Author Topic: CULT  (Read 71702 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CULT
« Reply #360 on: December 16, 2018, 03:33:56 pm »

"I suppose we can check out the other tomorrow."

Proceed down the scalp-path

Spoiler: Sean O'Malley (click to show/hide)

Hotfire90

« Reply #361 on: December 17, 2018, 03:26:53 pm »

Explain to the bookshop lady that our cult, just like the Scholar, aims to discover the truth about the world and the universe. Also mention that the Scholar entrusted us with an artifact, and offer to show it to her.
Spoiler: Richard Reed (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 17, 2018, 09:36:54 pm »

Well well, we're going left.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 20, 2018, 01:30:11 pm »

Yeah, looks like Rich has this. Try to bail him out if he messes up somehow, but otherwise sit back and look pretty.

Spoiler: Alexander Sill (click to show/hide)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 21, 2018, 10:56:12 am »

"It's good that you're here with us then," Alexis said, putting on her warmest smile. "It's not that often that people of different beliefs would come together and do better things than berating each other. We're so unlike those fanatics who'd harassed you the other day."

Looking to the side for a moment, Alexis continued, "I tell you what: why don't you join our little group and we can discover new things together? We can learn from and help each other and just in case those whack jobs come back, we'll have your back."

Convert Bookstore Lady to Red Scholarianity!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #365 on: December 21, 2018, 11:57:44 am »

Sounds like a plan. To the station!

Show them the tape if I can but do not relinquish it unless I get a promise to with together with or at least be included in any follow-up. If that is out of the question, then I'd at least like a proper payment. Edit: though both payment and cooperation would be the best.

Oh, also make sure my name stays out of the report. It wouldn't do to have everyone know my name. At least, not yet.

Spoiler: Helen "The Recorder" (click to show/hide)
You head to the station and to the front desk, asking for your friend. They bring out two security guards who lead you down a hall and into what looks like an empty conference room. There are a few people in there, an older man, a middle age lady, and a younger man, but not your friend. The older man is the one that greets you.

"Ah, you're the one with the video." He says, with the slightest hint of cheer, "Do you have it with you?"

Well well, we're going left.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I suppose we can check out the other tomorrow."

Proceed down the scalp-path

You head down the path without the cairn and after a long drive through the wilderness, the road becoming increasingly rough and overgrown, you come to its end. The road ends at the remains of a wooden bridge over a river, now nothing but two tall wooden pillars and a few planks of wood. You look across to the other side and see a similar set of remnant pillars along with something else. They appear to be tumble down wooden forms, the remains of one of the countless ghost towns that litter the former gold rush area, now mostly overgrown and hidden. You notice a glint on one of the distant wooden pillars and look up at the one on your side. Near the top is a brand new looking Nylon rope along with one of those zipline carriages, those boxy metal things with internal wheels to slide up and down a rope. There's a carabiner on the carriage, to clip things like harnesses or baskets onto and then send them across the river.

"It's good that you're here with us then," Alexis said, putting on her warmest smile. "It's not that often that people of different beliefs would come together and do better things than berating each other. We're so unlike those fanatics who'd harassed you the other day."

Looking to the side for a moment, Alexis continued, "I tell you what: why don't you join our little group and we can discover new things together? We can learn from and help each other and just in case those whack jobs come back, we'll have your back."

Convert Bookstore Lady to Red Scholarianity!

Yeah, looks like Rich has this. Try to bail him out if he messes up somehow, but otherwise sit back and look pretty.

Spoiler: Alexander Sill (click to show/hide)
Explain to the bookshop lady that our cult, just like the Scholar, aims to discover the truth about the world and the universe. Also mention that the Scholar entrusted us with an artifact, and offer to show it to her.
[5]
Richard retrieves the eye from its cabinet and brings it to the woman. He hands it to her and she stares into it for a long moment before passing out. She awakens a few moments later and immediately accepts the invitation to join the cult.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 21, 2018, 07:45:57 pm »

"It looks like someone else has been here. Recently. And I doubt we could get across without a harness. Maybe we should go back, report this to the others, and come back with more people?"
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Hotfire90

« Reply #367 on: December 22, 2018, 11:39:51 am »

"I assume you have recieved the same vision we had when we joined, but in the case that you saw something different, feel free to draw what you saw. I expect the Scolar to visit you in your dream tonight, so you might want to prepare yourself for that. Be sure to come by tomorrow, we have much to plan."

Give her my drawing and a pen, retrieve them once she's done drawing what she saw and then dismiss for the day.
Prepare for surgery, by preparing a table and laying out the needed tools.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #368 on: December 22, 2018, 12:50:03 pm »

"Yep! Got it right here!" Helen responded, making a show out of searching her camera bag and discretely activating it so that it would record the sound of the meeting from inside the bag. That done, she pulled out one of the copies of the tape and showed it to the man.
"Yep, that's it! Ah, but where are my manners? I'm Helen Hywater. And you are?"

