Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are vampire cults still in the game?  (Read 3327 times)

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
Are vampire cults still in the game?
« on: August 22, 2018, 10:34:50 am »

I haven't seen a single vampire cult. Ever. (I see VERY few vampires in the game that aren't my character/people I turned though, that might be the reason). But the wiki says vampire cults DO exist.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Are vampire cults still in the game?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 05:25:59 pm »

I think they are. A while back in the current version I was looking around a world in Legends Viewer, and came across a human religion that was "dedicated to the worship of Name McName [a human vampire] as a god."

I, however, have not actually *seen* a cult in-game since .34. There never was much too them, though; just some random peasants who would stand around the lord's hall and attack you if you called out the vamp.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 01:32:30 am »

Not sure if that's what you mean, but in 43 I ran into something that I'd describe as a vampire cult. They lived in catacombs in a human town, there was one goblin vampire who had a title like leader or something and the catacombs were full of his followers (who also seemed to respawn infinitely)
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 10:37:57 am »

If his title was "leader/warlord/boss/chief etc." I'd expect he's just a criminal leader; his being a vampire would just be incidental.

Actual vampire cults, at least back in the day, were populated with ordinary peasants - farmers, fishermen, smiths and the like - not with soldiers. So if any of his followers had weapons, again I'd say crime boss.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 12:24:16 pm »

I don't remember the details, but Legends Viewer displays his title as "Master".  The group is described as "a collection of outcasts of goblins"
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 12:45:17 am »

I have encountered a vampire cult, but only once, and a few years ago at that; somewhere between 40.24 and 43.05. I was in hut in a hamlet, I outed a vamp, and his followers revealed themselves. They were clearly identified as cultists.

It seems probable that the vampire purges introduced in 42.04 are responsible for the current paucity of cults.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

hertggf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 01:25:20 pm »

Yeah the vampire purges are really overboard.  Even in large worlds there are only a handful living vampires at any one time because they get purged so fast.
I really wish the likelihood of a purge happening was a configurable parameter.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 09:59:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure they're real, just incredibly rare. It's been a few versions since I last saw one. I think the vampire becoming a dictator might help them get the cult established.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 12:48:18 pm »

I will post a question here, instead of starting a new thread.

So, I didn't know that Vamp Cults were a thing before i read this thread, and the wiki really doesn't say much about them, so I hoped you guys new a little more. questions are these:

Can you have your own vamp cult in adv mode? Maybe not just by playing adv mode, but making an adventurer/vampire, retire him, play the world in fort mode for some years and then come back?

just how much of this vamp/werebeast stuff is beeing simulated post wg anyways?

and can i get vamp cults in fort mode? either a new one or by immigration?

(yeah, sry, i know i said "a question", the other ones just sort of.... happened.)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 10:37:15 am »

Can you have your own vamp cult in adv mode? Maybe not just by playing adv mode, but making an adventurer/vampire, retire him, play the world in fort mode for some years and then come back?
Retired adventurers should do normal histfig stuff, so starting a cult shouldn't be outside the realm of possibility.

Dunno exactly, but new vampires and werebeasts can be created in both adventurer mode and fortress mode when sapients topple statues in temples. Werebeasts already attacked settlements post-wg before this, and I don't think there has been any more changes to them.

I'm not sure, but this should become apparent with the next update, internal network investigations and all. They should be rare either way, but it's possible they are currently just way to secretive and hidden to the played to be enjoyed fully.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 10:46:56 am »

thx man. In regards to post wg stuff, do hist figs gain skill when outside your fort? so, say i play a world for 50-100 years (theoretically speaking), would a vampire get increased skills during that time?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 09:01:44 pm »

I will post a question here, instead of starting a new thread.

So, I didn't know that Vamp Cults were a thing before i read this thread, and the wiki really doesn't say much about them, so I hoped you guys new a little more. questions are these:

(yeah, sry, i know i said "a question", the other ones just sort of.... happened.)

I thought i would pop on here and confirm they still exist, in my 2025 year old large region there was a queen who was a vampire who i called out and killed, her "recruit cultists" kept chasing me down and ambushing me when I traveled after it, so yes they are in the game, and they are more persistent then before and it it was quite fun having to kill a cultist every so often after that. They were very persistent. They even attacked a town i was staying at the tavern in, (which was quite far from the place the vampire was originally) (they died immediately but it was cool).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 09:05:12 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 09:35:33 pm »

Incidents like the above should become even cooler (not to mention more common) in the next release. If you thought vampire cults were bad, just wait until the criminal king of the dwarves is sending assassins and rogue mercenary bands after you, all just because you happened upon just a bit too much information regarding his plot to steal the artifact shoe belonging to your local lord. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 09:37:13 pm »

Incidents like the above should become even cooler (not to mention more common) in the next release. If you thought vampire cults were bad, just wait until the criminal king of the dwarves is sending assassins and rogue mercenary bands after you, all just because you happened upon just a bit too much information regarding his plot to steal the artifact shoe belonging to your local lord. :P
Yeah, it should be awesome.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 08:38:46 am »

Thx Untrustedlife! I so hope they stay in after all the villain stuff. I kinda have something planned with them for the big wait ;)