Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Republic: A Discord Based Succession Game (with a side of Democracy)  (Read 2878 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

The Dwarven Republic

So I'm starting a new Succession game using Discord as a base. The kicker is, its a democratic Succession Game, so alot of madness is expected to ensue. The "Constitution" of the Republic is found on the Discord itself, but feel free to inquire anything here if you're unsure of joining.

Here's the Discord Link

The players will post their updates here for the benefit of those who aren't apart of the Discord, but be aware that all the dorfings and lore will take place in the Discord itself.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:29:37 am by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile

Just posting here so I can keep an eye on this thread. Already apart of the Discord.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

Journal of Ryukan, 14 Granite, 748

Since the dawn of recorded history, the dwarves have been ruled by the King in the Mountainhome.  Well I say no more. Many called me a buffoon for daring to speak out against the oppression of my people, most called me traitor. For my efforts, me and 7 of my colleagues  were banished from the Mountainhomes and sent out into the wilderness. For 6 months we have traveled the land, going place to place looking for an area to claim as our own.

We finally found it today. At the base of a small mountain range in the Fed Jungles. Initial prospects look good and as we stop the wagons for the last time and gaze up at the peaks that will soon shelter us, I can not help but imagine the future we will delve out here. Our new system of government where no one dwarf wields absolute power.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Our supplies have dwindled over the months, but we still have plenty to sustain us until we can delve secure lodgings, ere the wolves get hungry. I look at my 7 companions, fellow believers in my ideology. Together we will show those Nobles in the Mountainhomes just how wrong they were to send us away.

Spoiler: The Seven (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Starting Supplies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Freecrypt (click to show/hide)

As the sun rises on our first day here, we begin to organize our supplies and I order StringLord to begin digging out a small shelter for us in the Mountainside. I order a storeroom and a small Dorm dug out first. I also order Iridium to begin chopping down some trees to turn into early furniture.

Spoiler: First Delvings (click to show/hide)

As StringLord digs, he informs us that we have instantly struck Tetrahedrite. While not as sweet as Hematite, this does guarantee us some early Silver to smelt and trade with the Fall Caravan. Perhaps if people back home hear of this, we might gain some public attention and some migrants.

With a Carpentry and Masonry Workshop set up and the Front Doors installed, this place is slowly becoming home. I also told StringLord to begin digging south after he finishes the storeroom so we can begin farming as soon as possible.

After a few days on the site, I begin to focus on Defense. while StringLord still works towards the South towards the soft clay we'll use for farming, I order Blues to begin crafting Blocks to use in building a short perimeter wall. While in no way an actual defense against anything larger than a squad, it should serve us well enough in these first few months.

I thought I was seeing things to be honest, but after hearing the whispers and seeing the two slip away from the group for minutes on end, it can only be that Senshuken and Faker Fan Girl have found a love for each other. Normally I'd condemn leaving one's job to go slack off, but given the circumstances, I don't blame the 2 honestly.... I wonder if the first kid will be a boy or girl? I bet the lads have a secret pool going on for it already...

Late Spring

As Spring moves towards its end, the small delvings we've made are really starting to come together. We have a small farm area mined out a bit to the south, we have a small perimeter wall built and a draw bridge in the works. We are currently working on creating a small Dinning room for our group, being smoothed by StringLord as we speak.

To reinforce our food stocks, I order Faker FanGirl to go out and forge from the immediate surroundings. She tells me there are a few edible plants, mostly Garlic and Onions.

A Bit Later that Day

I was informed by a few of the lads that Faker Fan Girl was in fact, not a girl. I am shocked by this revelation, but I guess there was not much I could do, given the name and the lack of a beard. I swear, I'll never understand this generation....

The first Plump Helmets were harvested today. The lads groaned at the sight of the infamous purple mushrooms, but we all know the significance of the first harvest here. We have Food and ways to replenish the food, but more importantly, we have a source of booze now. Faker FanGirl (Who was sporting a full beard today for some reason) claims she knows how to brew which elicited cheers from the lads.

I've never seen the Lads put something up so fast...
Spoiler: The Still (click to show/hide)

Summer

After we got the basic Necessities dealt with, I orders String to begin work on a massive storage Hall. It'll be able to store all of our current crap and also the crap of future leaders yet to come. I hear some grumbling today on how it's been 3 months and still no democracy, I tell the lads to calm it down, we're still small, so I'm still in charge. They grumble but get back to work on the Hall.

I received report of a small group heading this way. I ordered the gate closed and everyone inside. However, before we could shut the gate, we were greeted by hails from our fellow dwarves of the Tall Iron. We received them warmly and we learned that they had been banished here as well shortly after we had. I smiled and told them that all were welcome here.

After many months of digging and working, we can finally feel the shift in the wind. The Cool air blows from the North, signaling an end to the warm seasons.