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 23, 2018, 10:32:20 am »

"It's good for you too join our little group miss..."

After chatting with the new convert, Alexis will find dinner for the little group. She will be return home and manage things there.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #370 on: December 26, 2018, 10:56:02 am »

"I assume you have recieved the same vision we had when we joined, but in the case that you saw something different, feel free to draw what you saw. I expect the Scolar to visit you in your dream tonight, so you might want to prepare yourself for that. Be sure to come by tomorrow, we have much to plan."

Give her my drawing and a pen, retrieve them once she's done drawing what she saw and then dismiss for the day.
Prepare for surgery, by preparing a table and laying out the needed tools.

You get a drawing from her that differs from what you drew. Though its just as abstract and difficult for her to describe. Eyes, visions of other worlds, beings that she can't describe except by single words like "Knife" and "Dog"  You take what she has and send her on her way, then get the table set up for surgery.

"It's good for you too join our little group miss..."

After chatting with the new convert, Alexis will find dinner for the little group. She will be return home and manage things there.

You take the woman to get some drivethru (-10 bucks) and then drop her back at her car at the university before heading home. You do the cleaning around the house and make sure dinner is all done there as well.

"Yep! Got it right here!" Helen responded, making a show out of searching her camera bag and discretely activating it so that it would record the sound of the meeting from inside the bag. That done, she pulled out one of the copies of the tape and showed it to the man.
"Yep, that's it! Ah, but where are my manners? I'm Helen Hywater. And you are?"

The man doesn't respond and instead immediately takes the tape. One of the people with him slides a contract over to you.

"Standard non-disclosure and resignment of rights to the property. After you sign, you will be paid. You cannot tell anyone else about this or give any copies to any other news stations or individuals. This tape and everything on it, and everything in your head, are ours once you sign that."

You look at the man and he's eyeing the tape carefully, almost as though looking for something on the tape itself. You're not sure what.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 26, 2018, 12:04:50 pm »

"Yeah.. that does look a bit dodgy without a harness.  Long way down."

"Okay, lets head back here tomorrow.  I gotta get to the temple to accept some deliveries, but then I should be free around noon for the rest of the day."

Take pictures of the area, and try to estimate an azimuth between the sunset and any nearby visible landmarks, such as prominent hills and such.  It might be easier to find a different way here from the other side of the gultch, instead of crossing at this point.  Then, head back to the car and the city.  Make sure these pictures are on a seperate roll, as they're perfectly safe to have someone else develop.

Hotfire90

« Reply #372 on: December 26, 2018, 07:00:06 pm »

Wait for the hobo to hopefully return.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #373 on: December 28, 2018, 05:37:03 am »

"Allrighty then, cool your jets, just give me a sec to give this a once over."

Skim the important bits to see if there's anything too worrying in there.

And does it say anything about giving it to others before I sign the contract, given that I already have?

And what kind of money are they offering?

Will I be free to keep pursuing this story? Ask them who I should contact if I find out more.

Am I obliged to tell them everything about my involvement in the event?

If there's nothing too absurd, sign the contract. What's the worst that could happen?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #374 on: December 31, 2018, 11:35:57 am »

"Yeah.. that does look a bit dodgy without a harness.  Long way down."

"Okay, lets head back here tomorrow.  I gotta get to the temple to accept some deliveries, but then I should be free around noon for the rest of the day."

Take pictures of the area, and try to estimate an azimuth between the sunset and any nearby visible landmarks, such as prominent hills and such.  It might be easier to find a different way here from the other side of the gultch, instead of crossing at this point.  Then, head back to the car and the city.  Make sure these pictures are on a seperate roll, as they're perfectly safe to have someone else develop.

You take some pictures of the surroundings and estimate the town's location on the map before heading back to town. I assume you're headed back to the hideout so I'll put you there.

Wait for the hobo to hopefully return.
He does, though you notice that he seems to have used a fair bit of the money you gave him to sneakily (Or maybe not so sneakily) buy booze for himself.

Still, he did what you asked.

"Allrighty then, cool your jets, just give me a sec to give this a once over."

Skim the important bits to see if there's anything too worrying in there.

And does it say anything about giving it to others before I sign the contract, given that I already have?

And what kind of money are they offering?

Will I be free to keep pursuing this story? Ask them who I should contact if I find out more.

Am I obliged to tell them everything about my involvement in the event?

If there's nothing too absurd, sign the contract. What's the worst that could happen?

The contract is a non-disclosure agreement. There's nothing about selling your soul or anything but the contract does seem a bit extreme. Its like what you'd expect the employees of Area 51 to have to sign;basically forbids you from doing anything with this information, even so much as confirming or denying you ever had it or that it even existed.

It doesn't seem to include any retroactive clauses other than them having the right to know who you gave it to before this, if anyone.

3000 bucks

No, you contractually obligated to not follow this up.

No, you're obligated to shut the heck up and let it go.

I'll let you choose if this is too absurd or not.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36