Author Topic: CULT  (Read 71640 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: CULT
« Reply #420 on: January 23, 2019, 12:46:22 pm »

((Who's is this ER person? Is it just Egan's character?))

Awaking up from that strange and foreboding dreams, Alexis got up and fixed breakfast. She then cleaned the house and made sure her husband's clothing was washed and ironed. After taking care of the house, Alexis decided to:

Go to the store to purchase a can of mace. After that, she intend to arrange for a tour of CHOMP, pretending to be someone interested in working there as an orderly.

((Egan goes by several names, ER is one of them. He had a PM action I fulfilled after the main turn there.))

You head out early in the morning and buy a big can of bear mace from a camping store ($10).  From there you head over to CHOMP and ask about a tour. They tell you they run tours twice a day, one at 11am and the next at 3pm.  You check your watch. A few hours to go before the first tour.

Search the news - t.v. and papers - for any new information about the flooding, then head to the university. Once there, find out if there are any departments monitoring the ocean and how to contact them.

Spoiler: Alexander Sill (click to show/hide)
There's plenty of info out there on the news and in the paper, though the majority of it relates to the damage and stories of people surviving the storm and plans for clean up, that sort of thing. There's little being said about the cause other than that it was an "Unseasonable storm".

You head out to the university and look around. Turns out there's a quite large oceanography and marine biology section at the university, perhaps not surprising due to being so near the ocean. As per contacting them, you suppose you could just go and seen them in person. They have a section of the school and another building down by the beach, though its probably been damaged in the storm.

Phone the hospital and check if I can visit M. Santana.

Before going to the hospital, is there something like the online police bulletin used in the modern day to announce arrests? Or could I call the police station and ask? If so, try to find the names of the other guys that were arrested for the kidnapping yesterday. Pretend I'm a member of the press, if they ask.

Then go to the hospital.

Spoiler: Helen "The Recorder" (click to show/hide)
You call the police and ask about a record of arrests. They say that each day a record of arrests and other legal actions is created and place in public record at the courthouse. It can be found there. ((While looking this up I went down a bit of a rabbit hole but did find this. She's quit up beat for abandoning her family and child.))

When you phone the hospital and ask about Santana the nurse talking to you pauses for a moment and then asks, "Did you see the moon last night?"

Wake up.  Wonder about the dream.  In response to the dream, use two points of favor to increase both Guile and Willpower to d8.

Then time to head back to the lab.. the photo lab stuff is due in today.

Spoiler: Sean O'Malley (click to show/hide)
You consume your favor with gentle wishes of self improvement and then head to the lab. No sign of the delivery yet but its still quite early.

Head to the library and return the books, then return to the cult basement.
Spoiler: Richard Reed (click to show/hide)
You return the books and then meet Sean at the lab. He tells you some photo equipment is coming today.

"Wasn't planning to."

Purchase a real knife. Keep it hidden.

Return to the university basement and wait.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You head to a camping store, crossing paths with Alexis momentarily before heading to the knife counter, You search carefully through the available ones, trying out several. You'd prefer something like a sykes fairbairn knife or a similar purpose made for fighting but you find a nice substitute. Its simple, double edged, with a fixed blade and a good sharp point. It should serve nicely.

You return to the lab.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #421 on: January 23, 2019, 02:35:38 pm »

Would our god know Flux's secrets? Time to put the Scholar's knowledge of secrets to the test.
Wish: "Teach me their memes so I can pass as one of them."

If that fails/partially succeeds, try to bullshit my way through the password instead. Maybe I can say something close enough and then pretend I'm a bumbling idiot that forgot it. What would a cultist of Flux respond that sounds both innocuous and mystical? Something like "Yes. It was great and bright."?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 23, 2019, 03:28:14 pm »

Head to the building on the beach and see what sort of state it's in. Attempt to strike up a conversation about the storm with any staff (preferably researchers) hanging around it or, if it's still standing, inside. If necessary, portray myself as just an interested person working at the university.

I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 23, 2019, 07:23:18 pm »

"Well, shall we prepare for a stroll to the park?"

Ailn tilts her head pointedly to the cabinet containing the eye orb.

"I think it would be a good idea to bring the eye along. We would be able to snap photos of the place and show it to the eye afterwards, but if we actually bring it the scholar can help show us what we should be looking at.
Of course, it's risky. If we bring the eye somewhere, we need to be able to protect it. I recommend that everyone who's coming on this expedition arm yourselves, if you can. If you have the connections to get a firearm but need more money, I can help you."

Now, think we need to buy zipline harnesses for each of us to get across the river in the park. I'll buy enough of them that I can be sure we'll have enough for everyone who wants to come. 7 or so, depending how many come packaged together.
There was already a carriage on the line, but it would be a good idea to buy an extra one, just in case.

Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 24, 2019, 06:15:33 am »

Alexis waited patiently in the waiting room for the tour to start. Dipping her fingers into her purse, Alexis touched the large can of bear mace and felt more protected against the servant of the Silent One, whoever they may be. She highly doubted they would be silent for long after choking on a faceful of capsaicin. As she looked at the clock on the wall, Alexis decided to:

Make small talk with those who are also going on the tour. Who knows, maybe the conversations may lead to something she can investigate later...

Hotfire90

« Reply #425 on: January 25, 2019, 12:09:43 pm »

"I've already been thinking of buying a gun, what with the dream I had. I'll be back once I've got one."

Buy a gun, a pistol or a revolver should suffice.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 25, 2019, 12:18:19 pm »

Find some surveyor's maps of the park, and see if I can sort out the location of the town that I couldn't vist yesterday.  If I can locate it, does it look like there's a better route there?  Also, is anything known about the history of the location?

Cut off my investigations if the deliveries arrive.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #427 on: January 30, 2019, 11:03:57 am »

Would our god know Flux's secrets? Time to put the Scholar's knowledge of secrets to the test.
Wish: "Teach me their memes so I can pass as one of them."

If that fails/partially succeeds, try to bullshit my way through the password instead. Maybe I can say something close enough and then pretend I'm a bumbling idiot that forgot it. What would a cultist of Flux respond that sounds both innocuous and mystical? Something like "Yes. It was great and bright."?

[2][favor reduced by 1 level]
Uh....they like the moon? And water. And moths.
[4]
"Um. Oh right Its light was fluid and its countenance flux?"

"How long has it been since you last showed up for a meeting? That  password is months old.  Santana's in room 212. Tell the nurse you're 'here to see your mother' to get buzzed through."

Head to the building on the beach and see what sort of state it's in. Attempt to strike up a conversation about the storm with any staff (preferably researchers) hanging around it or, if it's still standing, inside. If necessary, portray myself as just an interested person working at the university.

You drive down to the beach and follow the signs to the research center. The building you find is a squat thing, half buried in the sand, a concrete bunker built more for rugged reliability than looks. There is some damage to it, namely the front doors are being replaced and some windows as well.  Rows of books are set out on the sand, laying open with their pages towards the sun, apparently trying to dry them out to some degree.  You catch a young man who is switching out a few well dried books for some still damp ones. You ask him about the storm and he calls it a hell of a storm and very odd. Seemed to build up out of nowhere. He wants to research into it some more but a few of the higher ups are against it.

"Well, shall we prepare for a stroll to the park?"

Ailn tilts her head pointedly to the cabinet containing the eye orb.

"I think it would be a good idea to bring the eye along. We would be able to snap photos of the place and show it to the eye afterwards, but if we actually bring it the scholar can help show us what we should be looking at.
Of course, it's risky. If we bring the eye somewhere, we need to be able to protect it. I recommend that everyone who's coming on this expedition arm yourselves, if you can. If you have the connections to get a firearm but need more money, I can help you."

Now, think we need to buy zipline harnesses for each of us to get across the river in the park. I'll buy enough of them that I can be sure we'll have enough for everyone who wants to come. 7 or so, depending how many come packaged together.
There was already a carriage on the line, but it would be a good idea to buy an extra one, just in case.

You head to a camping store and buy 7 harnesses and an extra carriage for the line, all for 70 bucks. They throw in a bunch of carabiners too.

Alexis waited patiently in the waiting room for the tour to start. Dipping her fingers into her purse, Alexis touched the large can of bear mace and felt more protected against the servant of the Silent One, whoever they may be. She highly doubted they would be silent for long after choking on a faceful of capsaicin. As she looked at the clock on the wall, Alexis decided to:

Make small talk with those who are also going on the tour. Who knows, maybe the conversations may lead to something she can investigate later...

[7] You make smalltalk with the slowly gathering group. Most are old people, generally couples. You suppose a tour of a hospital isn't exactly on the top of the list for most people. Still, you find out a few interesting things; namely that almost everyone here is here because someone told them that there is a very beautiful water feature in the building. Some of them refer to it as a "Moon pool" despite that not really making sense. A moon pool is the opening in the bottom of  a ship that lets people get in and out of the water.  Unless its some other meaning? Or a double entendre?

A guide shows up a bit later and tells everyone to gather round. She's wearing a blue dress, almost like a airline stewardess, and you notice a little enamel pin of a crescent moon on her collar. 

"I've already been thinking of buying a gun, what with the dream I had. I'll be back once I've got one."

Buy a gun, a pistol or a revolver should suffice.
You spend 150 dollars at a pawn shop getting yourself a rather oversized revolver and then 10 dollars at the sporting good store getting a box of ammunition. Its the sort of gun that you're pretty sure people can hunt big game with.

Find some surveyor's maps of the park, and see if I can sort out the location of the town that I couldn't vist yesterday.  If I can locate it, does it look like there's a better route there?  Also, is anything known about the history of the location?

