Author Topic: CULT  (Read 71668 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: CULT
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2018, 06:13:15 pm »

Walton sighs.

"Look, if you're going to have a discussion about who gets to carry the orb for now I'm just going to join mister Still to check out the church."

Nip over to my house quickly and see if I can't grab a weapon I brought with me from Japan or 'Nam. Something that's not too hard to hide. Then join Alexander (tophat) in going to check out the church.

Spoiler: Walton J. Murphy (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2018, 06:23:42 pm »

"That's fine, but please don't carry the orb around more than necessary.  What if there's another cult in the town and someone recognizes it?  It stays here until we've decided on a temple."

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2018, 08:25:53 pm »

"Well the church could be our fallback location should things go south, Sean," Alexis said. "As for the New Age shop, we can simply meet up there after hours..."

Trailing off, Alexis thought of something. "What about that space the university is renting for its science project? We'll be able to conduct our affairs there and the room will be inside a place of learning? Perhaps I can go and inquire about the price and we can pool our finances?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2018, 05:15:57 am »

"What are you doing?  We don't need to set up the temple where everyone knows where we're at.  We can just use her space as a meeting room, and get all we want from her.  We should keep the temple somewhere secret.  I don't want to build a temple to the god of secrets in a public area where everyone knows where we're at.  And an active store means people wandering in at all hours.  Putting it there is just dumb."

The church should be where we set up the temple, as it's the only location where we're unlikely to attract the notice from others.  The other areas are useful, but that's the only one that's secret.
"Oh, people holding a meeting in a store known to hold weird meetings with weird objects is suspicious? People with strange tools in a university research lab are suspicious? People dressed weirdly going to a nude club is suspicious? And an old church suddenly getting visited by tons of people, people who live there, people who trespass there, that's the one that's not suspicious? I think you got it all backwards friend. The best way to hide is to look normal, to go to the places where weird is normal."
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 05:17:56 am by Parisbre56 »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2018, 07:35:19 am »

Go to the University to check the space out. If asked say I'm representing a startup that's looking for a place where they could gather information and perhaps in the future test their products.

Is this place secure (locked doors, etc)?
Is this place discreet (no huge windows, no connected labs, etc)?
Can we come and go as we please? Or are there restrictions?
Is there equipment in the basement? Can we request access to more equipment? Would that cost extra?

What are the renting mechanics like? Roll every month?

Spoiler: Helen "The Recorder" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:44:59 pm by Parisbre56 »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2018, 09:29:01 am »

Spend the point of favor on increasing Strength to d12, maxing it out as is only right and proper for a Street Fighter character.

Then accompany the others to the Church, and quietly case the place.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2018, 09:37:04 am »

"The University might be okay.  But it would be normal for people to have meetings in a store like that, just not ones where weird stuff actually happens.  The best way to look normal would be to choose a place where nothing interesting happens and nobody wants to go there, such as an office with a sign of a boring accounting firm.  Then it doesn't matter if we go around chanting in a room covered in sigils written in blood, as nobody would ever want to enter the office."

"For the church, we just need to put a signboard out front and pick a really boring name, and sure, people would notice people going to the church, but if it looks boring and unattractive nobody will want to come in.  We could also put some scaffolding up outside it, and a sign saying it's closed for renovations, and we'll be safe."

"With the university, well, we wouldn't be handling our building systems.  Electricity, heating, cooling, and janitorial would be seperate services, so there's no really keeping a room or area truly private."

"That said, all of them seem workable, I just favor the church because it seems like the one that's easiest to make a solid front for, and the one where we wouldn't expect to have too many people walking in.  Plus it could remain locked most of the time without being suspicious."
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 01:27:42 pm by Devastator »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2018, 10:07:15 am »

Try to use my connections to get information regarding the location of books about the occult or tomes that have sigils similar to the one of the Scholar in Red.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2018, 10:08:18 am »

"You have a point Sean," Alexis said as she prepared to accompany Helen to the university. "However, let's scout out these places, if only to keep our options open."

Accompany Helen to check out the other places. Use connections to smooth things out in the group's favor. Also, go home for a bit to cook food and clean the house for the husband.

