Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110]

Author Topic: DotA 2 - the ultimate thread  (Read 141906 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: DotA 2 - the ultimate thread
« Reply #1635 on: June 26, 2018, 03:45:10 pm »

One of the guys no one can play, I love it.

DOTA has much more specialized and extreme heroes that most MOBAs.  Its all about finding the hero(s) that you do really well with.  Can I ask what lane you played Warlock in and if you had a laning partner?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: June 26, 2018, 04:12:13 pm »

Duo lane at the top on radiant side.  I had a buddy but I forget who he was.  Some flavor of melee hero.  We were against two enemies, one was lifestealer, I remember.  I basically played support.

Most of my strategy consisted of possibly the laziest lane zoning imaginable by putting shadow words on enemies.  Super long DoT they can't really do much about.  Other than that I threw golums at any major fight if it was available.  If we won the fight and the golum was still alive (it usually outlived me) I'd just send it to punch the nearest tower or bop creeps to reach the tower.  Seemed pretty foolproof to me.

There was tinker doing that thing where he hugs the west border of the map behind the forest and spams his robot march.  I knew summoning the golum nukes whatever trees are in the way, so I just used him to wipe the trees away so my team could teach that tinker a lesson.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: June 26, 2018, 05:40:05 pm »

Nice, that's a pretty good way to use warlock.

I wouldn't underestimate his slow.  If you drop it dead center on an enemy and they don't immediately walk out, their speed can drop to 16% of normal.  For your viewing pleasure.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: June 27, 2018, 01:28:04 pm »

I always used it when enemies were already running away.  So they would immediately walk out.

In that vid they used it more as a fight initiator.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: July 07, 2018, 12:27:58 am »

My last hitting ability is pretty damn demoralizing.  Last game for the first 10 minutes I had maybe 1 creep killed a minute, ended with only 9k net worth.  I'd hit the jungle but it pays terribly (so you just fall behind slower) and most of the time its apparently enemy warded to hell and is just a trap.

I just do so much better playing CC heavy supports.  Last few good games had me piloting Lion or Shadow Shaman.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: July 08, 2018, 10:30:25 am »

^you can practice last hitting with bots, in fact make a custom game with no bots and try to last hit safelane without pushing creeps to the enemy tower

The more I play this patch the more I value bounty runes.  I’m still pinging the time and picking them up at 30+ minutes.  Its like ganking a player that doesn’t fight back. Every time my team gets 3 at the start it seems like we win.  Its 40 gold per player at the start IIRC, so stealing one is a 400 gold swing.  And as time goes on it gets WAY more than 40.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 12:48:29 am by EnigmaticHat »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: July 08, 2018, 05:58:31 pm »

I watched a video today, mutation mode match with pocket towers and fast spawning runes.  He'd just towered up both western bounties and camped them to ensure his team always got 3 of 4 runes.  He was under experienced like hell but his team had a massive gold advantage the whole game.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: July 09, 2018, 03:36:09 am »

My last hitting ability is pretty damn demoralizing.  Last game for the first 10 minutes I had maybe 1 creep killed a minute, ended with only 9k net worth.  I'd hit the jungle but it pays terribly (so you just fall behind slower) and most of the time its apparently enemy warded to hell and is just a trap.

I just do so much better playing CC heavy supports.  Last few good games had me piloting Lion or Shadow Shaman.
Yeah, last hitting is one of the most important parts of the game. Its significantly less important as a support that isn't going to be taking any of the farm but even then you still need to last hit to deny in your lane.
Like EnigmaticHat says, it would be worth your time to actively practice last hitting if you want to improve at the game. Of course, I never did any real last hitting practice and just spent all my dota time playing instead of improving my own game so take my advice with a grain of salt.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: July 09, 2018, 01:55:17 pm »

I tried out the last hit trainer built into the game.  Its a little too basic, but I got a silver score and about half of the creeps in total.

I also had this game where I played safe lane Tiny and did really well.  I tried my best in the laning phase and came out with about 26 last hits in the first ten minutes of the match.  I ended with 133 CS (11 denies) in the end but that's a bit inflated as I spent a good bit of the end game split pushing the remaining towers.  Its about 480 GPM which is apparently the highest I ever scored.

Match was a bit of a roll though.  Ursa kinda went out of control like Ursa basically always does.  It was pretty easy to win our lane, SB really didn't seem to know how to play SB.  He never roamed like you usually do with that hero and was a bit of an easy target in general.  Probably should have skipped Midas and just built Echo Sabre faster, it didn't really help me in any way.  I could have built it first instead of Mana Boots, but I was having mana issues anyway and I figured I should solve that first.  Midas seems like a bad first item anyway since it gives no stats.  Like I said it was a rolly game anyway so my item build wasn't super critical anyway.  I at least remembered to use the Mana Boots active to secure a kill, so that was nice.

I need to change settings to "right click forces attack" or whatever it is.  I keep pressing Q instead of A and wasting abilities/mana.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: July 17, 2018, 08:49:45 pm »

Just had the most bizarre game.

Me: Anyone mind if I roam as Riki?
Carry, who already has a support in his lane: go right ahead

*cut to 10 seconds before the game starts*
Centaur Warrunner: Please let me and [Zues] go top

So, ah, yeah.  That's the story of how I farmed (well, leached) 3 levels as Riki holding down mid against a sniper and then played a roaming support.  No one took over for me...we still won.
You'll notice how I have a very low GPM and a very high XPM?  That's because I spent some quality time standing next to the enemy troll and/or sniper while they farmed ancients.  Silently stealing XP.  It was a weird game, I think their Sven started flaming his teammates when they lost their first teamfight and that's how we stayed in the game.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: July 17, 2018, 11:10:24 pm »

What is that Sven
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: July 17, 2018, 11:12:09 pm »

He walked up to our fountain at one point and let us kill him.  But he seemed to be actually playing the game before and after that... IDK man, if you want to troll commit to doing it.

Edit: The game also included my sickest escape ever... walk past a sentry, get chased by 4 people, dusted, stunned.  Blink strink onto a golem, use my ult for half a second to dodge sniper's ult, then TP out.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:15:29 pm by EnigmaticHat »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: August 24, 2018, 01:05:51 pm »

Someone firstpicked sniper.  My team responded with: Clockwerk (me), Huskar, Riki, and Storm Spirit.  It wasn't pretty.

Edit:  Apparently you can now see your entire history of commends and reports.  I thought people were abusive towards supports back in the day but apparently I've only been reported twice.  Once for communications abuse and one for ability abuse.  I imagine that's from the time before I learned restraint with Winter Wyvern's E.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 01:09:15 am by EnigmaticHat »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: August 25, 2018, 02:12:06 am »

Someone firstpicked sniper.  My team responded with: Clockwerk (me), Huskar, Riki, and Storm Spirit.  It wasn't pretty.

Edit:  Apparently you can now see your entire history of commends and reports.  I thought people were abusive towards supports back in the day but apparently I've only been reported twice.  Once for communications abuse and one for ability abuse.  I imagine that's from the time before I learned restraint with Winter Wyvern's E.
Duh, second link tries to give me my own statistics.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: August 25, 2018, 01:25:11 pm »

Yeah, I know.  I don't think you can see other people's (short of taking a screenshot).
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110]