- * - * - * -

Well, that's the first half of my update. The second half is on the Discord and I'll be putting it up here later today.The biggest development so far was the revelation that FFG was in fact a guy and caused many questions to be raised XD

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

Journal of Ryukan

We have many new faces amongst us. Together we have managed to create a very well appointed home for ourselves out here in the wilds.

The Fort has progressed along nicely, the new workshop area just south of the Dining hall will allow us to move some of our industry inside. Across from there I have planned a small statue garden for those who wish for someplace to meditate, I think I'll designate it as a Temple.

The Storage Hall is coming along nicely, we've already started storing our goods and furniture in there. We have also completely finished moving all our supplies indoors.

All in all, I think we've done good for ourselves for now. This coming spring however, I plan on instituting new policies that will transform us into a true Republic... or maybe something else. Not having anyone telling me what to do is getting really nice.

Later I receive word that a Caravan has been spotted. While I greatly mistrust these servants of the Crown, I do admit we could benefit from limited trade. I order a few gems cut and a few stone crafts made

Mostly Leather products for Exports, tho a few items are doable for us

After that exchange, we managed to haggle a bit of food from the traders. It wasn;t much just some meat and surface vegetables
After that, we haven't long to unload our new food before we spot another train of refugees. They are welcomed into our fort with open arms, though our housing situation can no longer be ignored. We only have 8 Bedrooms and a dorm for over 20 Dwarves. Knowing how delicate Dwarven minds are, I proceed to draft up new plans for some housing projects. This takes away Dorf power from the Temple, but priorities

I take up my new design with String. He informed me that "I was out of my mind" and that if this was truly a thing that'd it'd probably take my entire remainder of my term as President to finish. I honestly weighed my options. There were more glorious things to focus on that would make my tenure memorable, but I decided to indeed focus on the housing situation. After asking what the two large halls on the sides were, I explained that they were going to be Dining Halls. String rolled his eyes and muttered something about he wasn;t gonna get any sleep for a year. I ignored him and issued the orders

Later that Day

"... what is this?"

It's the new production area!

"There is no feasible way we can get this and the Residential Area done before your term is up"

Not if its just you and Sarvesh, no.

"What?"

I'm issuing an order for as many Copper Picks to be crafted as possible. We have enough food to last, for now, we dig.

"Sir! You're going to draft the entire population for this project?! That's the tyranny we just tried to escape from!"

Yes, but drastic measures must be taken. We Will Finish this!

Journal of Ryukan, Late Autumn

A stonecrafter just suddenly starts staring blankly at me today.

Lad runs to a Station, kicks another guy clean out and begins rambling about forgotten Empires and Awakening Gods and whatnot

After nabbing 2 nearby boulders, he sets to work

As I walk through the fort, I am greeted by the sight of my Dwarves smoothing away and mining away at the projects. I ignore the pointed leers at me, because I know what this is for and they will thank me later

Armok Damnit, someone has gotten it into their head to vandalize the place in order to win the supposed "election" that the peasants are whispering about.

Apparently the Vandal wants something to do with coins, I'll be sure to stuff the coins down his throat if he touches my walls again

Late Winter

Well, it is done. We finished both the Residential Project and the Industrial Project. There's a bit of sand in the south-eastern portion of the Residences, but who cares, now to force the peasants to smooth the place.

I also keep hearing the "Election" thing more and more lately. Apparently there's an underground sect named the "Republicans" who see it fit to impugn my good name. Ryukan the Tyrant they call me. Well I'll show them, I picked a couple of dim-witted peasants to be my spies, I'll root them out and force them to hard labor, for my own glory! Mwahahahaha- ack, ow, that's harder than it looks....

In other news, the above ground world looks eerily beautiful, with the red clay mixed with the white snow.

Ah, Spring is in the air finally. I have made so much progress on the housing and Industry. I'm proud of what I've accomplished here. I think a new palace would be in order for me- hold on one second Journal. There appears to be a commotion outside and some jerk keeps pounding on my door.

Later that Day

So, I'm a ghost now. Filthy peasants stormed my house and dragged me into the storehall. I tried calling for the guards, but turns out they were in on the whole conspiracy too! Soon, I am confronted by 5 of my friends who inform me that they have been elected as the new leadership of the fort. I laughed and said something along the lines of "Not while I'm still breathing"....

They took that statement very literally it seems. Well not that I care. I'm free to haunt that scumbag of a King back home, so I'm heading that way now. I'll drop this Diary in a ditch somewhere, maybe some shmuck will find it or maybe it'll deteriorate to nothingness. Oh well. This ghost is out, peace.

Skurkanas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

'ere we go. As the fortresses first elected "real" president, my turn will span the term of 2 years

For now, 749. In which the fortress sees great expansion, some tragedy and a fiery finale

Excerpt from the Journal of Skurkanas Borlonvabok, 1 Granite 749

Sod it. A small, remote outpost in the strangled land, shunned by most caravans due to some weird social experiment they have going on...when I arrived here last autumn I was sure this would be a good place to lay low for a while. And now those fools have elected me as their leader. Or "President", as they call it. Apparently nobody else wanted the job and I didn't pretend to be busy, fast enough.