Cut off my investigations if the deliveries arrive.

[9]
You head to city hall and get some maps, paying 10 dollars for a copy of them.  You take them back to the lab and lay them out, searching for the position of the town. You find it easily enough, tracing your path back to it from the main road. Its marked as "LUNA (abnd)" on the map with a little icon of a dilapidated building. You search roads to it and find there is a road that connects to it from another direction, but its a much longer drive, basically circling round to the other side of the park and then coming in.  You note also that the other road, the one on the other side of the fork, leads to a dead end and the icon of a cabin. The icon indicates a private lodging but nothing else.

A knock comes from the door and you open it to find boxes and delivery men.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 30, 2019, 11:23:14 am »

Hm. Go for a walk. Consider what thing I most want to cut up.
Then, back to the university basement.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:59:13 pm by Egan_BW »
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 30, 2019, 04:24:02 pm »

Talk to the researcher some more; subtly try to encourage them to research into the storm and express my own interest in finding out the cause of it. Why would anyone reasonable be opposed to it? If it happened again it might cause great damage and loss of life.

I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #430 on: January 30, 2019, 05:01:08 pm »

((Oh dear. Looks like the influence of Flux is really far reaching. I'm not sure exactly how one can escape an organization that seems to have such influence. At least they seem somewhat disorganized. Unless... If they have something like the Scholar's orb, then that would be their obvious weakness.))

To the Hospital! But first a stop at the courthouse to get the record of arrests and find the names of the kidnappers.

Make a call to the Cult HQ and let whoever's there know what I've learned about Flux's influence and the names of the arrested.

Then make my way to the hospital and see if that password actually works.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 05:16:09 pm by Parisbre56 »

Hotfire90

« Reply #431 on: January 31, 2019, 11:53:00 am »

Get back to the basement, make sure my revolver is loaded and count how much ammunition I got in total.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 31, 2019, 11:49:22 pm »

Accept the deliveries, and move the boxes towards where I want to set up the photo lab.  Make sure everything's here, and, if time permits, begin setting things up.  Don't spend all day, though, I want to explore that abandoned town.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 03, 2019, 11:24:53 am »

Commence the tour then! Use one Favor to permanently increase Awareness so that nothing would be missed.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #434 on: February 06, 2019, 03:32:40 pm »

Hm. Go for a walk. Consider what thing I most want to cut up.
Then, back to the university basement.

Ailn goes for a walk and considers knife.  He thinks that....a person is probably best but anything living will probably be at least ok.  Yeah. That would be good.

Talk to the researcher some more; subtly try to encourage them to research into the storm and express my own interest in finding out the cause of it. Why would anyone reasonable be opposed to it? If it happened again it might cause great damage and loss of life.

[2]
Alex tries to convince the researcher to do more research into the cause of the sudden storm and wave but the researcher finds endless excuses and ways to back out of it.

((Oh dear. Looks like the influence of Flux is really far reaching. I'm not sure exactly how one can escape an organization that seems to have such influence. At least they seem somewhat disorganized. Unless... If they have something like the Scholar's orb, then that would be their obvious weakness.))

To the Hospital! But first a stop at the courthouse to get the record of arrests and find the names of the kidnappers.

Make a call to the Cult HQ and let whoever's there know what I've learned about Flux's influence and the names of the arrested.

Then make my way to the hospital and see if that password actually works.

You head over to the courthouse and check the list of arrests. You remember what several of those guys looked like and are rather shocked to find that none of them are on the list.

You head over to the HQ, tell Sean about the influence of Flux at the hospital (in whispers so as not to arouse suspicion in the delivery guys), and then over to the hospital. At the hospital you ask to see Santana and give the password you learned. The nurse nods and gives you a key which has a room number written on it. Looks like its on the second floor.

Get back to the basement, make sure my revolver is loaded and count how much ammunition I got in total.
You travel to the HQ and check your ammo count. 50 total.

Accept the deliveries, and move the boxes towards where I want to set up the photo lab.  Make sure everything's here, and, if time permits, begin setting things up.  Don't spend all day, though, I want to explore that abandoned town.

Getting everything in takes a while and unpacking it takes even longer. So you just set it to the side for now and get ready to explore the town.

Commence the tour then! Use one Favor to permanently increase Awareness so that nothing would be missed.

The tour is mostly banal and standard information. Some history about how the place was founded by one of the heir's of the Deere tractor fortune, about how it slowly grew over time, about the distinctive dome installed in the 70's and about the way they carefully keep the woods around it well maintained so that patients feel a sense of calming isolation. The tour ends at the "Moon Pool" which is a large pool of water  sitting under that dome they talked about earlier. The pool is only a few feet deep but is rather distinctive because of the mural covering the tiles under the water. Its something like Van Gogh's Starry Night, all swirling blues and points of yellow with a massive full moon directly in the center.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36