Spoiler: Alexis L. Cromwald (click to show/hide)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2018, 01:24:29 pm »

Ptw

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2018, 04:35:08 pm »

"We should go for the abandoned church. Plenty of room, less expectations than a book shop."

Walk up to the orb and pick it up. Examine it and put it in my bag for safekeeping.
Use a point of Favor to increase my Endurance.

You pick up the orb and examine it. It feels tingy to the touch, as though there's a very mild current running through it, and when you turn the engraved eye to face you, you get the feeling something is looking at you out of it. The ball itself feels like glazed ceramic and has a strange amount of  heft to it.  You put it in your bag.

You call out for help and feel your body change. Your skin grows thicker, more calloused, your sense of sensation grows more dull, the sharp edges of ache and pain taken off.

Go to my house, grab loads of sleeping bags and a microwave, and grab a frozen pizza.
Also, grab the large(super big!) rechargeable battery pack that's in my garage.

“I got the food!”
Edited

Spoiler: Robert o'conner (click to show/hide)
[4]
You head home and start gathering food. You pull your old sleeping bags out of storage, you have 6 of them, 8 if you count the too small child sized ones you have from...somewhere. You pile them into the car before lugging your microwave in and setting it in the passenger seat, clipping the belt around it to keep it in place. Then you head out and check your garage for the battery. Its designed to provide power for camping and has a built in tire pump. Its not a generator and won't  last long if used continuously, but as long as you turn it off and use it sparingly it should last for a while.

I'm with you on the bookstore lady; if she gets a lot of occult-seekers through her shop she should be useful for picking out potential new members. The nightclub I'm not sure on; it could be a good base in the city, though perhaps not what our patron has in mind for a main place of worship.

The church could be good, though the rumours of Satanists there could attract investigation from other parties. I'd be happy to go check it out, though. Anyone care to join me?"

Go to check out the church. Catch a bus if there are any going the right way; otherwise pick up my car (possessions roll?) and drive up.

Spoiler: Alexander Sill (click to show/hide)
[5] You head back home, walking till you reach a bus stop and then taking it (-$3) back the rest of the way. Your car is where you left it, under a cover outside your home. You pull the cover off to reveal a jeep. Not one of those nambypamby civilian models but a honest to god military issue Kaiser Jeep M715 truck straight from somewhere in the second world war.  You'd bought it off a military surplus dealer years ago and kept her in fine working order. You brush some dirt of the dark blue paint job you'd given it and hop in, gunning it out of the lot with a roar.

The drive to the church is uneventful but takes longer than you thought; the place isn't exactly easy to find or easy to get to. Once you see it though, standing like a faded monolith out in the waving yellow tall grass, you can't ignore it. You exit off the 101 and head out across access roads past carefully kept and irrigated farmland, squat houses, barns and empty space till you hit a dirt road and expanse of clearly untended land. The tall grasses and shrubs native to the area have retaken the abandoned property and partially obscured the old mission. Its a small church, its spire not more than two or maybe three stories at best with heavy white washed adobe walls and a similar perimeter fence, now overgrown with weeds and plants. An old tree that probably once provided shade in the courtyard of the building has grown wild and huge, shattering its concrete planter and sending roots out to overturn paving stones and gnarl the entry stairs. A thick coating of yellowed leaves covers the courtyard and there are graffiti tags on the outer wall of the church. 

You park the Jeep outside the wall and wander in, crossing the courtyard to the wooden double doors. You have to shoulder your way in even though the door is partially open already. The church is an old style thing, nothing but a main room with a few smaller rooms in back for the priest. Those rooms are now empty of everything except leaves and some trash, evidence of past squatters. The main room is lined with tall but thin square windows down its length, a partially rotted and overgrown wooden floor and dozens of long wooden benches that must have served as pews. They're scattered about helterskelter now and the pulpit has been damaged by something and is twisted at an angle, only partially connected to the floor anymore.

"When I said that the nude club would be an asset, I meant that it would be useful for income, not as a base."

Head off to the old lady in her new age shop, if I haven't told her my name yet, introduce myself as Thomas Spencer and try to recruit her. Mention that our cult is still establishing itself and that our goal is to discover the secrets of the world.