I can see why though. This "dee-moe-crazy" thing they have going on here hasn't worked out too well for them. We already had to depose our first tyrant last winter, after he forced everyone to mine out and engrave grandiose rooms. One of the more cynically minded Engravers has chiseled away at the runes marking the name of our Fortress. What used to be "Freehold" now reads "Freecrypt".

I will do what I can to make sure we will see another winter. And that my head does not end up next to his.
Meanwhile, however, I am also our fortresses only smith - AND its chief medical dwarf. Ah well, flesh, metal, whats the difference.

On the surface, little betrays the delusions that led to the Hammering of Ryu the Tyrant. The Hold is small, modest even. A dorm, a few bedrooms...and an "office" that is just a chair and a table at the end of the hallway. Even now I hear the bookkeeper complaining about it
Beyond that, Freecrypt lies in a large, sandy valley at the edge of the jungle. Huge trees obscure the view to the south, but will ensure we won't run out of wood anytime soon. A nearby river will provide an easy source of water early on, but I loath the idea of having dwarves exposed to the elements on such a regular basis. We will have to find some water within the mountain, and soon
Despite her "office", our bookkeper has done a well enough job giving me an idea of our situation. Our population is still small, owing to the fact that in order to form this deemocrazy, the founders of this place decided to break ties to all of dwarvendom. There are several holds of "The Tall Irons" a few days travel to the west, but as far as our civilisation "The Mischievous Cup" goes, we are the only members
Manageable population numbers mean manageable resources though, so for now we are doing fine on food. Mining has been limited to carving out huge rooms, but has still yielded some economic stone that will be turned into silver and bronze as soon as we are able

25th Granite, 749

Some migrants have arrived. Some being an understatement, as there's 22 of them, more than doubling our fortress population. Among them are a legendary bowyer and our third legendary stonecrafter. I think it is time to fund a proper militia, and have some dwarves dying in the valley performing useful hunting and fishing jobs

2nd Felsite, 749

I guess no elves will arrive this year. Not that the absence of elves is usually cause of much grief for dwarves. However, we are visited by something much more sinister
a member of the hated Bourgeoisie!
He is accompanied by 2 human bards and...not much else. Maybe he isn't as pompous as the rest of its class and wants to genuinely explore deemocrazy? I order some members of our newfound militia to keep an eye on him

22nd Felsite, 749

We have breached the Cavern in the middle of a large cluster of olivine, a source of platinum! Money won't be much of an issue once we have mined it out. Sadly, iron still eludes us as our sedimentary layers contain large amounts of soil. For now, our militia has to make do with bronze armor and silver hammers

23rd Felsite, 749

Our luck holds. The miners report glitter of native gold on the far side of the lower caverns. It's not much yet, but it may herald other veins in the vicinity

20th Hematite, 749

Summer arrives and goes on rather uneventfully, as we mine out a large soil layer to bring the animals inside. That is, until a Kea steals our....equality?

Damn Patrikearchy

10th Malachite, 749

The ministers have - for Armok knows what reason - demanded that we start constructing houses outside of the fortress. They also want a nice lightshaft in the middle of the barracks. I consider debating them on this, but then remember the fate of my predecessor and don't.

However, today their folly was shown when a troll wandered in from the jungle. It engaged some of the masons outside and chased them into the fort. There was no time to raise the bridge without abandoning the masons, but at the same time it is hard to defend the perimeter since the previous administration elected to start building bedrooms and temples right behind the face of the mountain.

I guess our shields will have to be our walls. I order the militia to attack

11th Malachite, 749

The troll broke through the front doors easily and sent the civilians gathered inside into a frenzied panic, as the militia was rushing up the stairwell. One dwarf, however, did not flee. As the troll looked down the corridor, it noticed a single dwarf hunching on a low quality stone chair at the far end, nose buried deep into her books.

Ojima had enough of it. Almost 2 years of trying to make sense of the fortresses stocks from within this joke of an office. She spun around and let all her hate and frustration out on the troll, who was occupying itself with tearing apart a cheesemaker.

When the militia arrived, they found a badly bloodied troll retching and coughing, trying to shield itself from the enraged bookkeper. A couple crossbowbolts later, the problem was solved. And a new office was comissioned immediately

26th Galena, 749

The lower grazing grounds have been completed. Although I can't say I ever cared for animals much, at least the ones we have may survive now. We also remodelled the ground level to be more defensible and added a hospital, while moving the dining room and meeting areas below ground for good.

