Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Nazushmonom 'Blood Paper', a Library-focused game  (Read 9965 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Nazushmonom 'Blood Paper', a Library-focused game
« on: August 22, 2018, 02:44:22 pm »

Spoiler: General information (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Population Limits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Founding Seven (click to show/hide)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn List
1. Immortal-D
2. Deus Asmoth
3. Simon_science
4. scourge728
5. Dunamisdeos

Dorfing requests
Moonstone_Flower "Lily" - Female Smithy or Chef
King Zultan
Imic - Head Chef

Chapters
1. The greatest Library Fortress ever is founded in the harsh tundra

En Memorandum
1. Mengbal, 'Immortal-D': Death by White Tigerman invasion
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:57:11 pm by Immortal-D »

Simon_science

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nazushmonom 'Blood Paper', a Library-focused game
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 02:48:11 pm »

Dibs on master Craftsdwarf! Also yay! :D

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 04:44:04 pm »

When listing fps stats about world, should probably list the population. A dead large world will generate to 300 in an eyeblink, while a pocket with 200 civs can take a while.

I think multiple skills for pondering isn't efficient- they seem to pick one, which means the others will rust away. Though if there's multiple dwarves in a library, they may switch the topics they're discussing. I further suspect Reader to be useless in fort mode. In old library threads, apprenticing to a Master was suggested to require 3+ teacher, 10+ skill. Archcrystal disproves the first, but one might want to use grindable library skill nonetheless if there's an interest in that.

Everything else about embark skills has been discussed a hundred times elsewhere. Though tbh I'd be tempted to go with 7 scholars (with maybe leader having appraiser/consoler/pacifier) and fast-forward at 4000 fps to first migration wave. Well, you do you.

I shall further note that you should keep your barracks away from library, as observer is a scholarly skill(tested here).

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 07:20:30 pm »

Is the Head Chef female?  If not, just set me up as a female armoursmith, chef, or blacksmith, if you would.  Named "Lily".
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 03:05:05 pm »

Is the Head Chef female?  If not, just set me up as a female armoursmith, chef, or blacksmith, if you would.  Named "Lily".
The only 2 lady Dorfs in the Founders are the Crafter (Taken by Simon) and Raid Leader.  All migrants thus far have been peasants, so I'll add you to the 'awaiting Dorfing' list :)

Freshcannon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 10:26:34 pm »

I would like to be a dorf.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 02:33:55 am »

The only 2 lady Dorfs in the Founders are the Crafter (Taken by Simon) and Raid Leader.  All migrants thus far have been peasants, so I'll add you to the 'awaiting Dorfing' list :)

Whee, alrighty!  Bonus points if my dwarf is gay(and possibly disinclined to marry), or both disinclined to marry and bi.  :D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:35:28 am by Moonstone_Flower »
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 09:37:14 pm »

You'd think that being the one to start the game, I'd have gotten this done faster.  Anyways, here is the population of the world;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As you can see, the Dwarves are holding their own, but there is no shortage of hostile races out for our blood.  And by blood of course, I mean books.

And now, on with the show!

1 Granite
It is the Spring of Year 300 on the Dwarven Calendar.  The world is chaotic as the myriad races vie for power.  Thus, now is the perfect time for Dwarves to establish a beacon of order.  I'm sure the quarter master at the mountain home thought we were crazy, setting off as we did.  I mean, what sane Dwarf spends valuable gold & wagon space on bookcases?

Well, what that fool doesn't know is the secret location we scouted.  Far to the South where desert meet tundra, just warm enough to melt the permafrost and create rivers.

Like the legends of old, our home shall be a mighty Library Fortress; bastion of knowledge, learning, and immeasurable pain for all who would disturb us!

6 Malachite
Work goes quickly, the earth & stone of our new home is quite easy to handle.  Vegetation is scarce, as to be expected, but we did find a few surprises.

Perhaps once we have secured a courtyard, we can create regular harvesting zones to boost our supplies.  As Dwarves of learning, we know a few tricks that have eluded our kin.  Namely, the ability to craft a sturdy bedframe out of rock blocks, thus greatly reducing our reliance on wood.

14 Galena
Much as I would love nothing more than to dig out a space for our bookcases and resign myself to studying, even I know that basic provisions must come first.  Plans are drawn for a small palisade, using the many stone blocks being pumped out by Master Craftsdwarf Simon_science

Speaking of provisions, I happen to pass by our farming level just as the first plots are laid down.  Our pig herd have availed themselves of their sandy pasture as well, greedily scooping up grubs & insects after months stuck on the surface.