Spoiler: Richard Reed (click to show/hide)
You take the bus back into town (-$3) and head back to the Serpent, intent on bringing the old woman (what was her name again?) into the fold. You turn the corner onto the shop's street and immediately slow your pace. Outside the shop is a group of maybe a dozen men and woman, mostly women, with signs painted on large cardboard sheets. The signs say things like "The New Age Is The Path To Damnation!" and "Protect Your Children From The Occult!" and the protestors chant similar slogans. They seem to be picketing the shop, shouting at anyone who so much as walks past and shoving blue paper pamphlets into unwilling hands.  You consider for a moment if it would be wise to walk into the shop, as things are. It would connect you to the occult in those protestor's minds, but with her shop under siege and her morality and world view questioned, this woman would be vulnerable. It might be the perfect time to secure her loyalty.

"Well, if you excuse me, I'll be checking out that nude club. Feel free to join me ladies." Lance says coyly, heading out the abandoned building.

Investigate "The Library" with anyone else who wants to follow. See how large the place is, if it's still open after the owner got arrested, and most importantly, what's the fee for admission?

Spoiler: Lance Robbins (click to show/hide)
You take the bus (-$3) out to the "Library". Its actually not far from the abandoned building, up near a construction company, just off the main road. The place has a rented chainlink fence set up all around it with signs warning about trespassing; you can't even get into the parking lot. The building itself is squat and ugly as sin- rather fittingly maybe. Its solid black, with a stucco exterior that makes it look like a lumpy mess. A cloth awning sits over the door, also black, with an elaborate "THE LIBRARY" stenciled onto it in gold calligraphy. At the entrance to the parking lot is a concrete pillar with a big sign hanging off of it. The sign reads "GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS GORGEOUS LIBRARIANS" in red letters on a white background. The place reeks of skeeze and cheap immorality. And judging on the location, its the sort of place no one would call the cops when they hear strange noises.

"I've found my way into a job at the University as a librarian. I'll see whether or not it shows any promise as a source of information."

Spend a point of favor to increase Awareness.

Go to the university and work, while using my time there to also look for anything that would be of interest to us: occult or otherwise weird texts, building blueprints, mentions of cult activities (in newspaper archives), etc. Also keep an eye out to see if anyone has checked out or is interested in suspicious books.

Spoiler: Ex-Writer (click to show/hide)
You cry out to the Scholar and feel your mind grow sharper, your vision focus, and your comprehension of whats around you become acutely better.
[7]
You spend your time as librarian half focused on your work, half focused on searching, hiding your not so productive actions as best you can. You don't find anything really interesting in terms of the occult, but you do find a lot of newspaper stories from recent months detailing something called the "League for Christian Mothers" and its "Fight to eradicate any harmful occult influence on children". The leader is some woman named Diane Flemming, shown in pictures as a middle aged woman with hard gaunt features, frizzy blonde hair and oversized spectacles. You memorize the information about her and the league, figuring it might come in handy later. Eventually you'd be bound to butt heads.

Spend the point of favor on increasing Strength to d12, maxing it out as is only right and proper for a Street Fighter character.

Then accompany the others to the Church, and quietly case the place.

You ask silently for strength and feel it enter your body like a drug, your muscles growing taut and powerful.

You accompany Alexander to the church, riding shotgun.

Walton sighs.

"Look, if you're going to have a discussion about who gets to carry the orb for now I'm just going to join mister Still to check out the church."

Nip over to my house quickly and see if I can't grab a weapon I brought with me from Japan or 'Nam. Something that's not too hard to hide. Then join Alexander (tophat) in going to check out the church.

Spoiler: Walton J. Murphy (click to show/hide)
[6]
You catch a ride with Alexander, stopping off at your house to pick up a weapon. You go with your Remington Model 870 “Riot” shotgun. Its sawn off barrel and pistol grip stock (a personal modification) make it easy to hide and easy to use  close range. You make sure its loaded and throw a handful of rounds into your pocket before heading back to the car.

Once you reach the church you stay behind Alexander, leaving the exploration to him while you stay alert for threats. None show themselves.

"You have a point Sean," Alexis said as she prepared to accompany Helen to the university. "However, let's scout out these places, if only to keep our options open."