While the search for hematite continues, Senshuken, our militia commander and minister of war, is taken by a fey mood

1st Limestone, 749

Autumn has arrived. Summer did not see any caravans either. I hope at least the dwarves will not abandon us. As I ponder this, I hear that Senshuken has left the workshop:
He created an artifact microline cabinet. I sense a certain obsession with bureaucracy among Freecrypts dwarves, but who am I to judge. She gets the thing installed in her new office/bedroom, as she claims it as a family heirloom.

12th Limestone, 749

The Caravan from the nearby mountainhomes has arrived. Which is great news, as we were running low on a few essential supplies and still haven't found any iron ore
Over the last few weeks we have finished preliminary fortifications on the ground level. There are much safer forts than this, but at least the next troll walking through the front door won't be standing right in the middle of the dining room anymore

As I send for the Minister of Trade, to broker with the merchant, word reaches me she is busy getting inebriated

15th Limestone, 749

After sobering up, Erin has finally made her way up to the depot, to have a chat with the outpost liaison. Seeing our continuing shortage of military grade metal, I order a large batch of iron and steel, as well as weapons, animals and seeds
The people back at the mountainhomes however, seem to crave nothing more than......toys?
Their odd fetishes aside, I doubt that we will make much money being a toy factory. For now I shift our craftsdwarves attention towards scepters and gems

Having decided on imports and exports, they finally got to the matter of trade.
To my great disappointment, the caravan carries very little in terms of iron or steel. We trade the years' worth of crafts for all their assorted iron items, including toys (marked for smelting), several bags of cloth and leather and a bunch of animals.

I also secure this book for my personal collection, as it explores one of the central philosophical questions of dwarvendom

Sadly, all Erin does during the conversation is stare wide-eyed at all the stuff being loaded off in front of her eyes. Up until her election as minister of trade, the concept of money eluded her. The quick thinking merchant makes sure to rip her off as much as he can, claiming that he cannot fathom giving us all this stuff for "a couple craft bins" and a "meagre profit" of several thousand coins
Luckily however, our surplus of legendary masons hasn't just made office furniture.

In an attempt to secure the deal, Erin throws in Keeperesteems, a legendary mica madush, almost doubling our trade value. I don't mind it much if it gives us the iron. Place is swarming with bloody bards anyway
Now its the traders turn to stare wide eyed. They seal the deal over 2 mugs of our finest ale

20th Sandstone, 749

More migrants have arrived.
Other than that, autumn has been uneventful so far. The caravan has left, their goods have been hauled inside and our cooks are busying themselves preparing meals from the raw materials. We've also got our clothesmaker up to speed and are making some iron armor and weapons
As the swan song of the age of copper weapons however, I have created Ebal Zanor, the "Reverence of Heart". I will keep it close to me as a reminder of our humble beginnings

1st Moonstone, 749

Winter is coming has come. I guess it is time to go over the architectural changes to the fortress since my inauguration:

The storerooms have been expanded and turned into a proper workshop level. Most workshops had beds fitted in them, to minimise downtime. Freedom isn't free, and we require a strong economy

This level also contains the new offices for our mayor (who, despite not doing anything so far other than banning goods, requested the biggest office). The offices for the bookkeper and broker aren't too shabby either though, and all of them have been engraved by our finest engravers
Say what you will about dee-moe-crazy, but the symbol of our fledgeling civilisation is very dwarven

Further down we have the bedrooms, created by - and cause of the downfall of - Freecrypts first tyrant. Not much changes except finishing his work. The rooms have been outfitted and smoothed, while the heavy traffick areas have received engravings
A new stairwell has been installed by me, linking one of the dining rooms with the foodstocks above, shortening travel times.

Below that, we have what was meant to be the workshop level, but deemed much too small and requiring too much travel time to the storage. It now holds 2 masons and carpenters each, benefitting from close proximity to the central stairwell.
This being one of our few sedimentary layers, there was also an attempt to find some iron here, which proved very futile, very fast, as we mostly struck soil. I decided to turn this into an asset though by carving out a large cavern layer for our animals to graze in
Previously they'd been grazing near - and shitting all over - the depot.

Further below marks the current end of our fortresses inhabited areas. It holds the corpse, refuse and animal stockpiles as well as the assorted workshops

Below that, it's mostly prospecting until we reach the cavern layers. It has turned up some valuable gems,  silver, copper and gold, but no iron
Our main stairwell goes an astonishing 100 z levels deep already, still without any trace of lava

Coming back to the top of the fortress, we have the Barracks, a short way above the main gate
they have space to train combat and archery, as well as fortifications for shooting down onto besiegers. The fortifications are roofed. However, owing to the strange mandate of our ministers that dwarves require sunlight every once in a while, the training area is not. It is illuminated by a lightshaft that we are digging out all the way to the top of the gatehouse-fortress
I deem this a folly, but knowing the fate of our first president, I dare not object

