Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game Does not apply foreground color for custom sprites.  (Read 1497 times)

Relicspread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game Does not apply foreground color for custom sprites.
« on: July 25, 2023, 02:11:54 pm »

I have been adding a bunch of creatures and thought it would be time to add statue sprite for them. I copy paste some sprites over on top of a copy of an existing statue sprite sheet and change them to gray scale. In game however the foreground color is not applied (the statues do not take the color of the material), however due to a mistake in assigning sprites some of my statues use remaining vanilla sprites that I hadn't pasted over yet, and those had the correct foreground color.

With some more testing I figure out that if I use the color picker tool on a vanilla sprite I can use that gray and have it work correctly, but not grays I make myself so to speak. There is clearly some difference between grays and grays that I am not aware of. I am new to image editing, is this some software problem where the editor I am using (paint.net) is unable to make the correct grays or is there some value or such I can change?

Transferring vanilla colors and repainting all my sprites sounds like way too much work so if that is my only option I'll just live with gray statues and default cubes.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game Does not apply foreground color for custom sprites.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 12:55:57 pm »

There are very specific grey values that are used for material coloring.

To see what they are, look in:

Dwarf Fortress\data\vanilla\vanilla_descriptors_graphics\graphics\images\palettes.png

The very top row of pixels are the greys to be replaced by material colors.