Author Topic: CULT  (Read 71455 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: CULT
« Reply #345 on: December 11, 2018, 08:25:39 pm »

Aww... But I really want to know! Ethics are good and all, but not when they get in my way!

If the detective won't spill the beans, I could simply get someone to do the research for me. Try to sell a copy of the tape to some local news station/newspaper along with the story about dangerous cultists kidnapping innocent people. Maybe I can use my contacts to find someone sympathetic/familiar?

Try to get a name and contact information from the reporter responsible so that I can let them know if I find anything else and we can hopefully work together in our investigation. Hopefully the first step to converting them to the Scholar. After all, reporters like to seek secret knowledge, right?

If they look interested, let them know that I'll be visiting the victim tomorrow and ask if they're interested in joining me or me contacting them later and letting them know how it went.

Spoiler: Helen "The Recorder" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:21:59 am by Parisbre56 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 11, 2018, 08:34:07 pm »

((Hmm. I guess exposing secrets to the world could be technically within the Scholar's sphere...))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 12, 2018, 03:01:25 am »

(Learning them and documenting them probably would be.  And you've got to learn something before you can expose it.)

"Yeah, but I wasn't so much thinking flashlights, as wishing for night vision or something."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 12, 2018, 03:05:54 am »

"I'm sure that could be obtained as well, if we asked one of our comrades with the right connections. I would rather not stoop to using favor for matters where mundane equipment would suffice."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 12, 2018, 03:29:55 am »

"I don't know.  Good night-vision equipment is expensive, rare and difficult to find.  I'm sure someone could get us some, but we could probably wish for inhumanly good eyesight, including night vision, instead of just night vision."

"Besides, it'd be better to just see, rather than having to squint down a scope or something.  Anyway, it's just an idea."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 12, 2018, 03:36:32 am »

"That said, the idea does appeal to me.  I want to be immortal to see what will occur in ages to come.  And being immortal, everything not part of myself will break or fail eventually.  So I'm planning on asking the Scholar for personal abilities to help me face whatever the future should hold."

"What do you want from the Scholar?"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 12, 2018, 03:45:06 am »

"Same as what the Scholar wants from me, I think."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 12, 2018, 03:56:50 am »

"Heh.  Well, you might as well get paid for doing it..  and it might be a good idea to be able to defend yourself, given the airplane-sized moth that I ran into the other day.  Still got the dents in my car roof from it landing on top."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 12, 2018, 04:00:59 am »

"Was considering that. I do already have a collection of very sharp things, but it would be nice to have something more dedicated."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 12, 2018, 04:07:44 am »

"So like claws or like a magic sword?  Or maybe a dagger or something more easily concealable..."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 12, 2018, 04:27:50 am »

"We'll see. Possessions come and they go. Prefer something that won't get stolen, or knocked out of my hand in a fight. Wouldn't hurt to buy a good blade, though. Maybe a few, just in case."

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 12, 2018, 12:04:36 pm »

When she returned from the library, Alexis was told that the Scholar is pleased by other things such as forbidden and secret knowledge, not just dissecting things. A bit disappointed, Alexis nevertheless nodded in understanding. Perhaps she can ask for a tour of the hospital tomorrow then. Arching an eyebrow at the New Age bookstore lady, Alexis decided that perhaps she may have friends who would be interested in joining or if there were more to her than the neo-hippie she appears to be.

Time for Alexis to hone her social skills with the good old fashioned art of conversation! Get to know this bookstore lady more with casual chatter, along with a little subtle social manipulation aimed at getting her to let her guard down. Make sure she is comfortable both physically and emotionally. Ask about her life, including any family or friends she may have. Inquire about who she once was before she got into the New Age philosophy and any interesting people she'd bumped into. Learn of her hobbies and plans for the future. If she's gets too defensive, stop for now as excessive questioning will drive her away from the cult. Find something to cook for the group if the conversation ends for any reason.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 12:03:23 pm by Sir Elventide »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #357 on: December 14, 2018, 11:51:13 am »

"Indeed it is, please come in."