20th Moonstone, 749

Tragedy has struck our fortress. While carving out the upper levels of the lightshaft, FakerFanGirl suddenly vanished, screaming. The edge she had been working on had collapsed, and she plummeted downwards, not just one z level, but breaking the floor of the entrance, the stockpile and even the bedrooms below
The floor of the masons workshop level finally stopped the fall, but the dwarves rushing to FakerFanGirls aid couldn't do anything to help her him anymore. Her his mangled corpse was beyond the skill of our medical dwarves.
The fortress has seen several births over the last months, but now it has seen its first (non voted upon) death. I could not let this break morale though. I ordered the first responders out, telling them not to loose a word about this, while grabbing a nearby novice cook - and actual woman - and telling her to put on FakerFangirls Dress. While I have no doubt that some dwarves close to her will notice, I hope this will at least nip any larger scandal in the bud

To ease my conscience, I order the construction of a grand crypt at one of the aboveground levels of the fortress, with coffins for our 7 founding dwarves, and space for heroes yet to come
(This also means our ministers will someday be buried near the sun they seem to love so much. What are they, elves?)

4th Opal, 749

Another troll. This time it's a cave troll, from below. It broke through the mica door sealing off our Olivine mines

Our militia rushed down the stairs to meet it head on, and their training pays off, as they straight up murdered it without breaking a sweat

18th Obsidian, 749

Terror has struck the fortress. This morning, one of the prospectors working on the main stairwell came running into the dining room, screaming. He was working near the caverns when he spotted a flicker of flame at the far end of the cavern. At first he thought it would be one of the hunters, getting lost in chase of a monster. However, it was no hunter - and our prospector soon became the hunted.
Amidst a cloud of fire and smoke a huge, amorphous monster emerged, made seemingly entirely of flame
I order the doors to the caves removed and sealed immediately

So far the beast is still at the far end of the cavern, and we might have time to train and equip our milita better

19th Obsidian, 749

No such luck. The beast seems to be moving straight towards the stairwell. And worse, where it goes, destruction follows. I followed the prospectors down there to see it with my own eyes, and it is literally a moving mass of fire, scorching its surroundings in a fiery cloud and leaving only ash behind. If this thing reaches the stairwell, the fortress might be doomed

It seems our best defense might lie in the offense. The militia is ordered in a desperate midnight dash down the stairwell, to meet the beast within the caverns

I call Senshuken, our militia commander, to draw up a plan of attack. Attacking what's essentially a walking smelter with melee weapons seems like a surefire death sentence, so our marksdwarves will take the lead, engaging the beast from as far as possible in the biggest open space we can find

Senshuken and the Hammerdwarves will stay behind, near the central stairwell. Should the marksdwarves fail in their task, they are prepared (and likely) to give their lives defending the way into the fortress. As the militia reaches its positions, hearing the cracking and burning of the caverns flora in the distance, all we can do is wait

20th Obsidian, 749

Triumph. I am writing this in our makeshift command post near the edge of the stairwell, leading into a fortress that is still very much alive. Mere hours ago, that seemed unlikely. As the beast moved over the ridge, instantly erupting into flames and spitting fireballs everywhere, I was sure this book would see no further entries. However, our marksdwarves kept their cool. They showered the forgotten beast with an absolute storm of arrows, staggering it, reloading, and firing again, even as the flames kept encroaching on them. To our luck it turned out, that within its fiery shell, the actual core of the beast was very fragile. And right as our beards were starting to singe and the Hammerdwarves around me were making prayers to Armok, it collapsed

The beast lies dead and the cavern remains a testament to the destruction it could have caused if it had managed to get into the fortress. The entire southeast of the caverns is a scorched, ashen wasteland
In fact, even now, much of the southern portions of the caves are still being destroyed by a slow avalanche of flames

26th Obsidian, 749

This is my last entry of 749. There has been a large festival to commemorate the survival of the fortress, as the heroic marksdwarves were welcomed triumphantly in the dining hall. This has emptied our booze stocks, but things could have been a lot worse.

Soon, the second year of my term will begin. I hope we will finally be able to find magma and - if Armok wills it - even Adamantine

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:10:31 pm by Skurkanas »

Skurkanas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

And my second year. In which we finally find Iron as well as plenty of !fun! uses for it, and Freecrypt threatens to fall back to the old ways

6th Granite, 750

Praise the miners! Our efforts on the prospecting layer bear fruit. Yesterday, StringLordInt hit a vein of hematite. And more have been uncovered since. Looks like we will no longer have to rely on smelting what little iron the caravan can give us

16th Granite, 750

In addition to the hematite layers, work on the aboveground fortress has yielded some limonite and even native platinum. We moved from having no iron whatsover, to having plenty of it. I hardly find the time to write these entries, between all the work at the forge.
I have ordered most of the now useless copper weaponry to be made into traps, one of which has already been (involuntarely) tested by a Kea, trying to steal some of our books

It narrowly evaded the swinging giant axeblade, just to be torn apart midflight by a bunch of rotating copper pickaxes
Speaking of books; work has begun on a library on the ground level, to hold our growing collection, as well as this Journal, eventually. My hope is that future generations will come here to read of our ascent to one of the great Mountainhomes - and not adventurers inquiring about our fall

3rd Slate, 750

A few days ago Kadol Ushirstakut, our Gemcutter, has been struck by a fey mood. He has locked himself into his workshop, and emerged today with a most curious item

It is an artifact throne cut entirely out of red pyrope, giving it an eery shine. Also, while we tend to call everything a dwarf sits on "throne", this one really does the name justice. Already, I hear whispers of "blood throne!" in the hallways. I hope this doesn't give anybody the wrong ideas. A democracy has little use for artifacts such as this...