21 Sandstone
The caravan has dutifully made its' way to us, though I am saddened we lacked the funds to purchase the single book in their possession.  None the less, I have laid the groundwork for our industries, so that future Overseers can enjoy more lucrative trading.

Storage of our wealth remains an issue.

10 Obsidian
Our larders are well stocked for the coming year.

And with my exceptional leadership, we even managed to create our first Library.  Behold, The Vault of Ink!

Featuring rich stone & wood furniture, with several gemstone chests, all hand crafted by Simon_science.  Word travels fast apparently, and we already find ourselves with guests.

The extra labor that migrated means that for the first time in over a year, I am finally able to focus my efforts on the truly important matters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It begins! :D  Hopefully I didn't kill the interest by taking so freaking long to get started.  As an aside, we have Tetrahedrite, but so far no iron.  Given the types of biomes though, I suspect we'll be able to make bronze for our weapons & armor.  Still a lot to do; clothing, temples, real defense, etc.  Still, I have a good feeling about this one :) 
I would like to be a dorf.
You have been Dorf'd, though I didn't see until I'd mostly finished the chapter (sorry).  The only migrant with any skill of note was a Novice Carpenter.  So that's you, and you have also been given the Fort's only battle axe for slaying trees.

Save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vwdaaswu8vk9vdk/region3.7z?dl=0
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:40:23 pm by Immortal-D »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 09:57:42 pm »

Should probably list time and/or term limits in the OP.

Why the spiked balls and featuring elves in fort symbol on embark?

As for the setup, it's worth noting with your setup for 1500 pig tails a year there isn't matching capability for scroll rollers or bookbindings. Task for next overseer? I think only industralized melt item exploit can manage to match that....(Legendary miner could dig stones faster but fps/hauling.)

Well, could still produce quires, but it's likely going to take substantial fraction of population to operate given breadbowl focused on food and drink production, yet produced less than ten times that much on average. A compounding issue is that harvesting only occurs thrice a season, yet pondering scholars won't harvest, so there needs to be idle hands.

Meanwhile, in non-setup notes, I like making use of uncommon(non-rectangle) geometric shapes. Digshape or by hand?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 10:06:33 pm »

Should probably list time and/or term limits in the OP.

Why the spiked balls and featuring elves in fort symbol on embark?

As for the setup, it's worth noting with your setup for 1500 pig tails a year there isn't matching capability for scroll rollers or bookbindings. Task for next overseer? I think only industralized melt item exploit can manage to match that....(Legendary miner could dig stones faster but fps/hauling.)

Well, could still produce quires, but it's likely going to take substantial fraction of population to operate given breadbowl focused on food and drink production, yet produced less than ten times that much on average. A compounding issue is that harvesting only occurs thrice a season, yet pondering scholars won't harvest, so there needs to be idle hands.

Meanwhile, in non-setup notes, I like making use of uncommon(non-rectangle) geometric shapes. Digshape or by hand?
1. Cheap early trap component, enough to knock out wandering critters
2. Elves are always fun to abuse, whether in person or via art forms.
3. Not sure where you get 1500, but I left the library settings as default for now.
4. Definitely going to need more Pig Tails, and maybe Rope Reed if we can get any seeds. Based on what I've seen of the mineral composition, I'm willing to bet we'll have the resources needed to make Parchment.  It's functionally like regular paper, but 10x cooler 8)
5. Both

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 10:20:08 pm »

...You now have to actually set up a minecart system to kill elven ambushes via bookgun, otherwise the symbol is lies :P (Though seems kind of waste to focus on them when you included new invaders.)

Also might result in engravers placing images of elves all around in fort walls, since they often engrave civ and group symbols - I ordered engraving of a dead dwarf (killed by a giant buzzard), and engraver placed 'B' on the wall of that event. Elves is last in the actor list in your symbol too, so could expect that.

As for 1500, 50 tiles of pig tail farm * 3 harvest a seasons * 5 plants a harvest * 2 seasons = 1500 pig tail plants. Each farm plot tile is kinda like its own workshop, after all. (If one half-asses it though one may just have their crop rot in the partially-filled fields however.)

Parchment can be cool, but I find it truly meaningful when made from defeated enemies or something like civ's symbolic animal or king's favourite pet. Otherwise, just more effort to create (though there was that parchment roast....).

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 01:24:21 pm »

Put me down for a turn please, and the chief medical dwarf if they're not taken.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 01:27:18 pm »

Put me down for a turn please, and the chief medical dwarf if they're not taken.
Done and done.  Assuming Simon hasn't skipped town, I'll leave the actual Dorfing to him.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 07:07:28 pm »

Simon is currently busy with a turn in The Mountain of Failure, so I'd say you might as well take it now.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 05:50:30 am »

I'd like a dwarf.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4