Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: {CLOSED}{NO FIX} Rescuing [FLIER] creatures from pathing  (Read 601 times)

asialsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
{CLOSED}{NO FIX} Rescuing [FLIER] creatures from pathing
« on: August 22, 2018, 04:08:10 pm »

I'm currently in the process of making all standard D&D races playable civs in Dwarf Fortress, but I've run into an issue that's as old as the game is. Creatures with [BODY:2WINGS] will fly to a job site if they can walk to it, but this causes them to become stuck in the air, unable to fall down. At this point, if you don't rescue them, they either starve/dehydrate, or randomly go on break, which seems to ignore the lack of pathing. From what I've read, wings specifically are the issue, and using [FLIER] without them causes normal bird-like behaviour.

Is there ANY WAY for me to have wings on my creatures that, when damaged, prohibit flight, but also don't cause air stuck-edness?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:38:23 pm by asialsky »
Off defending the fortress from dragons with a tank, I'm sure.
"All I want is for you to be happy. You won't be happy until I'm happy, so hurry up and shoot the zombies!"

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
Re: {HELP!} Rescuing [FLIER] creatures from pathing
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 05:20:21 pm »

I'm currently in the process of making all standard D&D races playable civs in Dwarf Fortress, but I've run into an issue that's as old as the game is. Creatures with [BODY:2WINGS] will fly to a job site if they can walk to it, but this causes them to become stuck in the air, unable to fall down. At this point, if you don't rescue them, they either starve/dehydrate, or randomly go on break, which seems to ignore the lack of pathing. From what I've read, wings specifically are the issue, and using [FLIER] without them causes normal bird-like behaviour.

Is there ANY WAY for me to have wings on my creatures that, when damaged, prohibit flight, but also don't cause air stuck-edness?

[FLIER] AI is currently bugged and doesn't work properly in Fortress mode, and is best to not use it till its updated to where it works properly. Also, 2WINGS are not required for flying, just the tag.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

asialsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 05:42:19 pm »

You see, my end goal is something that flies and has wings that can be targeted in combat which, when damaged, prevent flight. How would one set that particular combination up without resorting to using the [FLIER] tag? Just leave it out?
"All I want is for you to be happy. You won't be happy until I'm happy, so hurry up and shoot the zombies!"

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 08:33:46 pm »

In order to fly, creatures have to path through the air.  Pathing through the air is currently bugged in fortress mode.  I don't think there's really any way around that.  You can either make do without flying and give them wings that don't actually work, or you can rescue them frequently when they fly up and get stuck.  Some day, the flier AI will get fixed, we hope.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

asialsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 11:37:31 pm »

I guess I'll just keep them as-is then. It took long enough already to figure out how to use a caste to make wings a functional variant. (HINT: [BODY] tag is additive when used multiple times in the same creature definition.)

For now, silver/gray scales mean no wings, and black or blue scales means +wings. Currently, they only get a frost vapor breath weapon, as I haven't created the other variations.