14th Slade, 750

Work continues as usual, i'd like to say, if it wasn't for a strange shift in the fortresses atmosphere I can't quite put my finger on. I noticed people whispering behind my back when they think I can't hear. Talk is the fortress is cursed. That dee-moe-crazy is an experiment doomed to fail, and the creation of Bothonolon was a sign from Äkim, god of War and Death. They say our fortress needs a "strong hand" if it is to survive in these lands, and not "some random citizen" and a "bunch of incompetent, corrupt ministers"

So far I have dismissed this as the talk of a few who can't quite let go of the old ways. Most dwarves still seem to go about their daily lives as normal, and the fortress is doing fine on food and other stocks. I will have to talk to the mayor about this

18th Slade, 750

The talk with the mayor did little to ease my concerns. On the contrary. She smiled a winning smile as she dismissed most of them, but took the opportunity to request a larger office for herself, and a grand bedroom as well as a private dining area to go along with it. Not to put herself above the others, as in olden times, she claimed, but to encourage others to strive for public office.

I've heard it all before. Merit, divine mandate, offers of protection...the pretenses tyrants have used to mask their greed for generations. Things were meant to be different in Freecrypt!
As I told her this, her smile vanished, momentarily, just to be replaced by a smile of a very different kind.

"Skurkanas", she said. "As we both know, unlike you, I was elected mayor of this fortress not by a small academic circle of ministers, but by the people. They want my rule. And they shall have it. I leave you with two choices: accept the natural order of things, and I might even let you continue your little democratic charade, or oppose me and find yourself 'lost' in the caverns come morning"

At that point I knew she was right. I had been too focussed on my smithy to notice the writings on the wall. The chants of Äkims faithful, who make up more than half of the fortress. Even if I would win here and now, we would have a civil war on our hands that would destroy all we have built. We would become a crypt in more than just name.
After a few endless seconds, I nodded. She would have this victory, but I vow that I will try to restore the peoples rule as soon as I am able. As I made my way out of her office, she threw out a final insult:
"Oh and while you're on your way: Forge me a nice crown, will ya?"

And so, Freecrypt got its second tyrant. Of the most dangerous kind: a popular one.

20th Felsite, 750

I've spent most of the last month in my forge, working on weapons for the militia. The mayor held a celebrated speech about "national security", and how our dwarven heroes who defended the fortress once already, needed all the equipment we could provide to defend it once again. The crowd cheered, as did most of the militarydwarves, understandably. I might be running out of allies soon. Damn the Mayor and her silver tongue

23rd Felsite, 750

Today we got a chance to test our new weaponry, as the lookouts spotted a werecameleon outside.

Cunningly avoiding the fortress walls, it rushed to the river and decapitated two fisherdwarves, before the militia could catch up with it. Even then, it proved a formbidable foe, as strong as it was quick

To our luck, the beast suddenly paused in its onslaught and turned back into a human, begging for mercy. The hammerdwarves, seeing what it had just done to Astesh, showed none

4th Hematite, 750

Summer has arrived, and with it, an army

It has only been a few days since the werebeast attack and already, our militia is needed once more. It's a host of goblins, accompanied by.....an elf? What foul alliance is this? There were no elves in these lands as far as I'm aware. Or at least they weren't sending any caravans. And now they are sending soliders.

I've not yet been able to fully equip everyone with iron and steel, so I argue that we raise the gate and let the enemy to come to us. Our foodstocks are huge and we can easily survive a siege. However the mayor will have none of it. "Äkim doesn't look kindly on cowards. It's just a bunch of goblins!" she says, and orders the militia to charge. It's a small consolation that they give me a sideways glance at least, instead of obeying immediately, so salvaging what little authority I have left, I nod and order the civilians inside.

As the militia crosses the drawbridge to face the invaders, the mayor adresses the civilians inside.
In a passionate speech she highlights the strides we have made during her tenure and how now, in the face of the enemy, she needs our support once more. While some of the dwarves in the back grumble at her claims (after all it was me and the ministry who actually ran the fortress), and some even leave the room, the majority ends up cheering and reelecting her

Sensing that emotions are on her side, she lets an adjutante hand her a small ornate box, containing the crown:

Introducing it as a sign of "elected leadership" and vowing to pass it on to a "worthy sucessor", she puts it on her head. More dwarves walk out now, but at least half the room is cheering. Bloody fools.
I am still wondering how to salvage the situation, when word reaches me that the fighting has begun. And that some civilians didn't make it inside!

