic though, I'm having fun.  Hopefully someone who tries to mod in their own knuckle dusters 20 years from now will search this topic and know what to do. 

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 09:01:02 pm »

Initial contact of a punch, with or without "brass", may be just a couple of knuckles, but there will be flexing and pivoting that'll spread the force over more area.

Looking at the pommel strikes in the raws most are size 50 or 100 with only the dagger being smaller at 20. Comparatively, a "cartoon boxing glove" must be more than any of those and even a real boxing glove somewhat larger.