Accompany Helen to check out the other places. Use connections to smooth things out in the group's favor. Also, go home for a bit to cook food and clean the house for the husband.

Go to the University to check the space out. If asked say I'm representing a startup that's looking for a place where they could gather information and perhaps in the future test their products.

Is this place secure (locked doors, etc)?
Is this place discreet (no huge windows, no connected labs, etc)?
Can we come and go as we please? Or are there restrictions?
Is there equipment in the basement? Can we request access to more equipment? Would that cost extra?

What are the renting mechanics like? Roll every month?

Spoiler: Helen "The Recorder" (click to show/hide)
Alexis and Helen take the bus (-$3) into town and stop by Alexis' house for an hour or so, taking the time to cook and clean enough to keep up Alexis' carefully maintained masquerade  before heading to the university. Finding the science research lab annex is a bit difficult; they wander around for a while until they find the squat, single story building. It is differentiated from the other similarly squat and unassuming buildings only by the dozens of silver fume hood chimneys rising from the roof. The pair of women walk in, expecting to find a receptionist but instead just find an open room with hallways leading off in different directions. They follow signs to the administration rooms and spend several minutes talking with an old (and perhaps slightly senile) man who eventually understands that they're here to rent the space under the building and want to see it. He- in the midst of a sandwich- is loath to help them find it so he just gives them the key and points them the right way.

The key opens a stairway nearby that leads down a level, through a concrete double staircase and into  a short hall that terminates in a pair of reverse pressure doors. The room beyond those doors is quite simple; its really two rooms partially separated in the center by a dividing wall with a 10 foot opening in the center. Both sides are symmetrical, about 20 feet wide and 30 feet long with 8 foot solid concrete ceilings. The floors and walls are tiled in white linoleum, and the floors are very slightly canted toward the center where a round metal drain sits, ready to accept spills.  There are metal counters running along three walls of each room and the far room has a large fume hood on its back wall. There are electrical outlets evenly spaced along the length of the walls and several ventilation fans in the ceiling. The place is cool, very quiet, and isolated.

Try to use my connections to get information regarding the location of books about the occult or tomes that have sigils similar to the one of the Scholar in Red.

[2]
You call (-$1) several people you know with their own connections to the occult. When you ask them about the scholar in red they seem not to know what you're talking about. You ask them to look into it but you get the distinct feeling they won't find anything. They seem...rather unwilling to help.

[connections -1 level]

IT IS NOON

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2018, 04:58:14 pm »

Walton stuffs his hands into the pockets of his peacoat.

"Well, this place is looking kinda dreary. We should give those rooms at the back a once over though, just in case. And keep our eyes open for a basement of some kind. Rumours of satanist cults and hidden basements tend to go together pretty well.

He looks over at Alexander Stills for a moment, sizing him up.

"By the way, Alexander, was it? From the look of you, you used to be an army man. How's your aim?"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2018, 05:00:24 pm »

"Hmm. I think the Scholar can see us through the engraved eye. Maybe it can listen too. Or read mouths?"

Hold the orb and turn it so the eye is facing me. Tell it about the different places that we've found, ask which would be best.
Afterwards leave the orb here, assuming someone else is there to watch it. Go to the bank and find out if I could buy the abandoned church outright, or if we would need to pool our money.

Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Hotfire90

« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2018, 05:10:43 pm »

"Greetings, is there a problem?"

Ask the protestors about their group, why they're protesting, willingly accept one of their pamphlets and try to defuse the situation.

If asked about my connection with the old woman, tell them that I was looking to buy a bookstore and that she needed to think about it and that I should return later.

Spoiler: Richard Reed (click to show/hide)

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2018, 06:41:31 pm »

Scanning around the room, Alexis took a deep breath and savored the faint smells that a laboratory would be expected to have. Sure it was bare-bones as it currently is but with a few rugs and decor to spruce up the place, this can be the perfect place to set up a temple for the Scholar in Red, provided that the others agreed to use this place. instead of a dusty church in the middle of nowhere or a nude club with the wrong name.

"This seems like a good place to set up, other than the fact that the utilities are a separate bill from the rent," Alexis said as she turned to Helen. "However, if the other choose this location as well, I may be able to negotiate a favorable price."

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 36