The fighting is short and bloody. Some of the goblins are well trained, and all of them are equipped with iron. They strike down 3 of our recruits, who just joined the military in spring, as well as a Hammerdwarf, before being cut down themselves. This is when we spot a different fight in the distance
FakerFangirl(2) is engaged in combat with the elf on the edge of the map. She's unarmed and he is beating her with a shiny object that I cannot quite make out. An artifact weapon? We need to act fast. I don't want to loose FakerFangirl again
leaving the last goblin, who has a cut spine and can hardly move, behind, the militia rushes towards the far off duel, and I rush there with them
The marksdwarves drop to their knees halfway and take aim

The elf is shot straight in the heart and collapses
The rest of us rushes to FakerFangirl(2). I reach her first, telling her that everything will be alright and we will get her to the infirmary as soon as possible, but she just smiles and reveals the bloody mess that used to be her chest. "I'm not gonna make it, Skurkanas. I saw what the mayor did inside and tried to run and get help, but that blasted treehugger caught up to me. Do me this last favor and don't let Freecrypt fall to tyranny again"

15th Hematite, 750

And with that, she died in my arms. I quickly concealed her face, telling the others that it was too bloodied. Somebody else will have to carry on the FFG name, but I will carry on her wish.

Over the next days, we were busy cleaning up the aftermath. A second hammerdwarf and our militia leader, StringlordInt were badly wounded during the fighting. And while the wounds of the Hammerdwarf proved too deep, I could at least save StringLord, with the help of a bone setter that had arrived last winter and will settle in as our new resident medical dwarf after me. I am too busy in the forge these days, and if recent events have shown us anything, it is that we need more equipment

Among the corpses we find an assortment of iron armor and weapons that I order to be made into goblinite. The elf, it turns out, was not carrying an artifact weapon after all, but a large, gem encrusted tome. He had battered FFG the old fashioned way but finished her off with it after she had made him drop his original weapon. It's pretty valuable and will be moved to the new library as a reminder of this battle

He was also carrying another book that I add to my private collection for personal reasons

Autumn, 750
 3rd Limestone, 750

A shearer has been struck by a secretive mood. He rushed up the stairwell, mumbling incoherently and claimed a craftsdwarf workshop. He's been in there for days now. I suppose we should bring him some food?

Meanwhile, the power structure of the fortress hangs in a delicate balance. The mayor and her supporters have been quiet lately, apparently content to let me do my job for once. Likewise, I have hesitated to make a move against her, knowing of her widespread support. For now, I will focus on improving the security of the fortress. We have yet to strike magma, even though the stairwell extends far over a hundred levels deep...

13th Limestone, 750

Another Caravan has arrived. This time from Shukardatan, a mountainhome further to the south. It is a massive trek, over 10 weagons, probably owing to the large amount of orders we made last year

As they make their way through the southern jungle, I order our finished goods and weapon bins to be brought forth. With the discovery of ample hematite, we can afford to get rid of the old copper and bronze weaponry. Erin makes an early showing this time, eager to do better than she did last year

15th Limestone, 750

The Caravan has finished unloading their goods, and Erin has met with the outpost liaison. We ask for metal bars still, but not as desperately, as well as leather, seeds and animals. I was never fond of animal husbandry and have neglected that part of the economy, but at least I can make sure that my successor will have enough breeding pairs to work with.

The dwarves of Shukardatan show a fine sense of irony as they request Crowns in the export agreement. Good. We have no use for those here!

Seeing as dwarves seem to be the only caravan we get, we trade the entirety of our crafts for their steel and iron, a lot of animal breeding pairs and a large supply of leather, cloth and seeds, the latter of which had been running out. Sadly, Erins skill is still less than stellar, and probably due to the size of the caravan we have to trade for a huge loss, to make it worth their while. No matter. With our abundance of legendary stonecrafters and the yet mostly untapped wealth of gold in the depths, we should be able to refill our goods stockpile in no time

26th Sandstone, 750

Not much has happened since the Caravan left. Work has begun on a presidential tomb, to hold myself and hopefully many sucessors

In general, construction on the aboveground gatehouse - which is starting to become sort of a dwarven skyscraper - is continuing at a slow pace. We have to wall around, and floor over most of the top levels and have been running out of nearby stone to do so

The Shearer is still locked in his workshop, scratching pictures of skeletons, leather and gems, all of which we have in abundance. I ordered the boneyard to be expanded, hoping that some corpse somewhere holds what he needs

I've also had an atom smasher installed down there, to dispose of excess items

8th Timber, 750

Over the past weeks i had become sure that the shearer would go mad, and had stationed some guards outside the door to cut the sad fool down to avoid civilian casualties. However, today, months after he withdrew from society, they reported that they heard crafting-noises from inside

Apparently the new bonepile did the trick

10th Timber, 750

He emerged after two days clutching an artifact shalerite figurine of our minister of war. Apparently Senshuken has a fan..?