Tell the bookshopy lady about the origins of the Scholar, starting with that worship of the Scholar goes back to ancient times and that he was worshipped by ancient healers, supposed necromancers, his connection to Thoth and that the goal of the Scholar is to obtain knowledge.
Spoiler: Richard Reed (click to show/hide)
[12]
You bring the woman in and tell her what you think she wants to hear. You give her all the good parts of the scholar, leaving out the stuff about how the cults almost inevitably devolved into human sacrifice and the dreams of self dissection. You think you made a pretty good impression but your enthusiasm was perhaps a bit overblown. She seems friendly and receptive but also sort of "deer in the headlights" and is very reluctant to make any sort of choices or say whether or not she's interested in coming to another meeting or anything like that.

When she returned from the library, Alexis was told that the Scholar is pleased by other things such as forbidden and secret knowledge, not just dissecting things. A bit disappointed, Alexis nevertheless nodded in understanding. Perhaps she can ask for a tour of the hospital tomorrow then. Arching an eyebrow at the New Age bookstore lady, Alexis decided that perhaps she may have friends who would be interested in joining or if there were more to her than the neo-hippie she appears to be.

Time for Alexis to hone her social skills with the good old fashioned art of conversation! Get to know this bookstore lady more with casual chatter, along with a little subtle social manipulation aimed at getting her to let her guard down. Make sure she is comfortable both physically and emotionally. Ask about her life, including any family or friends she may have. Inquire about who she once was before she got into the New Age philosophy and any interesting people she'd bumped into. Learn of her hobbies and plans for the future. If she's gets too defensive, stop for now as excessive questioning will drive her away from the cult. Find something to cook for the group if the conversation ends for any reason.

[9]
You ask enough questions to seem interested without also seeming intrusive. She doesn't tell you much, just some general things about herself like her 3 brothers, dead parents, interest in the new age, and the difficulties of running the shop in the current climate. But you manage to put her at ease in a way that Richard couldn't. She seems more pliable now, more likely to go along with suggestions.

Aww... But I really want to know! Ethics are good and all, but not when they get in my way!

If the detective won't spill the beans, I could simply get someone to do the research for me. Try to sell a copy of the tape to some local news station/newspaper along with the story about dangerous cultists kidnapping innocent people. Maybe I can use my contacts to find someone sympathetic/familiar?

Try to get a name and contact information from the reporter responsible so that I can let them know if I find anything else and we can hopefully work together in our investigation. Hopefully the first step to converting them to the Scholar. After all, reporters like to seek secret knowledge, right?

If they look interested, let them know that I'll be visiting the victim tomorrow and ask if they're interested in joining me or me contacting them later and letting them know how it went.

[9]
You get hold of a friend that works at the local news station and let them know about the tape you have and whats on it. They tell you they'll talk to the people at the station and get back to you, but that it sounds promising in terms of story material.  You get a call back in about an hour and are surprised to hear another person's voice instead of your friends. They tell you to bring the tape to the station right away, so they can get it on the evening news.

Stop and examine that cairn.  Is it a thing in itself, or does it just mark a location, like a starting point?

"I don't know if we should fumble around at night.  We might get lost.  Although one of us could wish for something to help out with that, if we want to get it done now."

Spoiler: Sean O'Malley (click to show/hide)
The cairn is 7 stones tall; nothing very elaborate, probably just a path marker if you had to guess.

"Wishing for a little light seems like a waste of this amazing connection we have, don't you think? We can just come back tomorrow, with flashlights."

Look at both forks of the road. Which one feels more "tingly"? Feel it out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You get a tingle for both roads but a different tingle. The one with the cairn tingles in your stomach like a particularly strong "Butterflies in your stomach" nervousness while the other tingles lightly on your scalp.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 14, 2018, 09:57:02 pm »

"Do you want to keep going? So far as I can tell, both ways will lead somewhere, but the right path feels uneasy. Left path feels a little more like the feelings that the Scholar gives me, but it might be something different."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #359 on: December 16, 2018, 07:42:37 am »

Sounds like a plan. To the station!

Show them the tape if I can but do not relinquish it unless I get a promise to with together with or at least be included in any follow-up. If that is out of the question, then I'd at least like a proper payment. Edit: though both payment and cooperation would be the best.

Oh, also make sure my name stays out of the report. It wouldn't do to have everyone know my name. At least, not yet.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 06:47:35 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36