Aboveground, work on the library has been mostly finished. We have plenty of microline bookcases as well as reading places for the intellectually inclined, and the center holds the artifact book we acquired from the invasion

But we still lack lava, and - if armok wills it - adamantine. I will devote the rest of my turn to dig even deeper!

18th Timber, 750

By Armok! Finally! As autumn comes to a close, we have breached the ceiling of the second cavern - and with it, the lava sea!

But more importantly...

Our staircase clings spectacularly to a narrow stone wall separating the caverns from a huge natural dome above the magma sea. The adamantine lies to the east, and while we can see it from here, the ground level from where we can reach it is still some ways below us. It is a fantastic deposit though. Rather large, and with lava nowhere near to be seen. We should be able to dig several levels into it without any problems

Further north, there is an underground lake, curiously on the same level as the magma. It should be easy to set up an obsidian factory if we are so inclined. This terrain is truly fortuitous. But first things first: The Magma Forge!

Winter, 750
12th Moonstone

In preparation for the magmaforge, I have ordered the construction of a workshop and stockpile layer specifically for magmasafe materials
Here we shall mine gabbro for the floodgates, mechanisms etc we will need for the magma moats and obsidian farms

15th Opal, 750

I have made camp near the bottom of the stairwell, where it reaches the caverns, to oversee construction of the magmaforge directly and make sure it remains as the crowning achievement of my tenure. The fort above should be doing fine, as we were doing great in terms of stockpiles and had installed traps near the most obvious points of entry. Occasionally a runner will make the long trip down the stairwell to inform me of important events. For example, Iridium being struck by a mood and creating a rather questionable artifact

20th Obsidian, 750

It is done! After weeks of digging and channeling, we have finished the magmaforge!

It consists of a maintenance room, reached by a separate entrance, with 2 floodgates controlling the flood of the nearby magma. If both gates are open, it flows into a network of channels that feed the smelters and smithys above. At the far end, lie specialised adamantine stockpiles, feeding the strand extractors. Non adamantine goods are, for now, stored a level above, near the main stairwell
since we are 130z levels below ground, a small foodstock and separate dining room have also been built, as well as lodgings for the metalcrafters, potters and others who will be working down here, including myself

On the level above the magmaforge, we will break the cavern holding the adamantine, via a narrow trap corridor to keep whatever lives down here away from the forge and the stairwell. Sadly, the honor to dig it out and actually mine the adamantine will not fall to me. But I rest easy knowing that I layed the groundwork
I now gather the nearby miners and make my way back up the stairwell, to celebrate

26th Obsidian, 750

We have reached the workshop levels, only to find them empty of dwarves. Where is everyone?

As we ready our weapons and inch further up the central stairwell, we hear....chanting?

31st Obsidian, 750

I was a fool. As I spent most of winter in the depths, blinded by my desire to see the Magmaforge completed,  Mayor Dakost Wordedkindled has not been idle. As we arrived on the ground level, we saw that most of the fortress had congregated in and around some large new hall. At the bottom level, it held what appeared to be a new temple, dedicated to Äkim, the god of war and death.
On the level above that, however, reached by twin stairs to the side, Dakost had built herself a Throne Room. And was now holding what appeared to be an audience for her....subjects
"Ah, 'President' Skurkanas? Back from your adventures below? How fortunate, for I believe your term in office is just about over. We must adhere to the constitution, mustn't we? Be so kind and hand your badge over to the nearest guardsman"

There is considerable grumbling amongst the dwarves in attendance, but no one dares to act. An unspoken threat of violence hangs in the air, and I loathe to make my last day in office a bloodbath. Hoping that faith in the dee-moe-cratic experiment hasn't eroded completely while I was away, I hope that I can salvage the situation at least somewhat, and make good on the promise i gave to FakerFanGirl(2)

"My term ends, indeed. And I am happy to have served this fortress as its president. We have made great strides in these last two years, and I bring news of a large vein of adamantine. It was the intention of our founders that this wealth would belong to all dwarves, so I believe it is time, 'mayor',  to adhere to the constitution indeed, and elect my Successor."

A murmur goes through the crowd at the mention of the adamantine, and details of just how large and easy to mine the vein is. More importantly, though, the mention that this will go to ALL the dwarves, and not just become furniture for the nobles, seems to resonate. Emboldened by their response, I continue
"Fellow dwarves! Who among you is brave enough to lead Freecrypt into this new age? Who will create a dwarfhold the likes of which this old world has never seen before? Who will strike down the tyrants far and near? Step forth!"

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:25:59 am by Skurkanas »